Sponsored

Newbie questions (Softtop, noise, rain etc)

OP
OP

HellaYellaSoFl

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Ultimate Sport S
>>
1. Remember a Jeep is a truck with solid axles and does not drive like anything you have ever had. You are turning the hands of time back technology wise in the suspension workings. It will drift based on the “crown of the road” just a fact with solid axles. It will have more body roll then you are use to so take it easy until you get the feel for it. Oh and it stops like a heavy truck.
>>

My other vehicle is a 1950 Chevy truck, my favorite 4x4 ever driven was a late 70s Lada, I grew up driving actual tractors.

Funny enough I got into BMWs by trading a lifted bright yellow Sonoma 4x4 15 years ago for a 3-series, now I'm swapping a 4-Series for a bright yellow Jeep. Good times.

>>
2. Its a soft top...it will leak at some point in its life, usually the second year of ownership....LOL.
>>

My 95 T-Top Pontiac used to leak when it rained or got washed, hopefully if the Jeep leaks its to the side and not on my lap.

>>
7. Even with all its little nuances not found in other vehicles in its price range or at lower, cost you will soon come to love it and wonder why it took you so long to buy one.
>>

Thanks!
Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
If you've driven old solid axle vehicles, it sounds like you know what you're in for, but I'll take a stab at answering at least some of your questions.

I see comments about rain leaking into the cabin. Is that really a thing?
As someone else mentioned, it's the rain gutters. You'll have a wet spot on your knee whenever getting in/out in the rain, and you'll develop a small pond on the floor mat if you're slow. It's a Jeep Thing. :)

I also see the carpets are water resistant and the Jeep site shows a hose washing the car out, so it doesn't matter if it leaks anyway?
The carpet is fine to get wet, but it will mold if you don't get it dry. I'd probably recommend removing the carpet entirely if you anticipate getting rained on a lot. The floors have drain holes you can open to get rid of any standing water.

How wet is the back going to get if the back windows are out and it rains? Does it matter? (damage car/electrics if it gets soaked)
Depends on the wind. If the rain is coming straight down, you won't get much if any water back there. There's a drain hole in the storage compartment, just in case. You won't hurt the jeep by getting it wet.

Do the back windows roll up? How hard to store in the car? Does it come with a storage bag? How hard is it to open the back "window" if the top is up to get luggage/groceries into the back?
The storage bag is a factory option or you can buy one later on. It's pretty big, but it fits in the back and still leaves enough room for groceries in the 4-door. You can temporarily flip open the back window and throw it on top of the jeep for loading/unloading stuff.

What is displayed in the dash console (between the tach and speedo) if you have the 7" display instead of the 8? (the 8" descriptions show the nav system info between the speedo/tach)
The instrument cluster is the same, only the infotainment screen changes. I definitely prefer the bigger display, but the 7" screen displays the same stuff, only smaller.

This has 1-touch power front windows and speed-sensitive power locks. Is that on all doors or just the front?
Locks are on all four doors, one-touch is down only and only on the front doors.

How large is the storage area under the back area?
Big enough to store a small to average-size backpack or things like tow straps and other recovery gear. It's not huge, but it's usually enough room to stick stuff I don't want to have stolen when I'm doorless and/or topless.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Still hoping to hear about cabin leaks with the premium soft top, any cabin concern if it gets wet and if the Alpine system (with the 7" screen) has "Active Noise Canceling"

I did find good interior pics of a similar one and see it does have power windows in the back. I think the kids will be disappointed.

Insurance will be $10/mo cheaper, gas mileage will be 13% less but the price per gallon will be ~13% less.
My soft top version is 16 months old and no leaks. Rain might be slightly louder than a metal roof vehicle but much better than my old Miata. Hail is actually less noisy. The spouse doesn't complain about the rain noise so it can't be bad.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
6. The factory alarm system is about as good as any other in a FCA product. Being a soft top it is easier to get inside without it being activated so keep to the “out of sight out of mind” rule and you should be fine. Oh and the alarm does not cover the engine bay nor does the stock hood lock, so don’t be surprised one morning to find you battery missing....LoL
FYI, a Tazer JL programmer will allow you to activate the existing hood switch and use it for the alarm. I figured this out when I opened my hood one day and it scared the living crap out of me.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I had an E46 330i that I do really miss but I love driving my Jeep. My steering seems to be fine and my soft top doesn't leak. Just don't hold the doors open when its raining and you will be fine.

Wish I would have kept my BMW as a toy, it had about 40k miles when I sold it

Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie questions (Softtop, noise, rain etc) {filename}

Sponsored

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Yes, my left thigh gets a steady stream of water pouring onto it every time I enter or exit the Jeep during a downpour. Worse than my JKs which did it to a much lesser extent. I bought the Truck Masters rain gutter extenders for my JLUR and while I haven’t had a terrible downpour to test it out yet. But the JK reviews were very favorable so I’m hoping this solves it. See my build thread for the pics of the Truck Masters gutter extenders.

As for the windows, I can’t speak to the JL zipperless ones, but with my JK windows, I would place a bath towel between them and roll them up around a pool noodle and then stuff into a foldable camping chair bag. It was a small footprint In the back of the Jeep and kept them from getting wrecked.

I hope you have a good experience. This is my sixth Jeep (5 Wranglers and 1 CJ7) and it’s a lifestyle and a fresh air outdoor spirit more than a daily driver. If that seems to fit your personality, then I’m sure you’ll be thrilled.

PS - I live in South FL where it pours every afternoon in the summer months. I just don’t take my windows out in the summer or carry them with me. I bought BedRug for my YJ and it was awesome (I didn’t have a top for my YJ). It pulls out easier, dries faster, and it’s mold and smell resistant. I don’t know if BedRug or BedTred are available for the JLs yet???

Welcome to the family -O|||||||O-

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Still hoping to hear about cabin leaks with the premium soft top, any cabin concern if it gets wet and if the Alpine system (with the 7" screen) has "Active Noise Canceling"

I did find good interior pics of a similar one and see it does have power windows in the back. I think the kids will be disappointed.

Insurance will be $10/mo cheaper, gas mileage will be 13% less but the price per gallon will be ~13% less.
ANC was only available on a Sahara or Rubicon because the 8.4" w/ Alpine was only available for those 2 models. Not sure about now? Only 8.4" screen with Alpine AND 2.0T engines get Active Noise Canceling. The 3.6 engine does not get ANC. I have a '19 JLR 2.0T and ANC. It works. The premium soft top seems as quiet as the hard top. The JL-series Wrangler is BY FAR the most refined and quite Wrangler by a long shot. Saying that, brick shaped Wrangler will never be as quiet as a traditional SUV or car. Just don't expect BMW quiet and handling.

You might get a VERY small amount of water during a massive down pour or in a car wash but it's not going to be a lot.

The Wrangler will drive and steer nothing like your BMW. As a matter of fact it is at the total opposite end of the spectrum. You BMW has a quick ratio rack-in-pinon steering rack, independent suspension, and low profile tires that promote quick steering response. The BMW is designed to feel quick and nimble. The Wrangler has a slow steering box, solid axles, and much higher sidewalls on the tires. Steering response will seem very slow and vague compared to a BMW. The Wrangler is purposely designed that way to perform off-road.

Definitely drive it to see if it's something you like. See if you think you can adapt to a Wrangler's steering and numb driving feel. Definitely drive it 70-80mph to see what it feels like and to hear the wind noise.

I wouldn't over think the cost or money for gas and insurance. Your not talking Prius or Buicks. BMWs, sports cars/sedans and Wranglers are enthusiast cars. People buy them to enjoy the driving experience. They are not basic transportation to get from point A to point B. Life is short. You will find a way to burn some extra cash with any enthusiast cars or truck. Lol!

I own a few dedicated sport cars and I LOVE my JLR. I usually grab the keys to my JL before any of the sport cars.

Last edited:

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I didn't drive mine or any Jeep before I signed the papers... I kicked the tires on one in the showroom a few months prior. What's the worst that could happen?

Try to park with your nose uphill..maybe up on a curb if the drizzle from the door gutters really bug you.. they won't drain into your lap. My wife is put off by it... I barely notice it.

I don't get much wind+rain around here, but I've been parked, city & highway driving without the windows in while raining. It gets a little damp around the tub where the windows go, but I wouldn't call any part of it soaked.

Have fun!

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Please do not take this the wrong way. But with so many dealers..... why would you not test drive a new wrangler before you pull the trigger and buy one. You have NEVER driven a Jeep and you are trading in a BMW. A test drive is easy. I don’t know why anyone would be willing to drop that kind of coin without driving several first. If you have never driven one, what will you do if you buy it don’t like it? Personally, my Jeep is the most fun and enjoyable vehicle I have ever driven. But, I probably drove nearly 20 before I placed the order with my local dealer. I knew exactly what I wanted and why. I could not be happier.

I hope that everything turns out great for you as well. Best of luck.

Many of the questions you have asked would very easily be grasped if you would take a Wrangler out for a test drive.
So some may think my previous post was a tad harsh. Let me explain a bit more my thinking.

First it is important to note my occupation. I am a Program Manager. For anyone that does not know what this means.... you are basically responsible to multi million $ projects and your task is to get countless other people that do not report to you to focus on tasks and responsibilities that you say are necessary. Add to that the fact that you are to control the schedule of the project, you can never let the schedule control you. So this includes persuading those countless other people to buy into the timing that you express as necessary. This typically includes even Execs of your organization. Kind of like walking in egg shells all the time. Not everyone enjoys it. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

So back to the Jeep. For me, I had been planning to purchase for probably close to 3 years. I had, probably hundreds of pics, on my phone of jeeps that I had seen while out on my travels for work noting the things that I liked about them. I knew the exact day / time that 2020’s started production. I knew exactly what my plans were for my soon to be Jeep. So you bet your tail that I had test driven numerous. (Drove my wife and daughter CRAZY!!!!!). I knew the cab and features in and out as well as the options. Because, hey, that is me. It brought me a huge amount of satisfaction knowing that I was planning my ride which is my DD.

Does everyone do this. NO.

One thing I believe we nearly all do though and several have said it already and they have said it well. We love our rides!!! We enjoy the time spent in it. Wind blowing through the Jeep on a beautiful day the top off. It is like no other vehicle that I have ever owned. LOVE IT!!!!!! ZERO regrets!!!!!!!

Again good luck!!!!! And when you pull that trigger..... WELCOME aboard. Please share picks. We around here love our picks of our babies!!!!!!

OP
OP

HellaYellaSoFl

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Ultimate Sport S
Jeep showed up today!

I did end up with the Sport S Ultimate in HellaYella w/ TechGroup (7"), automatic, LSD, Alpine premium audio and premium soft top, granite crystal wheels and 245/75R17 ATs although I was looking hard for a Willys or a manual.

I did end up test driving one last weekend, which wasn't a great idea as that one had a huge dead spot and steering was a mess. It was also a dark color and didn't seem "fun"

This one drives great. I would post pics but I took my kids down the local dirt roads and had some fun with 6" deep 20' wide puddles and its more brown than yellow now.

Now I need to figure out how to work the top.

Running boards, trailer hitch, window storage and more coming next week.

I will say the $1295 Alpine doesn't hold a candle to the $895 Harmon Kardon that is in my 2018 BMW 440i (returning off lease tomorrow) but the infotainment system is far better in the Jeep.
Sponsored