Newbie tire question

Smartin

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I have a stock 2018 JL sport S and I’m thinking I want to upgrade my tires but I don’t want to make my gas mileage worse and change the comfort of my ride.

Does anyone have tires they recommend with my concerns or do I just need to suck it up? Lol
Sponsored

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
I have a stock 2018 JL sport S and I’m thinking I want to upgrade my tires but I don’t want to make my gas mileage worse and change the comfort of my ride.

Does anyone have tires they recommend with my concerns or do I just need to suck it up? Lol
Consider some Sahara take offs. They have an AT tire that is pretty mild.

The 33” Rubicon tire KO2 would also be a nice upgrade and would fit your rim or just take both rim and tire and swap out.

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

KO2

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

What do you mean by upgrade? Larger wheels and tires or just different wheel style? Or more aggressive treads on tires? You will probably loose a little gas milage if you go with a more aggressive tread pattern. You might also notice a little more road noise. Comfort might change also. That's the reality. The BFG K02 that are on the Rubicon are quiet and you can find a lot of people selling them.

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
yes the BFG KO2s are wonderful I had them on a 4Runner and now have them on my new Moab. Lots available as Rubicon takeoffs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Smartin

Smartin

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
What do you mean by upgrade? Larger wheels and tires or just different wheel style? Or more aggressive treads on tires? You will probably loose a little gas milage if you go with a more aggressive tread pattern. You might also notice a little more road noise. Comfort might change also. That's the reality. The BFG K02 that are on the Rubicon are quiet and you can find a lot of people selling them.

Yes, I mean slightly bigger and more aggressive looking treads. I went to American tire co and they quoted me 1180 with trade in of my current tires. I already bought the rubicon wheels from someone and put them on my existing tires, because at the time I didn’t want to change my tires. Now I want too haha.

I had them quote out the K02s

OP
OP
Smartin

Smartin

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
yes the BFG KO2s are wonderful I had them on a 4Runner and now have them on my new Moab. Lots available as Rubicon takeoffs.

Ok, ya I had American tire co quote me because I don’t need the rims I already bought the rubicon rims from someone else months ago. Maybe I’ll look for just the tires in the market place. American tire quoted me 1180 with trade in for my current tires.

OP
OP
Smartin

Smartin

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Consider some Sahara take offs. They have an AT tire that is pretty mild.

The 33” Rubicon tire KO2 would also be a nice upgrade and would fit your rim or just take both rim and tire and swap out.
Ya the K02s I am looking at right now I was just not sure about the ride I was thinking of going and test driving a rubicon that already has them on before I bought them haha

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
If you have stock highway H/T's and change to Rubicon KO2's you will see a change in MPG, a mile or two to a gallon maybe, a ride change and some noise. It is with all the Rubi take off's probably the best deal though. Don't let everyone fool you there will be a difference! the biggest difference will be of road, you'll be happy!!

Whatever you do, have fun!

Go jeep!!!

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
If you already have the rims, just pick up 5x KO2 takeoff and call it done. Should be ~$500-$600 for the set and either keep or sell your current set of tires.

Sponsored

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I’d get a Prius. It’ll come with very fuel efficient tires.

Or, you could get a Corvette. Also, comes with tires that’ll give you good MPGs... assuming you can keep your foot out of it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I mean slightly bigger and more aggressive looking treads. I went to American tire co and they quoted me 1180 with trade in of my current tires. I already bought the rubicon wheels from someone and put them on my existing tires, because at the time I didn’t want to change my tires. Now I want too haha.

I had them quote out the K02s
You can easily buy a like new set of 5 take-off Rubicon wheels, K02's and TPS, all ready to bolt on for $1200. Buy a complete set and sell your first set of Rubicon wheels and your original Sport S wheels and tires.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya the K02s I am looking at right now I was just not sure about the ride I was thinking of going and test driving a rubicon that already has them on before I bought them haha
Not a bad idea. You will get a feel for how much noisier they are, if any. Personally I the think the K02 are a very quiet tire for what they are. Careful comparing the ride quality with your Sport S suspension and tires though. The Rubicon has stiffer shocks and I believe springs. Overall I think you will not mind the K02s. I think they are excellent all around. They do throw gravel and small rocks though.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I’d get a Prius. It’ll come with very fuel efficient tires.

Or, you could get a Corvette. Also, comes with tires that’ll give you good MPGs... assuming you can keep your foot out of it.
Don't forget, regardless of which tires you have.....

52F2BD80-089F-441C-8AB4-7332592862E2.jpeg