First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR,16 Siverado; 61 & 02 Vettes, 67 Camaro
Occupation
Finally retired! Futures industry executive
I will be doing my first off-roading in the triangle area of Colorado Springs, Buena Vista and Vail areas in July. I would appreciate recommendations for easier trails and hiking on the side.
Sponsored

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Just got back from Colorado Springs, there's a bunch of easy stuff right there. Took Mount Herman Road up to Rampart Range road over to the Balanced Rock trail and back down into Garden of the Gods. Amazing views all around.

Hopefully the snow is gone by July(!), but last year went over to the Break area and played around in the trails by Montezuma. Also, there was an easy little pass just west of Vail that was nice. I think it was Shrine Pass.

Boulder area is another good place to go.

Check out this site: http://trailsoffroad.com

The Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book was great too.

OP
OP
bboyk

bboyk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just got back from Colorado Springs, there's a bunch of easy stuff right there. Took Mount Herman Road up to Rampart Range road over to the Balanced Rock trail and back down into Garden of the Gods. Amazing views all around.

Hopefully the snow is gone by July(!), but last year went over to the Break area and played around in the trails by Montezuma. Also, there was an easy little pass just west of Vail that was nice. I think it was Shrine Pass.

Boulder area is another good place to go.

Check out this site: http://trailsoffroad.com

The Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book was great too.
Thank you very much. Others have recommended the trails books and I have purchased them.
Sorry for the delay in thanking you. I have been driving from Chicago to Bozeman and back the past week as the first phase of moving my daughter to Burlington VT.

OP
OP
bboyk

bboyk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you. Very informative.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Also looking to go out to Colorado Springs in September. First time and don't want to damage my brand new JLUR. My 4th wrangler but only done mild offroading in farm fields. Thanks for the suggestions. If there is any other "must do" things in the area, i'd love to hear about it.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
There is plenty of mild trails around here, Metberry Gulch is nice check out my garage for photos, its a easier out and back it also has a great camping area at the end near the Platte river that you can park at and hike around. I just did it this past weekend. there is also a local guide that does classes that are very helpful and fun. I'm new to wheeling in the Rockies and enjoy the more mild trails as to not damage my new stock JLUR, I lightly kissed a few spots on the undercarriage, I probably took a tad bit of incorrect lines, but it didn't leave any marks. The Facebook page is Peak 2 Peak trail guides if you're interested. Troy the owner is awesome and a huge Jeep enthusiast.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Illinois Gulch about half an hour from Colorado Springs. The snow was mostly melted as of last March. It would be practical to go there when driving from CS to Vail. It's a VERY scenic route too.

Don't let the "Difficult" rating throw you off. That is for one part of the area called Mini Moab. There are bypasses to get around it. I watched a Renegade Trailhawk go through the entire trail (using the bypasses).

I made a video of my last trip there:
Sponsored