Sponsored

Nexen Roadian MTX 37x12.50r17 evolving review.

Bluegrassjlu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So we've ran Toyo tires for a long time. When our current set of RTs were getting low on tread at 50k miles, my wife needed new tires for her jlur. Thanks to supply shortages from the pandemic 37s have basically became endangered species. When my local shops couldn't get my usual choices I decided to give the Nexens a chance. At $313 a tire compared to $400, and up for other brands that were backordered I felt this was a good deal.

Some facts about the tires.
37x12.50r17
Load Range F
84lb weight
Full depth siping on each block.
Made in Korea.
2 completely different sidewall designs. "Machine" which was designed after transformers, and "Beast" which has scales with claws.

As we put the miles on them, and hit our local trails I'll update what our experiences are with the tires as they aren't widely known.

Initial thoughts:
They ride very smooth on road which surprised me with the load range F rating. They actually ride as good as previous Toyo tires we've ran. We're running 24 psi front, & 22 psi rear with a full contact patch. The road noise is there as a slight hum on par with premium priced brands. They are quieter than our RTs ever were.

They did take a lot of weight to balance, but in fairness to them the installer didn't pay any attention to the red dot that is supposed to be placed at the valve stem. The tires with the dot close to the valve stem took a lot less weight. They run true to size as my Toyos did as well.

I'll try my best to keep this updated with the adventures we take, and we'll see how these tires do on the rocks, and mud that Kentucky offers.

20211123_133253.jpg

20211123_133321.jpg
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good looking tires w/ aggressive sidebiters, look forward to your updates. Looks like Nexen has been investing a bit into their truck tire lineup, their street tires I'm not as much a fan of, their Summer performance tires are quite a bit slicker than other high performance makes.

OP
OP
Bluegrassjlu

Bluegrassjlu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good looking tires w/ aggressive sidebiters, look forward to your updates. Looks like Nexen has been investing a bit into their truck tire lineup, their street tires I'm not as much a fan of, their Summer performance tires are quite a bit slicker than other high performance makes.
They say in their marketing that they've put a lot of engineering into this tire. I know @ultra4jones on Instagram ran their tires in the 2021 4800 class King of the Hammers race, and finished without a single puncture, or tire change. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I have these tires on my jeep now. I've been running them roughly 2500 miles. 3 offroad trips so far. Mostly rocks but found some thick gumbo mud and had no choice but go thru. So far, these tires have held up and performed great. On the street, rocks, simple trails and mud. They have handled driving in the rain perfectly for me. I run them at 32psi (I may drop to 28 for a while just to see how I like it out of curiosity) and I like the ride. I can't comment on the wear yet as it hasn't been enough miles to tell. But there has not been and chunking of the lugs from the off-roading I have done. I usually run them around 8-12psi while offroad. But I am running beadlocks. They have flexed and formed on the rocks great. so far, I have no complaints. They are a little heavy and with my dirtylife beadlocks they are weighing 121lbs on each corner. I think mine weighed roughly 87lbs apiece....

IMG_5353.JPEG

OP
OP
Bluegrassjlu

Bluegrassjlu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have these tires on my jeep now. I've been running them roughly 2500 miles. 3 offroad trips so far. Mostly rocks but found some thick gumbo mud and had no choice but go thru. So far, these tires have held up and performed great. On the street, rocks, simple trails and mud. They have handled driving in the rain perfectly for me. I run them at 32psi (I may drop to 28 for a while just to see how I like it out of curiosity) and I like the ride. I can't comment on the wear yet as it hasn't been enough miles to tell. But there has not been and chunking of the lugs from the off-roading I have done. I usually run them around 8-12psi while offroad. But I am running beadlocks. They have flexed and formed on the rocks great. so far, I have no complaints. They are a little heavy and with my dirtylife beadlocks they are weighing 121lbs on each corner. I think mine weighed roughly 87lbs apiece....

Jeep Wrangler JL Nexen Roadian MTX 37x12.50r17 evolving review. IMG_5353.JPEG
I'm glad to hear they are doing well for you. Ours weighed in at 121 lbs each as well. Not a lot of fun loading them in the back of my 3/4 truck lol.

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm glad to hear they are doing well for you. Ours weighed in at 121 lbs each as well. Not a lot of fun loading them in the back of my 3/4 truck lol.
No it’s not. I took mine to get balanced on a utility trailer. That wasn’t to bad. But putting the spare on the tailgate sucked.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
No it’s not. I took mine to get balanced on a utility trailer. That wasn’t to bad. But putting the spare on the tailgate sucked.
Could be worse. I run 37” Pitbull Rockers. Tires alone are 100lbs. It’s a trick to get the spare on.
These Look like a nice tire I’ll keep an eye on your progress.

OP
OP
Bluegrassjlu

Bluegrassjlu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a chance to weigh the spare wheel/tire. Needless to say they aren't the lightest 37" combo I've had.

20211202_194259.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluegrassjlu

Bluegrassjlu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We had our first snowfall of the year. Nothing major at all. Just a .25-.5" dusting of a slushy, icey mix. My experience has been with mud terrain tires that in snow like this the always tend to slip in these conditions. To my surprise the Nexens performed perfectly. Never slipped once anywhere I went. So for a small mostly ice snowfall they did better than our Toyos did.

20211208_075858.jpg

dreamjeep2020

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 Rubi
We had our first snowfall of the year. Nothing major at all. Just a .25-.5" dusting of a slushy, icey mix. My experience has been with mud terrain tires that in snow like this the always tend to slip in these conditions. To my surprise the Nexens performed perfectly. Never slipped once anywhere I went. So for a small mostly ice snowfall they did better than our Toyos did.

20211208_075858.jpg
I’m currently in the market for tires and was just wondering what your updates impressions are on the Nexens? Thanks!

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’m currently in the market for tires and was just wondering what your updates impressions are on the Nexens? Thanks!
I’m still happy with mine. 11,000+ miles on them and wearing great. Drove 1500 miles one way to moab last September and they rode good at 80mph on the interstate and did great in moab. They done really well off-roading in the mid south area. Hot springs Offroad park in Arkansas and hawk pride in Florence Alabama area.
Sponsored