First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Sheer curiosity begs me to ask ... what if you are by yourself and you get stuck in the sand, how do you get out?
Sponsored

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Sheer curiosity begs me to ask ... what if you are by yourself and you get stuck in the sand, how do you get out?
Look up the Deadman.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I have been trying to understand the best way to wash the jeep (no car wash option).
Somebody suggested a power washer attachment that rolls under and shoots up, but is there concern shooting water up into the engine bay?
Do you just rinse well with a hose everywhere or do you need to get inside the frame too? Garden hose work?
Want to have fun, but also keep the Jeep to do so for a long time
Thanks.
That attachment that attaches to a power washer is pretty nice, but if you are a bit shy of the pressure, use a lawn sprinkler.
Position the sprinkler up front with the hose running underneath and let it do its thing. Pull the hose back occasionally until the whole undercarriage gets rinsed.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Want to have fun, but also keep the Jeep to do so for a long time
Thanks.
Then there is no upside in exposing your Jeep to saltwater.

Sponsored

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Then there is no upside in exposing your Jeep to saltwater.
Fun family day at the beach. Could leave it in the garage in a bubble all the time. Taking it our on trails and rock climbing has risks of it's own too

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
We have done a good bit of beach driving since we bought our jeep. The southern outer banks is typically soft sand. We have an auto trans and run in 4HI. 4Lo just seems to be too low and slow. We never aired down the factory tires (245's) and on occasion had to give it some gas to get through the really soft stuff. Would also make sure I kept up the momentum and looked a head for tire ruts to run in. The new 33" (285) tires have really made a huge difference. Still do not air down and have not even come close to feeling like we were losing traction. Well, there was the time I tried to go up a big sand dune and spun the tires. I decided to back out. On a recent trip to South Core Banks, there were several 4wd vehicles having a tough time in the soft stuff. The jeep just plowed right on through. I did use 4Lo to pull out a suburban towing a camper.

I feel the wider tires are the key to relaxing beach trips!
Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question New Tire front 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question jeep sign lighthouse

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Very interesting thread. I had no clue about the tire pressure but it makes perfect sense. I read through 5 pages of this "driving on a beach" thread hoping for pics with jeeps on a beach surrounded by bikini ladies but nope....so disappointed ;)

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Very interesting thread. I had no clue about the tire pressure but it makes perfect sense. I read through 5 pages of this "driving on a beach" thread hoping for pics with jeeps on a beach surrounded by bikini ladies but nope....so disappointed ;)

She is behind the Jeep.

IMG_0990.jpeg

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Always always always bring a plank of wood with you when you're gonna be driving on sand.

People freaking out about rust are being crazy. I grew up around New England shorelines and have known fishermen who took their SUVs out onto the beaches to go surf fishing almost every morning of their lives, and their cars were old as sin. People acting like your jeep is gonna rust out within a few months or something from just driving through sand dunes lol That's just not true unless you're regularly wading the thing through saltwater and not cleaning it at all.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Always always always bring a plank of wood with you when you're gonna be driving on sand.

People freaking out about rust are being crazy. I grew up around New England shorelines and have known fishermen who took their SUVs out onto the beaches to go surf fishing almost every morning of their lives, and their cars were old as sin. People acting like your jeep is gonna rust out within a few months or something from just driving through sand dunes lol That's just not true unless you're regularly wading the thing through saltwater and not cleaning it at all.
I was one cautioning about sale, but I'm not sure I was freaking out; just giving calm advice. I grew up in New England also, and remember the "body cancer" from the roads. Road salt, sea salt - both bad.

That said, I took beach driving as being near salt water, and probably running through wet sand at least once. Maybe the word "beach" misled me, and, if so, sand dunes are a whole different thing. Did I get it wrong and the OP was talking about completely dry sand?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I am interested in the feedback those on the forum who have experience provide as well.
We have the Ryobi undercarriage washer and it works quite well. For the couple of times. year we get enough snow that they salt we use that to wash the underside of the vehicle. It also filps over for sidewalks/driveways/etc.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This may be sacrilege, but I've been power washing engines for the last 20 years - no problems ever. Just stay away from the air intake and you'll be fine. If you've been doing it from new, you'll only need a light touch on the spray. If you've allowed it to get really grungy, I suspect that you'd run a bigger risk since you are making the power washer get too close to the surfaces to remove the stubborn stuff. I'd avoid it in that case.

Not too different than power washing a motorcycle (guilty of sacrilege there too).

Hell, people run their Jeeps under water while breathing through a snorkel.

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I'd much rather drive beach than a Buffalo winter's street. Nah...your Atlantic Vacation wont eat away your jeep. Salt is basically an acid which can be neutralized with clear water. Just saying, after your beach trip, give her a good undercarriage spraying.
Sponsored

Last edited: