Sponsored

Newbie Question on 4WD hi vs 4 auto......

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
www.yahoo.com/amphtml/tech/heres-best-1-000-spend-201000089.html

You might find this article interesting. Writer is a selec-trac fan.
That article does point out one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread (unless I missed it) - the binding that occurs when turning in 4H. I work with a guy that drives an F250 and drives in 4H if there is any amount of snow on the ground. I was in his truck once during this and he asked "what's causing this weird clunking when I turn?" I explained it to him - that driving like that will eventually break it - but he just shrugged it off and said it doesn't matter because it's under warranty :facepalm:

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So, you have both a Rubicon and a Sahara in the family? Given the mix of ON-ROAD driving you do in snowy conditions, which one do you prefer?
No, we have a JLUR and a Grand Cherokee with QT1–4 auto essentially. I don’t think I have a preference in snowy conditions, just length of drive as the GC is more planted and comfortable with long distance. That said, the GC was awesome on our trip, and even though we saw wreck after wreck, I never felt insecure with the GC. If you’re not going to be doing any significant off-roading, I’d go Moab with 4 auto. Looks great and has the system you’ll get the most use out of.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
If you drive in similar conditions quite often, the most important thing you need is good winter tires. I usually don't drive my Jeep in winter but have Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 on my other SUVs and they are great dedicated winter tires. Although you can usually get where you need on BFG KO2, it's a big difference.

Sponsored

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
JL snow tires.JPG
Here in New England, we have everything from snow, ice, slush, frozen snow/slush/ice-layers, and "black ice". It get's pretty messy and cold - the nor'easters bring us any combination of precipitation during the winter.
With that said, I am a firm believer in dedicated winter tires. Several years ago, we were traveling home from a x-country ski weekend - I was driving our trusty old toyota highlander AWDi. While we were on the highway (in Vermont, I think), there was a "perfect storm" of misty-like precipitation for about 30-50 minutes followed by a "flash freeze". This created a long section of highway with about 2-mm of ice on top -- taking EVERYONE by surprise. Believe it or not, when we entered the beginning of this highway section, we suddenly saw literally cars, trucks, semi's all on the side of the road in ditches, over curbs and in accidents. Vehicles could not stay on the road, whether they had awd, 4wd, fwd -- nor could they travel up the slightest incline on the road. There were just a few lucky/brave souls driving in the middle lane at a slow speed. Why were they able to do this? I noticed because as we crept along, I saw that we all had winter tires. It just so happened that several weeks earlier, I had put on a fresh set of Blizzak DM-V's on our suv. For the next couple of hours, we safely crept along the highway until the highway suddenly became "dry" - at which point traffic picked up as if nothing had happened.
Flash forward to my JLUR -- One of the first aftermarket items that I bought as soon as I ordered it was a set of dedicated winter tires. Even though I have the 4-Hi option (not AWD as on the Sahara), I trust that the dedicated winter tires help in the worst of New England winters. So far they've performed great, and rarely have I had to switch in to 4-Hi, even during icy conditions. I was even wishing for more adverse conditions this winter to put them through more testing. That's what makes the Jeep all that more fun, eh? :)

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Why does the 4 auto even have a 2wd position? I thought the whole point was a set it and forget it system, and let sensors and computers handle all the choices.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I went through this exact same thought process, ended up forgoing the auto 4WD option because i wanted everything else the Rubicon had, including a bulletproof transfer case with a lower ratio 4LO and no clutches to worry about. But after having several pickups with Auto4WD I think we're going to miss it.....so maybe the Moab would've been a better choice for us...LOL.

My wife might complain about the lack of Auto4, she's had it on her rigs for a long time.

Our new JLUR hasn't arrive yet. So I'm curious how fast it fully engages in to 4WD when you pull the lever? I've heard it's quick, hope that's true.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Why does the 4 auto even have a 2wd position? I thought the whole point was a set it and forget it system, and let sensors and computers handle all the choices.
In 2HI the front end mechanically disconnects for less drag, better mileage. In auto4WD the front end stays coupled because that process is slow, and when the system detects a need for 4WD it locks the clutch in the xfer case because that's a quick process.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
folks, I have a basic question. I am looking at a Sahara or a Moab because I really “think” that I like the 4Auto transmission option. Set it and forget it as you go about your day. The Rubicon or Sport don’t have this. I DO NOT want to start a discussion around whether this or that is “better” on a rubicon vs a Sahara. PLEASE just leave that alone. PLEASE.

