Sponsored

Newbie question about stock wheels and what can and can’t do.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I have a new Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door and I don’t want to change out the new wheels just yet, I’d at least like to get a year or so out of them. My dilemma is trying to do more over landing. I don’t need to go crazy but do live in San Diego and go to anzu berouga desert a lot. We also do mountain trails but more the light ones. We are trying to camp in more off the track places, but wondering is anyone else getting away with using the stock wheels ?
they are bridgestone 245 17.

I did go to Fonts point A few weeks back which has some deep sands in places on the short trail to there. I was in 4H and while it handled it the engine was really working hard bt we got there and back. I didn’t air down and just went for it.

I get it larger tires with all terrain grip would be better. But again does anyone on here feel You could get a year out of what I have doing moderate trails ?

5A98F1E4-13B0-4F8D-9A1A-BFB435D8A33B.jpeg
Sponsored

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
Use them until you either wear them out or they no longer get you where you want to go - which ever comes first.

If money is no object, whip out the plastic and begin the never ending quest for "better (insert choice here)" something.

Spoiler alert: it will cost WAY more than you think once you start down that rabbit hole...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My personal opinion (I don’t know the trails you are talking about) is that those tires will be fine for many places that you will want to go. Are they great for sand? No. Mud? No. gravel/rock? No. Are there better choices? Yes. BUT........

......that doesn’t mean that your tires are “bad”. As the poster above said: use them until they no longer get you to where you want to go. Sometimes I think folks are too quick to replace a tire because they think that they MUST do that. Your Jeep is an off-road beast with the tires it has. Use them until they no longer get you to where you want to go.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FWIW: All OEM JL wheels are the same width, have the same backspacing, and all are 17" except for the Sahara. Assuming you have proper modifications for tire clearance, your wheels can support any of the tires that are run on Rubicon wheels.

OP
OP

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Thank you all. That’s what I suspected and love the line.

“Use them until they no longer get you to where you want to go”.

Sponsored

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
I did go to Fonts point A few weeks back which has some deep sands in places on the short trail to there. I was in 4H and while it handled it the engine was really working hard bt we got there and back. I didn’t air down and just went for it.

I get it larger tires with all terrain grip would be better. But again does anyone on here feel You could get a year out of what I have doing moderate trails ?
You need to get a portable air compressor so you can air up after you air down on the trail. I use the following rule of thumb:
1. On firm dirt roads, I air down to about 1/2 of my street pressure. My street pressure is 34psi, so I air down to 17psi. This is primarily to soften the ride.
2. On soft sand or mud or snow, I air down to about 1/3 of my street pressure. In my case, I air down to 12psi. This increases the footprint and improves traction and flotation.

If you go to Blowsand Hill in Ocotillo Wells, you will definitely need to air down. If you get stuck in soft sand, DON'T spin the wheels. Spinning the wheels will dig you deeper. Instead, air down further and gently rock back and forth until you can drive out of the rut.

OP
OP

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Thank you Russ that’s great advice and much appreciated. I just got a compressor so looking forward to trying out your advice next trip.

Thank you.
Sponsored