Sponsored

Next-Gen Uconnect 5 Infotainment System Gains Wireless CarPlay and More

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It'll probably make its way when the Wrangler gets a midlife cycle refresh like the JK had in 2010. It'll debut in the WL Grand Cherokee first before it ever is seen in the Wrangler.
I don't see the JL getting a substantial midcycle refresh like the JK did. The TJ and YJ never really got one because they were fairly solid out of the gate. When Fiat bought Chrysler, it was Marchionne himself who admitted the JK interior and powertrain were garbage and said it deserved better. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the JL is gonna live off the current parts bin well after other Jeep and FCA vehicles have moved on.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I would look for this on the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer first, Q2 of '21.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Someone smack the ever living hell out of me the next time I talk about buying a 1st model year "it'll be up to date for 5+ years!"

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Someone smack the ever living hell out of me the next time I talk about buying a 1st model year "it'll be up to date for 5+ years!"
I just yelled at my Jeep the other night in front of my wife, something to the effect of "Why can't the effing Android Auto connection be wireless?!?" S'alright, it'll be 5 more years before they work the kinks out.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just yelled at my Jeep the other night in front of my wife, something to the effect of "Why can't the effing Android Auto connection be wireless?!?" S'alright, it'll be 5 more years before they work the kinks out.
Just tell yourself that if you used wireless you'd still have to constantly charge your phone so you'll be looking for a cable anyway.. that's what I do to make me feel better lol

At least my AA is pretty reliable now, too! 2018 was rough. It always broke when I was on a road trip.

edit: Oh, you were probably cursing it because your wired connection broke.. ahh memories. If that's still a problem it completely went away when I upgraded from an S8 to an S10! Going to jinx myself but I haven't had that happen in a long time. And holy crap AA is so much faster on this phone. I have a feeling a lot of power goes into running AA on the phones end and it's not just a mirrored display, but I'm not really sure.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Just tell yourself that if you used wireless you'd still have to constantly charge your phone so you'll be looking for a cable anyway.. that's what I do to make me feel better lol

At least my AA is pretty reliable now, too! 2018 was rough. It always broke when I was on a road trip.

edit: Oh, you were probably cursing it because your wired connection broke.. ahh memories. If that's still a problem it completely went away when I upgraded from an S8 to an S10! Going to jinx myself but I haven't had that happen in a long time. And holy crap AA is so much faster on this phone. I have a feeling a lot of power goes into running AA on the phones end and it's not just a mirrored display, but I'm not really sure.
Yeah, I'm using a 10 as well, super fluid connection. But when there is only one wire in the car and my wife is complaining because the kids have to be able to reach her and her battery is almost dead because, you know, facebook for 3 hours, it makes me wish I could just connect wirelessly, as my battery is still at 80%, but I can't so I have to disconnect Google maps and any music I'm streaming so she can charge.
People always use the infuriating cliche "happy wife, happy life" to which I always respond "What, in the name of gawd, is a happy wife? Is it like a 2-door manual diesel JL? Is it like a Rubicon with Selec-Trac? Is it like a military colored Wrangler made after 2018? Mythical..."

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'm using a 10 as well, super fluid connection. But when there is only one wire in the car and my wife is complaining because the kids have to be able to reach her and her battery is almost dead because, you know, facebook for 3 hours, it makes me wish I could just connect wirelessly, as my battery is still at 80%, but I can't so I have to disconnect Google maps and any music I'm streaming so she can charge.
People always use the infuriating cliche "happy wife, happy life" to which I always respond "What, in the name of gawd, is a happy wife? Is it like a 2-door manual diesel JL? Is it like a Rubicon with Selec-Trac? Is it like a military colored Wrangler made after 2018? Mythical..."
Ironically there's a million various cables in my jeep to use, except I refuse to let anyone plug them into my ports when I'm using AA because that was what broke it in 2018 99% of the time.. lol

I remember sitting at a gas station on a 4 hour drive, last 2 hours of it, my Juul (I know) died and I looked at the 2nd usb port, went "I bet this will break my AA and make me have to use my phone for the next 2 hours for music/maps" jokingly, laughed, plugged in the charger, popped on my Juul, started Jeep and no phone connection. SiriusXM all the way home.. ugh.

Need to baby-passenger lock those ports.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Ironically there's a million various cables in my jeep to use, except I refuse to let anyone plug them into my ports when I'm using AA because that was what broke it in 2018 99% of the time.. lol

I remember sitting at a gas station on a 4 hour drive, last 2 hours of it, my Juul (I know) died and I looked at the 2nd usb port, went "I bet this will break my AA and make me have to use my phone for the next 2 hours for music/maps" jokingly, laughed, plugged in the charger, popped on my Juul, started Jeep and no phone connection. SiriusXM all the way home.. ugh.

Need to baby-passenger lock those ports.
That's what you get for Juuling...(Wranglers quit smoking when the YJ was retired)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Looks awful, glad I have the current one. Also, thank god for Apple CarPlay so I can avoid using most of this trash. Also, the 12" screen in the truck is also awful. Would literally pay to downgrade it. I don't mind the huge tablet size screen in the Tesla, but it seems like other companies are massively missing the boat with the larger screens and moving all physical controls to a screen.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I am not really sure what the point of adding all that extra crap is.
Alexa? Why would I want Amazon listening to my in my car. Hey, I notice you are at the autoparts store, maybe I will flood our amazon launch page with autoparts stuff. No thanks.
Also, near as makes no difference every single person has either an iPhone or Android phone. Which means they will use carplay of AA all the time and never the native features. And why not? Maps are always the latest, google assistant works well, notifications are right there.
Seems better to offer a dumb system that just has radio / sat radio and AA/Carplay and offload everything to your phone via mirroring.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Great, more and more complicated electronics. More things to break down, and complicate things.

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
I am not really sure what the point of adding all that extra crap is.
Alexa? Why would I want Amazon listening to my in my car. Hey, I notice you are at the autoparts store, maybe I will flood our amazon launch page with autoparts stuff. No thanks.
Also, near as makes no difference every single person has either an iPhone or Android phone. Which means they will use carplay of AA all the time and never the native features. And why not? Maps are always the latest, google assistant works well, notifications are right there.
Seems better to offer a dumb system that just has radio / sat radio and AA/Carplay and offload everything to your phone via mirroring.
I often wonder why they bother with spending money on navigation features too since mobile nav is so prolific now. What baffles me even more is how some manufacturers are actually still charging for yearly map updates on the nav!!

I’m sure you’ll be able to turn the Alexa functionality off, and I will be as well. I value privacy and I don’t need amazon giving FCA money so that they can incorporate in Alexa to gain a full new treasure trove of data inputs for marketing and advertising.

The only thing I thought was cool was the wireless CarPlay (I’m sure it’ll be buggy to boot) and the better hardware for a more responsive experience, simultaneous phone connections and multi user accounts. I’m wondering if you can tie a user account with each key... So my wife and I use our separate keys and our profiles load up. They could incorporate a lot of creature comforts around that feature.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Uconnect is already not the best platform for security... adding something like Alexa to it just doesn't sit well with me. Hopefully these features can be fully disabled easily.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Honestly, if GaiGps mastered use over Carplay, I would need anything else on the Uconnect.
Sponsored