What I really want to know from all the Rubicon or Sport owners here is how they drive on the street in snowy or very wet conditions? When the roads look like the images here, do you shift into 4hi and keep your speed below 50? What if there are intermittent patches where the roads look like these images for a couple of miles and traffic moves along below 50 and then a snow plow has cleared sections for 3-4 miles ahead to bare road and the speed of the traffic picks up above 50? What about the last image with just rain soaked streets?

Basically, I am trying to understand how/when you Rubicon or Sport owners deploy 4hi when on-road and faced with weather. My ultimate
Goal is to learn from your experiences and see if 4Auto is still something that I want......

28251D49-EC53-4B5B-8350-1F5B68C88E90.jpeg

90B907A2-9D62-4167-BAE3-2E2E8D1E6AC4.jpeg

C307D034-24F9-4330-A2B9-9CBBEFA588E5.jpeg

2170676C-26F0-404C-9F55-C70CAE27F8AD.jpeg

2EBF22F7-F0C2-426A-B926-7323B8D32DA3.jpeg
I purchased the Moab as I knew I would not be rock climbing but will use it on moderate trails. In addition, I wanted the 3.6 and auto 4 wheel drive. I use auto during heavy rain and light snow and am more than happy with results. Rarely have to use 4high or low where I drive off road.

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
JL snow tires.JPG
Here in New England, we have everything from snow, ice, slush, frozen snow/slush/ice-layers, and "black ice". It get's pretty messy and cold - the nor'easters bring us any combination of precipitation during the winter.
With that said, I am a firm believer in dedicated winter tires. Several years ago, we were traveling home from a x-country ski weekend - I was driving our trusty old toyota highlander AWDi. While we were on the highway (in Vermont, I think), there was a "perfect storm" of misty-like precipitation for about 30-50 minutes followed by a "flash freeze". This created a long section of highway with about 2-mm of ice on top -- taking EVERYONE by surprise. Believe it or not, when we entered the beginning of this highway section, we suddenly saw literally cars, trucks, semi's all on the side of the road in ditches, over curbs and in accidents. Vehicles could not stay on the road, whether they had awd, 4wd, fwd -- nor could they travel up the slightest incline on the road. There were just a few lucky/brave souls driving in the middle lane at a slow speed. Why were they able to do this? I noticed because as we crept along, I saw that we all had winter tires. It just so happened that several weeks earlier, I had put on a fresh set of Blizzak DM-V's on our suv. For the next couple of hours, we safely crept along the highway until the highway suddenly became "dry" - at which point traffic picked up as if nothing had happened.
Flash forward to my JLUR -- One of the first aftermarket items that I bought as soon as I ordered it was a set of dedicated winter tires. Even though I have the 4-Hi option (not AWD as on the Sahara), I trust that the dedicated winter tires help in the worst of New England winters. So far they've performed great, and rarely have I had to switch in to 4-Hi, even during icy conditions. I was even wishing for more adverse conditions this winter to put them through more testing. That's what makes the Jeep all that more fun, eh? :)
That is pretty sound advice. But he's in Texas, so tires like that would likely be useless or severe overkill for him. Anyone in the northern parts of the US or in Canada might want to think about that, however.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
It's called 4 wheel DRIVE, not 4 wheel stop. :D I will echo what most people have said here. Once you are going, it's about how you drive and the tires you have. If you leave it in RWD and floor it and have racing slicks, you're gonna have a bad time. Slow down, don't give it gas and swerve quickly while changing lanes, relax while driving and you're good! If you want an awesome snow vehicle, go with a Subaru, it's the best snow vehicle I've ever driven. Just make sure you get rid of that garbage stock rubber first!
Sponsored