First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Only problem airing down your tires is how far do you need to go to air them back up. It would probably destroy my tires to run them on blacktop at 12 psi for any length of time.. Just a thought....
That could be a concern if you don't have a compressor handy.

In my case, the state park beaches have high pressure air stations just off the beach access ramps so airing up is not an issue.
However, the biting flies can be an issue. :(
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I have plenty of experience driving on beaches and sand. For both, street tires and 12psi work very well. Mud terrains will dig into the sand and strand you if you aren't careful. Driving on the actual beach, you need to go to a car wash after and pressure wash the undercarriage very well to get rid of any salt to avoid potential corrosion issues. Washing off sand is also a good idea after being in dunes. Spent many summers on Asseteague Island when you could drive the entire length to the VA border both on the beach and on the inland road. Now they have just about 4 miles of beach open and none of the inland road. Really sucks how they have limited access. I've also traversed the Great Altar Dunes in Mexico, these dunes are the largest dunes in North America with heights exceeding 650 feet. It is quite a magnificent drive if you have the right permits, the right guides and the right equipment.

Here is my Jeep club with our guides in the Great Altar Dunes. You can see more pictures of our Sea of Cortez trip in the photo gallery of our website: www.jeepexpeditions.org

Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question lr_Dunes 37.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question lr_Dunes 9.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie with a beach driving question lr_Dunes 23.JPG

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You and I drive on the same type of sand and have similar experiences. If more people monitored their transmission temperature while driving in soft sand at low speeds in 4Hi they would start using 4Low. The OP is going to be on a beach with a speed limit of 10mph and many of the replies saying to use 4Hi at that low of a speed is going to result in a transmission temperature in the 220+ degree range in soft sand.

When you can carry more speed such as the 35mph speed limit in Corolla Beach, NC then 4Hi works better but you are also moving more air across the radiator and transmission cooler at that speed.
Does Selec-Trac change your thoughts on this?

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have plenty of experience driving on beaches and sand. For both, street tires and 12psi work very well. Mud terrains will dig into the sand and strand you if you aren't careful. Driving on the actual beach, you need to go to a car wash after and pressure wash the undercarriage very well to get rid of any salt to avoid potential corrosion issues. Washing off sand is also a good idea after being in dunes. Spent many summers on Asseteague Island when you could drive the entire length to the VA border both on the beach and on the inland road. Now they have just about 4 miles of beach open and none of the inland road. Really sucks how they have limited access. I've also traversed the Great Altar Dunes in Mexico, these dunes are the largest dunes in North America with heights exceeding 650 feet. It is quite a magnificent drive if you have the right permits, the right guides and the right equipment.

Here is my Jeep club with our guides in the Great Altar Dunes. You can see more pictures of our Sea of Cortez trip in the photo gallery of our website: www.jeepexpeditions.org

Anything needed other than a good wash for the undercarriage to prevent rust? Anything to be careful of? Is it bad to shoot water up into the engine bay? Do you need to get inside the frame?

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
The places I go recommend for you to stay in 4H instead of 4L, and that's across deep dunes and near the shore line. To their credit, I hardly see anyone stuck or stranded in these places (all places are run by a nature preservation organization; they have rangers and such that patrol the grounds). Haven't had a problem 4H at 15psi, and I've never had to mess with my traction control either. Speed is always slow, of course. Probably over 10mph but nowhere near 35 mph.
where in Pa are you wheeling ?

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
If you like rust have fun in the sand cause youre gonna end up with a rusty mess not long after IMNSHO!

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
If you like rust have fun in the sand cause youre gonna end up with a rusty mess not long after IMNSHO!
1.) Stay out of the wet sand.
2.) Never run thru the water like they do in commercials. Dumb.
3.) I use a local car wash the next day that has an undercarriage wash specifically for beach buggies.
Never an issue with rust.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, don't go splashing through the salt water all the time, but also... wash the jeep afterwards? lol

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, don't go splashing through the salt water all the time, but also... wash the jeep afterwards? lol
I have been trying to understand the best way to wash the jeep (no car wash option).
Somebody suggested a power washer attachment that rolls under and shoots up, but is there concern shooting water up into the engine bay?
Do you just rinse well with a hose everywhere or do you need to get inside the frame too? Garden hose work?
Want to have fun, but also keep the Jeep to do so for a long time
Thanks.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I spend a day driving around sand dunes at Pismo Beach in CA and it was all in 4hi with the tires aired down to 20 psi. I never had any problems. This was in a rubicon with stock all terrains.
We did the same thing right before California locked itself down. Luckily we were able to escape back to the safety of Arizona. I aired down to 15 psi and ran in 4-Hi and experienced no issues. I drove in the loose stuff to see what it was like and just made sure I kept some momentum as I didn't want to get stuck. Had a great time and got some great pictures.

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove through a fresh water stream leading into the ocean, but avoided the salt water. The next day I drove through five straight hours of Mother Nature attempting to wash California clean so I wasn't worried about anything after that related to salt water.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been trying to understand the best way to wash the jeep (no car wash option).
Somebody suggested a power washer attachment that rolls under and shoots up, but is there concern shooting water up into the engine bay?
Do you just rinse well with a hose everywhere or do you need to get inside the frame too? Garden hose work?
Want to have fun, but also keep the Jeep to do so for a long time
Thanks.
I am interested in the feedback those on the forum who have experience provide as well.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Also, as a side note, you might want to consider rinsing off any salt that you may encounter during your days on the beach.
Couldn't agree more.

I also follow a few Porsche forums. There were members forming a group to rent the Bonneville Salt Flats (who knew you could?) for the day until someone pointed out that it's virtually impossible to get rid of all of the salt.

Cancelled. They moved on to one of those standing start mile events.
Sponsored

Last edited: