Newbie with a beach driving question

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I have been trying to understand the best way to wash the jeep (no car wash option).
Somebody suggested a power washer attachment that rolls under and shoots up, but is there concern shooting water up into the engine bay?
Do you just rinse well with a hose everywhere or do you need to get inside the frame too? Garden hose work?
Want to have fun, but also keep the Jeep to do so for a long time
Thanks.
Oh you have found the most anal Jeep washer on the planet. Buy a power washer and don't get a piece of shit. Its an important tool. Don't get electric for obvious reasons and they make them but they are wimpy. Get a nice one from Home Depot or Lowes. Ensure to get all the different tips there are typically 4 (Soap, low pressure, Car washing pressure and rip your hand off pressure used to rip off paint-throw it away Ha Ha) I started with the lower pressure tip just to be sure that I didn't have too much, it works great for the "I have been quarantined but I need to wash my Jeep" mode for blowing off the dust. Then there is the the "white" tip for car washing. I will tell you it is great. Approach the vehicle from a distance til you are at a comfortable pressure on paint distance (sometimes I get carried away but never blew off any paint) But you dont want to hold it close to any rubber trim or it will cut it. I wash up under skid plates drive lines I have no issues blowing of under the front fenders (JL type) I do get water inside but thats half the fun is using the compressor and an air blowing tool at about 40 psi to Dry everything, I start at the top and work my way down and around all edges, inside engine compartment. My jeep looks like I just came from the dealer after being in such deep shit and one foot in hell. Trust me Brother....Gotta have a Pressure washer.....
Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Lawn sprinkler to wash the undercarriage.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Update,
Took my Jeep on the beach this past weekend for the very first time. Pressured down to 20 and put it into 4Hi no issues or problems. Sand wasn't as deep as I remembered , prob could have gotten away with not airing down but decided to go with the flow and do it anyways.
great time and thanks for all the advice and insight from everyone who responded here

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Update,
Took my Jeep on the beach this past weekend for the very first time. Pressured down to 20 and put it into 4Hi no issues or problems. Sand wasn't as deep as I remembered , prob could have gotten away with not airing down but decided to go with the flow and do it anyways.
great time and thanks for all the advice and insight from everyone who responded here
I was out yesterday.

Guy comes in next to me with a JK Rubi from out of state.
Fat tires, maybe 10.50's. Pretty typical.

Tide was down, but rising, so I dropped down the berm and set-up expecting I might have to relocate when the tide came high.

Guy in the Rubi backs down too, unloads, then goes to pull up and is spinning and throwing sand everywhere. It was obvious he had not aired down, and the berm wasn't that high.
He eventually got out and the day progresses.

As the tide came full, I started mine, dropped her into gear, and walked up the hill without turning a grain of sand. Thats the difference between airing down, and not.

Photo doesn't make the 'hill' look all that bad, because it wasn't.
I guess he just wanted to show off for his friends.

IMG_1143.jpeg

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
I was out yesterday.

Guy comes in next to me with a JK Rubi from out of state.
Fat tires, maybe 10.50's. Pretty typical.

Tide was down, but rising, so I dropped down the berm and set-up expecting I might have to relocate when the tide came high.

Guy in the Rubi backs down too, unloads, then goes to pull up and is spinning and throwing sand everywhere. It was obvious he had not aired down, and the berm wasn't that high.
He eventually got out and the day progresses.

As the tide came full, I started mine, dropped her into gear, and walked up the hill without turning a grain of sand. Thats the difference between airing down, and not.

Photo doesn't make the 'hill' look all that bad, because it wasn't.
I guess he just wanted to show off for his friends.

Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question IMG_1143
yeah I'm going to always air down, takes only a few mins with an ARB rapid delflator. Thank god I splurged for an aircompressor because the line for air was long.

Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
These are the deflators that I use.
Have them set to air me down from 36 to 19.

IMG_0999.jpeg

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I thought about using those kind but I know I would screw up setting them up so I opted for the RAD.
It was easier than you might think.
I put them on my spare one at a time and adjusted them.
No bending over using the spare as my source.
Low pressure tire gage and air compressor made quick work of it.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Took a short video on the beach yesterday but the file is greyed out when I try to attach it.
Are videos not allowed here?

JJT-NC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Oil Burner
Excellent thread! I'm back at it, after (ahem) decades out of the game.

Wondering how much road driving folks here will do before airing back up? I'll be beach driving for 3 days while on vacation.

Thanks

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Wondering how much road driving folks here will do before airing back up? I'll be beach driving for 3 days while on vacation.
Honestly almost zero, especially at 15psi. The beaches I go to provide air (which is SUPER nice) stations that are no more than 50 yards from the entrance/exits. If I go somewhere without a station, I have my own compressor and will air up immediately. If I was in the 20s on psi I would probably be more ok with driving a few miles back to town or whatever, but at 15 I just don't wanna risk it.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excellent thread! I'm back at it, after (ahem) decades out of the game.

Thanks
Our beaches here are a state park and every entrance/exit from the beach has park air stations.
I only live 2 miles from the park entrance, and have bypassed the air stations when the lines were long, but I don't like to do it.

I use auto-deflators that I've set to 19 pounds. At that pressure, the Jeep feels like it is rolling on marshmallows. Great for the sand, not so good on the road, so I'm cautious about damaging the tires.

Our air stations output 150#'s of pressure, so I can generally get back to my factory 36#'s in a slow 15 count. Way quicker than going home and using my pancake compressor.

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Took mine out to Corolla Beach in the outer banks of NC to see the wild horses with the family. I read some tips here before going, so thanks! Everyone had a blast. I was good with 4H and 20psi. Only annoying thing was the traction control pulling throttle out when it got a bit deep. I should have kicked it down to the intermediate setting.
Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question IMG_1238

Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question IMG_1238
was just there as well, turn your T/C off next time, makes things a lot easier doesnt bog the engine and allows the tires to slip a little.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
We have 285/70/17 tires and don't air down. My thoughts are the wider tires are at least as wide as a deflated factory tire. If you plan on doing some beach driving maybe look into a wider tire with a little more of an aggressive tread. Never had any issues. hopefully I just did not jinx myself. We are actually taking the ferry over to Cape Look Out in the morning.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We have 285/70/17 tires and don't air down. My thoughts are the wider tires are at least as wide as a deflated factory tire. If you plan on doing some beach driving maybe look into a wider tire with a little more of an aggressive tread. Never had any issues. hopefully I just did not jinx myself. We are actually taking the ferry over to Cape Look Out in the morning.
You were doing OK until you got to the "aggressive tread" part.

"Agressive tread" is fine in mud because it gets you down to a solid footing.
In sand, aggressive tread just gets you stuck, as there is nothing solid underneath the sand.
There is just more sand.

A 'street tread' road tire is what you want.
A non aggressive tread is the best tire for sand.
Sponsored