Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
There have been some comments on traction control use on the beach. On our last trip about a month ago, I went back and forth turning traction control off and on. I could not tell the difference. Now we were just slow and steady and never had any situations where we were bogging down. The JL just seems to really go in the sand.
Sponsored

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I live by a beach in Australia plus have the largest Sand Island in the world ( Fraser Island ) nearby . We are on the beach when the sun shines , which is 9 months of the year here in Queensland probably Twice a week . We air down to 20 psi which works well . I’d only go lower if it as super super deep and I was bogged , but so far in 3 yrs of being here I have not had the problem . Towed out a lot other brands that have been stuck . Oh and we use 4H and most of the time leave it in D as we have an auto Sahara . In soft sand I use the manual shift so can hold in a lower gear . Sand driving is fun but don’t do sudden direction changes because with tires aired down you can peel the tires off the rims or worse roll your Jeep. Have fun !!!!

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, after experimenting some and not noticing any difference in traction, I just turned it off.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
If you put it in 4-low, traction control is turned off by the computer.

Sponsored

EVMIII

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Remember that momentum is your friend. The fewer times you stop/start the fewer opportunities to get stuck. Air down in 4h or 4l (depending on speed and conditions) and have fun.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I went on the beach this past week 3 times. First time on I aired down to 18 psi, got out onto the same and almost got stuck, but spinning my wheels quite a bit in 4 hi. Then I remembered the traction control. Turned it off and the rest was a piece of cake.

Another time I parked and decided to move. Thought I was stuck. Then realized I had to turn off traction control. After the got right out. Mind you this sand was super soft with really deep ruts. Saw a few others get stuck and need help getting out.

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just got back from a week on the sand in the 4x4 section of Corolla, NC. Never even thought about the traction control button!
I had to turn it off in my '07 and my '10 but my '15 I leave it on, it drives better with it on.

Yay delaware driver! :)

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I just got back from kitty hawk. Bodie island was closer to me so just bought a permit and was about to drive out and set up with the family. I really wonder how different the sand is between the two areas. In Bodie it was really really soft and less capable vehicles were getting stuck. Traction control definitely made a difference. Next time I'll have to do both places in the same trip.

Sponsored

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Heading to the beach this weekend for the first time hopefully (if my permit ever arrives). Plan on airing down to 15 and driving in 4lo.
answer on the air down question and why you do it:

Test: take two small sticks and shove them up tight against your fully inflated tires In the front and back of the same tire.

Now deflate your tire to say 20psi. Watch how the tire footprint expands and engulfs the sticks. Hence you now have a wider and longer footprint to “float” over the sand.

Cautions: once aired down always turn slower and less radical. Fast turns can pop a tire off the rim bead, tire may dig in more and flip you over into a rollover, etc.

Nice thing, once you air down, and get stuck in sand, you can still air down more to get you out of that sticky situation. Just have an inflator or worse case a bicycle pump and get your work out!

A/T and M/T tires sometimes “bite” too much and dig you. Stop as soon as you start digging in and change to a lower gear, back up on the sand youve just compacted and get another run at it.

Remember to keep speed and momentum on sand, so lower gear and higher revs to keep momentum up.

Lastly, don’t brake heavily when you want to stop on soft sand, this will just put small mountains of sand under each tire that you’ll have to climb over as you start. If this happens, back up and take a small run at it. Best practice is to pull your foot off the acceptor and coast to a stop. Also, if you park on a slope, back into where you are parking so you can always start down hill. And NEVER park below tide line!

Cheers,
CaptStarboard

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
This is my very first Wrangler so I dont have much experience. But I can say that all though I feel like I dont HAVE to air down, there is a huge difference from when I do to when I dont. I didnt air down once because I wanted to skip the air up line and didnt want to go through the trouble with my portable compressor. Basically being lazy. I didnt have an issue driving but you can tell "something" isnt the same as when you do air down.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired