Sponsored

Next Gen (JM?) Wrangler 2-Door - Think it'll be longer?

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Astronaut
I'll concede, it may be more than one right answer or reason. However, CAFE standards were largely unchanged from 1984 to 2010. The four-door Wrangler, the Dakar, was first released as a concept in 1997, and it is my contention this was based on consumer interest in a four-door model. The alternative methods for determining efficiency (relative to vehicle size) were introduced much later (20 years later, 2017).
In 2006, CAFE altered the formula for its 2011 fuel economy targets, by calculating a vehicleā€™s ā€œfootprintā€, which is the vehicleā€™s wheelbase multiplied by its wheel track. The footprint is expressed in square feet, and calculating this value is probably the most transparent part of the regulations. Fuel economy targets are a function of a vehicleā€™s footprint; the smaller the footprint, the tougher the standards are.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
My point is the four-door Wrangler pre-dates that by at least 15 years.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Something of note...When it comes to the 2-dr soft top, most of the volume behind the rear seat gets completely swallowed up when the top is folded down. The rigid corners of the side windows make it difficult cram it all in back there too. The rear window doesn't really role up like past generations did either. I kinda miss the zippered windows... While slightly more difficult, they took up WAY less space rolled up.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
In 2006, CAFE altered the formula for its 2011 fuel economy targets, by calculating a vehicleā€™s ā€œfootprintā€, which is the vehicleā€™s wheelbase multiplied by its wheel track. The footprint is expressed in square feet, and calculating this value is probably the most transparent part of the regulations. Fuel economy targets are a function of a vehicleā€™s footprint; the smaller the footprint, the tougher the standards are.
This was reportedly a factor in the demise of the Ram Classic standard cab short bed for 23 according to a couple articles I read.

whitechocolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
The LJ you could actually put a hard cooler behind the rear seat... add 6 inches back there, wheelbase or out back and make the rear seat 50/50 split fold and you gain a ton of function that the bronco 2 door has. Makes it much more useful for a daily driver..
If there was an after market seat that did that, i would buy it in a sec. I love my 2d and wouldnt go to a 4.

Sponsored

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
Something of note...When it comes to the 2-dr soft top, most of the volume behind the rear seat gets completely swallowed up when the top is folded down. The rigid corners of the side windows make it difficult cram it all in back there too. The rear window doesn't really role up like past generations did either. I kinda miss the zippered windows... While slightly more difficult, they took up WAY less space rolled up.
When I had my JK I could slide the side windows under the rear seat, then roll up the rear window and set it in the cargo area.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The windows were quite a bit smaller too though.

Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

This ^^^^^. I readily admit that I'm not a true Jeeper. I got my JKU in 2017 and now my JLU in 2021 because I just love the boxy, unique look and ease of modification of a Wrangler (despite the compromised ride). There is the possibility of some light off-roading in my future but I never have, which I assume is the case with most Wrangler owners.

I mention all of this because I know the use cases of Wranglers for those on this site tends to be 'function' first but the rest of the 95% of Wrangler buyers are like me, 'form' first. We just like how the damn thing looks.

Do I need the space of a a JLU? Nope, it's just me and the wife, no kids. But would I consider the JL? Also nope. I get the appeal of JLs for the purists but for the masses, I think they appear too 'dinky' and lack space for the occasions they'd need it.

But.....every time I see a 2 door Bronco on bigger tires, I think, man, they look just right. It has just the right proportions with that bit of extra space. I know any praise of a Bronco is blasphemy on this forum but I feel JLs don't get love because I think the general population also sees JLs as dinky and lacking space.

I guarantee if you ask a non Jeeper which they'd prefer, a JL or a 2 door Bronco, they'd pick the bigger 2 door Bronco. I know the purist want the JL to stay smallish. However, I think it would have to grow a bit to become more popular with the masses. And it's when the masses buy em that the bean counters would take notice and start to show the JL more love.
To me the 2 door lifted broncos remind me of the 2 door XJā€™s. I love the look.

AncientCityJL

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR and 2022 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
amateur tattoo artist and semi-professional race car driver
You know, they do already make a stretched 2 door - if they really want to release it. Of course they won't because they're a bunch of Nancys who don't like taking chances. They'd rather play it safe and give us what the magazines tell us we want.

Dynatrac and Dirt-head Fred showed us how it's done in 2018 when they rolled out CODE1 on 42" Maxxis stickies.

It's just a JLU Sport with a back door delete. So a little welding and instant 2 door. And it looks BOSS!
Jeep Wrangler JL Next Gen (JM?) Wrangler 2-Door - Think it'll be longer? CODE1

Jessrawrca

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon 2 Door in High Velocity
Iā€™m not really sure, I love the 2door and now that my kids are older and donā€™t need to rear face in their car seats, I switched back to a 2 door, but I have been watching and less trims are becoming available in 2 doors, so Iā€™m not really sure what the future will be. I doubt theyā€™ll get rid of them completely because a shorter wheel base does have its advantages over longer wheelbases, but most of their money is coming from the 4 doors.

Krowensby

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
No chance the 2dr makes it past this generation.

ETA: There's 2,432 new 2dr on Autotrader right now. There's 21,734 new 4dr.
To that I'd say, snap up a two-door while you can. If Jeep drops the two-door it loses all connection to the pure Jeep heritage. I'm not ragging on 4-door owners. The vehicle makes 100% sense to those how have one. I personally see the four-door as just another SUV with a different set of clothing and real off-road capability. To me, the pure Jeep is still a two-door soft-top.

Willys_Storm

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
You know, they do already make a stretched 2 door - if they really want to release it. Of course they won't because they're a bunch of Nancys who don't like taking chances. They'd rather play it safe and give us what the magazines tell us we want.

Dynatrac and Dirt-head Fred showed us how it's done in 2018 when they rolled out CODE1 on 42" Maxxis stickies.

It's just a JLU Sport with a back door delete. So a little welding and instant 2 door. And it looks BOSS!
Jeep Wrangler JL Next Gen (JM?) Wrangler 2-Door - Think it'll be longer? CODE1
If Jeep builds this I would buy one.
Sponsored