Sponsored

Newest Mickey Thompsons launching in April!

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good to see that they kept the full tread depth and didn't cheap out at something around 15/32 like some brands have! :clap:
Mickeys have always been a leader and make tires ahead of their time. Ran M/T Baja Belted & Baja King tires back in the early 80s and they were the best back then too! Really looking forward to the reviews on these, I know they'll be exceptional!
Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Even though BFG has a shallower tread depth I look at them like I looked at typical summer performance tires for cars.

For the lower price...

-They might not last as long as others.

-They’re lighter which is desirable to most.

-They have a strong sidewall for being so light.

-And most reviews I’ve seen give a decent all around rating. Anyway, right or wrong, that’s where I was in the process.

I’ll probably help my daughter get some KO2’s.

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Not just singling out the KO2. There are popular Nittos and Toyos that are running undersized tread depth for off road tires as well.. Many sizes of Ridge Grapplers, RTs and the new At3s come to mind.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Even though BFG has a shallower tread depth I look at them like I looked at typical summer performance tires for cars.

For the lower price...

-They might not last as long as others.

-They’re lighter which is desirable to most.

-They have a strong sidewall for being so light.

-And most reviews I’ve seen give a decent all around rating. Anyway, right or wrong, that’s where I was in the process.

I’ll probably help my daughter get some KO2’s.
i am with you going with the 37” BFF ko2 and waiting fir the c ply that is supposed to come out

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Similar, looks like the MTs have a bit more spacing on the outer lugs and more aggressive sidewalls.

As far as Goodyear taking ownership over Cooper, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek. I'm not concerned about any quality downturn w/ any of those tires. I think what we'll see is less tire models per company, eliminating ones that aren't good sellers. I've got a feeling Dick Cepek may go away since their lineup has been shrinking the last few years. Mickey Thompson & Cooper have kept their lineup strong and their popularity seems to be on the uptick.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I don't automatically see it as a bad thing. I'm sure they have plans to do some consolidation and that could hurt areas that have older plants or limited resources. Hopefully any issues will be minor and consumers and employees of the tire companies won't see much of a change.
I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers 6 ply, quiet, & made in USA. Use them also on my Ram Power Wagon in !0 ply. Discount Tire has a good price, which includes Road Force Balancing.

Sponsored

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So looking at the Baja Boss AT vs the Baja ATZ P3, the ATZ looks a bit beefier. I almost wonder if I should jump on those while they are still around. Although I see conflicting reports on weight.

Are both 80 lbs?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So looking at the Baja Boss AT vs the Baja ATZ P3, the ATZ looks a bit beefier. I almost wonder if I should jump on those while they are still around. Although I see conflicting reports on weight.

Are both 80 lbs?
Hard to say regarding weight, but if you can get those 37s for that 25% discount that might seal the deal. Regarding the ATZ being beefier, I really like the new sidewall biters on the Baja Boss AT, those look badass, but the tread block on the ATZ is badass too! So maybe it's a toss-up :) I think both tires are a huge win, but being the newest tire in the Mickey lineup I'm sure there's been some improvements in the overall function, tread life, road noise, and rubber compounds.
Looking forward to seeing the new ones on some members rides soon!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say regarding weight, but if you can get those 37s for that 25% discount that might seal the deal. Regarding the ATZ being beefier, I really like the new sidewall biters on the Baja Boss AT, those look badass, but the tread block on the ATZ is badass too! So maybe it's a toss-up :) I think both tires are a huge win, but being the newest tire in the Mickey lineup I'm sure there's been some improvements in the overall function, tread life, road noise, and rubber compounds.
Looking forward to seeing the new ones on some members rides soon!
I agree the bosshas much better looking sidewall

Sponsored

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have a set of these yet? I really want to see some reviews before I pull the trigger. Not just reviews that Mickey Thompson has put together to try and eliminate bias.

All Terrains dont always have the grip and such of MTs so I want to hear how the grip is on the trails and mud and such.

They seem like a great option for when I go to 37s here soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anyone have a set of these yet? I really want to see some reviews before I pull the trigger. Not just reviews that Mickey Thompson has put together to try and eliminate bias.

All Terrains dont always have the grip and such of MTs so I want to hear how the grip is on the trails and mud and such.

They seem like a great option for when I go to 37s here soon.
@DadJokes got a set
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mickey-thomson-baja-boss-a-t-ordered.69256/
Since he just got them installed I doubt he has too much time w/ them yet. Mickey Thompsons are a top tier tire, and this will be no exception. I wouldn't hesitate to get them, they are a bit on the heavy side though, I just got some Mickey ATZ P3s and the new ATs are few lbs more in the 315/70/17 size (66lbs to 72). FWIW the entire Mickey Thompson line are always top performers off-road, and have exceptional on road behavior too, especially for the aggressive tread blocks.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
There was a thread on these a few months back but can't find it. Emailed Nick Roberto at Mickey Thompson and said they are scheduled to launch mid-April. These look to be a kick ass tire for those wanting a 3 peak snow rated AT w/ 50k mileage rating, aggressive sidewalls, and Mickey Thompsons' legendary off-road performance.
http://www.tractionnews.com/sema-2020-mickey-thompson-baja-boss-at/

Jeep Wrangler JL Newest Mickey Thompsons launching in April! 20210405_073347~2
Nice. I just checked out their site and they have them in a 255/85r17. That's a nice pizza cutter size :rock:

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice. I just checked out their site and they have them in a 255/85r17. That's a nice pizza cutter size :rock:
Yeah, I'd imagine those would do real well for snow & mud "cutting", look forward to actually seeing them on a JL. FWIW here's a shot of the closest thing, that Kenda 35x10.5x17 pizza special :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Newest Mickey Thompsons launching in April! 1619364740102

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys