Sponsored

Newest member to our Jeep family, (Willy's!)

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
You bet buddy!
I'm using a Creality CR-10s, but with ton's of mods to improve it! (There is a wealth of information on how to mod this particular 3D printer). I've printed everything out via PLA filament. I'm having real good luck with the Hatchbox, via Amazon. If you follow the Ossum Willy's Jeep build, via Thingeverse, the originator has built it via ABS filament. I did not want to run at those temp's, so I went with PLA. I'm having great results with PLA!

To folks outside of Dvol and myself. Please be aware, 3D printing can be a Rabbit hole!!!! It's such a fun hobby, so beware. You'll be on an endless path. I can't tell you how many projects I've gone with, just for my granddaughters. It's really a fun hobby, but requires a bit of tuning here and there to get things right.... :)
It’s the hobby version of Jeeps. You just mod then re mod then mod some more lol..

I use hatchbox pla and petg with good results. The cr10 is my next go to for large scale stuff. I have been super happy with the prusa i3 it’s just small.

ABS requires an enclosure and stinks to high hell. I use Pet-G instead with good results. It’s just a bit stringy, but you get used to it.

My prusa needs a retune and tweaks. It’s kind of a family hobby now. Wife is getting better than me at it lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Are the items produced durable?

OP
OP
javelina

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
Very interested in the whole process. I have a prusa mk3 and a scale Rc nerd too lol.

I have not tried to create scale rc from the frame up. That is awesome! More more more!
Buddy, if you haven't seen this, check it out. I use "OctoPrint" to help manage my 3D printer. It IS a cool tool!
It’s the hobby version of Jeeps. You just mod then re mod then mod some more lol..

I use hatchbox pla and petg with good results. The cr10 is my next go to for large scale stuff. I have been super happy with the prusa i3 it’s just small.

ABS requires an enclosure and stinks to high hell. I use Pet-G instead with good results. It’s just a bit stringy, but you get used to it.

My prusa needs a retune and tweaks. It’s kind of a family hobby now. Wife is getting better than me at lol
Check this out. I use Octoprint, via a Raspberry PI, to help manage my print projects that are underway. Works like a champ!
https://octoprint.org/

(Agreed regarding ABS, hence why I stick with PLA for now).

OP
OP
javelina

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
If you're talking about this Jeep, it can be. Depending on your duty cycle. I run my PLA printed vehicles generally inside my home. So not so much of a chance to get into issues, (for needing "super" strength). But, these printers can print much more durable plastics. I'm just not willing to run the chance of "fumes" to do so for the higher temps. Higher temps, higher strengths... (and a chance of fumes). That's just me.... So hence, I stick with PLA for now, even though I can up to ABS.

Later, I'll print some pics of my tractor, which was my first 3D printed RC vehicle. My granddaughters love it... :)

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Depends on the material used. There is way too many options to list. Also depends on what the part is for. ABS,Pet-G pla are just a few I have used. ABS and Pet-G are very durable.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hola group,

Just wanted to share a new edition to our growing Jeep family. It's been taking me a bit to create and "mod" her. A nice 1/10 Willy's, via my 3D printer. Hoping to have her ready for the trails in the next couple of months. I'll be adding the R/C components soon. For grins, I also printed out a 5 gallon Jerry can.

Everything is printed via my 3D printer, less the electronic components and the tires. (All courtesy of the Ossum Willy's Jeep, via the Thingeverse website). :)

If folks are interested, I'll post updates.

IMG_5906.JPG

IMG_5907.JPG

IMG_5910.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG
Electric motor probably won't go over too well with many of the forum members. :giggle:

But, it looks like a great RC! and actual 4 wheel drive too!

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Not to hijack your thread, but Willys doesn't have an apostrophe and the family pronounced it "WILL-iss" (similar to Gladys). From what I've read, they were ok with people pronouncing "willy's" as long as they bought one.
Sponsored