Newly lifted 2018 JLRU Question about tight turning rubbing/grinding sound

Flpgd73

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
Good Morning! I just had the Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift installed on my 2018 JLRU a few weeks ago. I also had Synergy LCA and rear trackbar as well as a Steersmarts Yeti HD front trackbar installed as well to center the axles and make things look/work properly.

My issue now seems to be whenever I try to make a tight turn, either left or right, into a parking space, I feel the front end like rubbing or grinding and can feel it in the steering wheel.

Also, prior to the Dynatrac lift install, I've never experienced any poor steering or wandering or death wobble. I hit a small bump twice now, post Dynatrac install at about 40 mph and have now experienced death wobble twice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Good Morning! I just had the Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift installed on my 2018 JLRU a few weeks ago. I also had Synergy LCA and rear trackbar as well as a Steersmarts Yeti HD front trackbar installed as well to center the axles and make things look/work properly.

My issue now seems to be whenever I try to make a tight turn, either left or right, into a parking space, I feel the front end like rubbing or grinding and can feel it in the steering wheel.

Also, prior to the Dynatrac lift install, I've never experienced any poor steering or wandering or death wobble. I hit a small bump twice now, post Dynatrac install at about 40 mph and have now experienced death wobble twice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Have someone turn your Jeep slowly while you inspect where the rub is happening. Are you on bigger tires now? Stock rims?

OP
OP
Flpgd73

Flpgd73

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
Have someone turn your Jeep slowly while you inspect where the rub is happening. Are you on bigger tires now? Stock rims?
Sorry! I should have specified that. I am still on stock tires and rims.

I will try that!

Could this be a castor issue, meaning that more needs to be set on the adjustable front trackbar?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Sorry! I should have specified that. I am still on stock tires and rims.

I will try that!

Could this be a castor issue, meaning that more needs to be set on the adjustable front trackbar?
It's not a caster issue, and caster isn't adjusted with the track bar.

OP
OP
Flpgd73

Flpgd73

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
It's not a caster issue, and caster isn't adjusted with the track bar.
Ok, thanks! I'm a little stumped on what's going on here and after reading so many different threads, I have information overload!! ;)

Sponsored

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'll bet the wheels are rubbing against the Synergy LCAs at full lock.

Stock wheels have a lot of positive offset, which sucks the wheel deep into the wheel well, but leaves less room behind it.

Stock LCAs are bent inwards to allow more space. The Synergy arms have a bend too, but the diameter of the tubing makes them bigger than the stock arms.

As far as the death wobble goes, first thing I'd check is the torque on all of the suspension and steering fasteners. Loose bolts/nuts will cause wobble very quickly.

OP
OP
Flpgd73

Flpgd73

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
I'll bet the wheels are rubbing against the Synergy LCAs at full lock.

Stock wheels have a lot of positive offset, which sucks the wheel deep into the wheel well, but leaves less room behind it.

Stock LCAs are bent inwards to allow more space. The Synergy arms have a bend too, but the diameter of the tubing makes them bigger than the stock arms.

As far as the death wobble goes, first thing I'd check is the torque on all of the suspension and steering fasteners. Loose bolts/nuts will cause wobble very quickly.
Thank You!

So would you suggest then that I add wheel spacers to the front stock wheels to fix this? If so, what size would you recommend? I plan to stay stock wheels at the moment until I need new tires and then at that time, I'm most likely going to go with 35's.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thank You!

So would you suggest then that I add wheel spacers to the front stock wheels to fix this? If so, what size would you recommend? I plan to stay stock wheels at the moment until I need new tires and then at that time, I'm most likely going to go with 35's.
Depends how bad the rubbing is.
If it's only a little, you may consider adjusting your steering stops.
The spacers you'll find are all about 1-3/4" that will likely be way more than you need, and if you only add them to the front it will look funny.

OP
OP
Flpgd73

Flpgd73

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
Depends how bad the rubbing is.
If it's only a little, you may consider adjusting your steering stops.
The spacers you'll find are all about 1-3/4" that will likely be way more than you need, and if you only add them to the front it will look funny.
Thank you! I will have the shop look to see if they can adjust the steering stops.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I can’t see how your stock tires and wheels are rubbing the control arms. Especially Synergy arms. Just turn your wheels lock to lock and look for rubbing. Post some pictures too. It should be pretty evident where, or if there is contact. If there is rubbing I’ll bet the shop installed them backwards.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flpgd73

Flpgd73

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
I can’t see how your stock tires and wheels are rubbing the control arms. Especially Synergy arms. Just turn your wheels lock to lock and look for rubbing. Post some pictures too. It should be pretty evident where, or if there is contact. If there is rubbing I’ll bet the shop installed them backwards.
Thank you! I did as you asked and took some pictures. I personally don’t see anything amiss here but then again, I’m no mechanic.
Here are the pictures I took:

302529BF-AACA-4A8A-A284-54AB71F359A1.jpeg

DFF6ABE5-6502-4CF0-8081-C21A14A16103.jpeg

F2CD593C-EEAD-4B64-B842-4852DAE1265D.jpeg

24901A68-3696-49C8-A975-D42B3D39CA9D.jpeg

6C56727A-5965-448C-B93D-CF5BE9517213.jpeg

D6DA1AD2-A688-4DBB-8739-09D5637D72CE.jpeg

vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I did as you asked and took some pictures. I personally don’t see anything amiss here but then again, I’m no mechanic.
Here are the pictures I took:

D6DA1AD2-A688-4DBB-8739-09D5637D72CE.jpeg
On that last picture, is that a smudge indicative of rubbing on your LCA? If so, I'd say that's the problem.

OP
OP
Flpgd73

Flpgd73

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
On that last picture, is that a smudge indicative of rubbing on your LCA? If so, I'd say that's the problem.
Would that mean that the LCA is not properly installed? I’m not sure I see what you see. Sorry, really trying my best to understand this.

vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Would that mean that the LCA is not properly installed? I’m not sure I see what you see. Sorry, really trying my best to understand this.
Hey don't apologize Pete, it's all good. I circled where I see what appears to be rubbing on your LCA.
24901A68-3696-49C8-A975-D42B3D39CA9D.jpeg

I would look and see if they are installed backwards like @OnlyOne suggested. Not having those LCAs I cannot tell you if they are installed correctly or not. All I can tell you is that I have the Endurosport lift as well with 35s on the Rubi wheels and I don't have any rubbing that I can tell.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That’s it. They’re installed wrong. The bend needs to be toward the inside. Looks like they installed them on the wrong sides.
Sponsored