dotmundo

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda CRV
Hello,

I currently drive a 2003 Honda CRV which has a 2.4L 4cyl engine and am starting to shop for the new JL. I totally get the advantages the turbo has for more immediate torque but one thing I admit I am ignorant on regarding turbocharged engines is how do they perform on the highway on lengthy hill climbs. So for example when I am driving the CRV and climbing hills at highway speeds, its not that unusual that I have the throttle wide open but still need to move into the slow lane so as not to block faster traffic. I have to assume that this will also happen with the Jeep 4 and that this is one area where the Jeep 6 will have some advantages. Is this correct?

Thanks for everything!!!
Sponsored

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Not even close. It does kick down, and it may need more throttle, but if you are wide open... you will be accelerating fast even uphill.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Actually the turbo is better for power at speed rather than immediate torque. However the 2.0 turbo also has a mild hybrid assist that provides torque boost at low RPMs where the turbo isn't really doing much.

You won't have ANY problems with the 2.0 on inclines, hills, mountains, etc. It'll go as fast as you want or dare. I don't see any real advantage between the 4 & 6 in this regard, both produce similar HP. Rumor has it that the 2.0 turbo will have a slight advantage at altitude over the 6-cyl due to the forced induction.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the 4-cyl for this reason. Personally I LOVE the small turbo but you'll find plenty of people on both sides of this fence.

Here's a YouTube video comparing the 2:

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Careful with that video, there is heavy bias.

Either way, with heavy 315/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I have no issues with long hills in a JLUR 2.0.
Yes that video makes me cringe, very bias indeed.
I will not be buying from CJ Pony Parts.

To the OP, it's a Turbo with most likely around 100 more HP than your Honda. And more HP and Torque in the usable RPM range compared to the V6.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
The turbo is running around 1600-1700 rpm @ 65 mph. It holds very consistent speed with cruise control on and will downshift as needed to hold speed. The 8 spd auto is smooth shifting. You only notice the shifting when climbing or descending a hill. It will down shift to slow you down or to climb a hill. It takes a few mph over the cruise setting before it downshifts to maintain constant speed.

My understanding is the electric torque assist is up to about 1500-1600 rpm range to increase torque at low rpm. Turbo lag is not really noticeable. Likely at highway speed the E torque is not doing much and is mostly turbo.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Not even close. It does kick down, and it may need more throttle, but if you are wide open... you will be accelerating fast even uphill.
100% agree, I drive up to the mountains quite a bit and there are some long inclines and it's always got great power, sooooo much better than my JK which used to be pedal to the ground and barely moving haha

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
In their off-road comparison they gave the nod to the 2.0 due to the better torque. As with all reviews take it with a grain of salt, but there is ample evidence just from users here that the 2.0 is not lacking in any respect compared to the V6 (my intent of posting the video).

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
It's great!! plenty of power to tackle any hill with no problems. You will get a lot of looks from the right lane like "wtf...is that a Wrangler that just blew past me??"

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The turbo is running around 1600-1700 rpm @ 65 mph. It holds very consistent speed with cruise control on and will downshift as needed to hold speed. The 8 spd auto is smooth shifting. You only notice the shifting when climbing or descending a hill. It will down shift to slow you down or to climb a hill. It takes a few mph over the cruise setting before it downshifts to maintain constant speed.

My understanding is the electric torque assist is up to about 1500-1600 rpm range to increase torque at low rpm. Turbo lag is not really noticeable. Likely at highway speed the E torque is not doing much and is mostly turbo.
Any idea of how many RPM a Rubicon 2.0 is running at 65 mph?