Sponsored

Newbie Question on 4WD hi vs 4 auto......

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
folks, I have a basic question. I am looking at a Sahara or a Moab because I really “think” that I like the 4Auto transmission option. Set it and forget it as you go about your day. The Rubicon or Sport don’t have this. I DO NOT want to start a discussion around whether this or that is “better” on a rubicon vs a Sahara. PLEASE just leave that alone. PLEASE.

What I really want to know from all the Rubicon or Sport owners here is how they drive on the street in snowy or very wet conditions? When the roads look like the images here, do you shift into 4hi and keep your speed below 50? What if there are intermittent patches where the roads look like these images for a couple of miles and traffic moves along below 50 and then a snow plow has cleared sections for 3-4 miles ahead to bare road and the speed of the traffic picks up above 50? What about the last image with just rain soaked streets?

Basically, I am trying to understand how/when you Rubicon or Sport owners deploy 4hi when on-road and faced with weather. My ultimate
Goal is to learn from your experiences and see if 4Auto is still something that I want......

28251D49-EC53-4B5B-8350-1F5B68C88E90.jpeg

90B907A2-9D62-4167-BAE3-2E2E8D1E6AC4.jpeg

C307D034-24F9-4330-A2B9-9CBBEFA588E5.jpeg

2170676C-26F0-404C-9F55-C70CAE27F8AD.jpeg

2EBF22F7-F0C2-426A-B926-7323B8D32DA3.jpeg
Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I shift into 4hi when I need it - accelerating from a stop. Once you have momentum, 4hi isn’t needed.

Edit to add: based on those pictures, I’d only use it in stop and go situations. Except for the last one. There’s absolutely no need to use 4wd in wet roads, IMO.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I would use it as a precaution in the first two. Not in the last few. Auto would be better for those situations, but IMO not a must at all. Being quick with the shifter when need be is a very good substitute.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Me personally, I would leave it in 2 in all of those pictures, the tires you have are going to make a huge difference also. I’d keep it in 2 and just maintain a steady speed, would I do 55-60 in that? No, but I’d probably have no issues going 40-45, it all depends how it feels also.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I shift into 4hi when I need it - accelerating from a stop. Once you have momentum, 4hi isn’t needed.

Edit to add: based on those pictures, I’d only use it in stop and go situations. Except for the last one. There’s absolutely no need to use 4wd in wet roads, IMO.
Thanks for the reply! But, now I am really confused! 4hi doesn’t help with traction after momentum has been obtained? That seems to be quite differs than what Jeep says about the 4 Auto. Very interesting!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I would use it as a precaution in the first two. Not in the last few. Auto would be better for those situations, but IMO not a must at all. Being quick with the shifter when need be is a very good substitute.
Thank you for helping me.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
You can tell who is from where based on their answers. OP is from Texas and probably rarely sees these situations. In that case, 4Auto is probably a waste. If you're uncomfortable, use 4high and call it a day for those rare situations. Most of the replies are from people in the north. As I'm also in the north, I would rarely use 4wd in any of those situations. If it started feeling a little sketchy, I'd switch it to 4. As another person said, if its stop and go in that weather, then you most likely want 4wd for the acceleration from a stop.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Thanks for the reply! But, now I am really confused! 4hi doesn’t help with traction after momentum has been obtained? That seems to be quite differs than what Jeep says about the 4 Auto. Very interesting!
4wd does help when you are moving, but in most cases, not nearly as much as people like to think. In my opinion, it gives most people a false sense of security.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Me personally, I would leave it in 2 in all of those pictures, the tires you have are going to make a huge difference also. I’d keep it in 2 and just maintain a steady speed, would I do 55-60 in that? No, but I’d probably have no issues going 40-45, it all depends how it feels also.
Thank you for your response. If you would just stay in 2WD for the images above, when do you go into 4WD on-road? Or, do you ever bother? Is it only when you are trying to get through an unplowed section?

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You can tell who is from where based on their answers. OP is from Texas and probably rarely sees these situations. In that case, 4Auto is probably a waste. If you're uncomfortable, use 4high and call it a day for those rare situations. Most of the replies are from people in the north. As I'm also in the north, I would rarely use 4wd in any of those situations. If it started feeling a little sketchy, I'd switch it to 4. As another person said, if its stop and go in that weather, then you most likely want 4wd for the acceleration from a stop.
LOL. I am a northeasterner! Grew up there and know how to drive in snow! Never had a selectable 4WD vehicle, so, I just don’t understand how/when to use one........Only been in Texas for a bit and likely moving back to the snow belt in a couple of years!

Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Thank you for your response. If you would just stay in 2WD for the images above, when do you go into 4WD on-road? Or, do you ever bother? Is it only when you are trying to get through an unplowed section?
When you are fighting for every bit of extra movement go forward. If you were in 8 inches of unplowed snow and trying to accelerate would be another example. Sometimes the rear wheels just won't get you going.

Jeep-Stuck.jpg

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Those pictures look pretty tame, nothing more than 2WD is needed for those conditions.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Those pictures look pretty tame, nothing more than 2WD is needed for those conditions.
Thank you.

If we are talking about on-road, snow, When would you put your Jeep into 4Hi? Is there an example image?

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
We just got back from a 700 mile round trip from Fairbanks to Alyeska in a GC with 4 auto. We saw around 10 wrecks, one was overturned and one shut down the highway after a fatality. I never once felt uncomfortable due to slipping. I agree that it’s useful from a stop, but if you’re on ice and even nudge the accelerator, you risk swinging the rear out in 2wd. 4 auto will greatly reduce that tendency. That said, I drive our JLUR daily on ice covered roads, and shift to 4 hi usually only at stops and when accelerating onto the highway. Once straight and mostly at speed, I’ll shift back. Do I have to? Maybe not, but I’d rather not try to correct a spinning Jeep either.

BL—if you’re concerned about traction on-road, get the auto (and good winter tires).

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
The Jeep has no max speed for 4hi. Just keep it under 45 for shifting in and out of 2hi/4hi. If I were you and snowy roads were my main concern, I would probably opt for the 4auto box.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD