Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at lift kits and the different variations are overwhelming. My main question is: I want a 2 to 2.5" lift, but some kits come with shocks, others don't. I am picking up my '18 Sahara JLU on the 23rd so I have some time to shop, but I don't know which kit to buy! With shocks or without?

Secondary question: there are suspension lifts and spacer lifts, it seems from my research that the suspension lifts all involve springs and shocks, whereas the spacer lifts just do that, give you spacers. Again, is one better than the other?

What I'm after is a lift but not a hard ride. I still want my senior citizen butt to have some comfort as I will be driving 80% of the time on pavement.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Soooo....here's something I don't see discussed much but MC makes a bolt-on rear shock relocation kit.

I'd consider spending $90 on that and simply re-use your stock shocks for the rear. It moves the lower mounting point up (around 1.5" I think?). The gravy is increased ground clearance, but I'd cut the LCA mount to realize the true clearance benefits here.

I just did this but DIY'd it as I've got just about anything for metalworking. But for the MC parts you just need some wrenches and a grinder or recip saw (the latter are optional). If in doubt a fab shop oughta trim it up for ya for ~$20 or maybe a case of beer

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I am looking at lift kits and the different variations are overwhelming. My main question is: I want a 2 to 2.5" lift, but some kits come with shocks, others don't. I am picking up my '18 Sahara JLU on the 23rd so I have some time to shop, but I don't know which kit to buy! With shocks or without?

Secondary question: there are suspension lifts and spacer lifts, it seems from my research that the suspension lifts all involve springs and shocks, whereas the spacer lifts just do that, give you spacers. Again, is one better than the other?

What I'm after is a lift but not a hard ride. I still want my senior citizen butt to have some comfort as I will be driving 80% of the time on pavement.

Thanks so much.
if you plan on putting 35's then you should go up to 3 1/2" suspension lift. I would avoid spacer lift. My sahara has the Rancho 3.5" lift with 9000 adjustable shocks on 35's and rides great. the adjustable setting lets you dial in the shocks to your comfort. cost difference was about $800 total from a spacer lift.

RanchoShocks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Thanks for the kind words!
OP here is a good side by side image for you.
Both on 37" tires too
3.5" on green
2" on grey
Both are a Rubicon :)

if you plan on putting 35's then you should go up to 3 1/2" suspension lift. I would avoid spacer lift. My sahara has the Rancho 3.5" lift with 9000 adjustable shocks on 35's and rides great. the adjustable setting lets you dial in the shocks to your comfort. cost difference was about $800 total from a spacer lift.
3.5"vs2"Bothon37".jpg

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I put on the Rancho Lift for my JLUR with the 9000 series shocks. The lift was under 800 dollars and I installed it in my driveway in 4 hours. I run the shocks on the softest setting around town and it rides like a dream. The 37 in tires span most potholes and the shocks smooth out the road. It is as smooth a ride as most or better than passenger cars. LOVE the ride.

The lift flexes well off road and I turn the shocks up so the Jeep does not bottom out off big drops or over high speed bumps on the dunes. Very happy with it. After I ran it for a while and others in the Jeep club started buying JL wranglers. They would drive my Jeep and then be as amazed as I was and then they also bought the Rancho lift.

I have installed four of the Rancho lifts in the driveway now with the 9000 series shocks and we are all happy with the performance of the lift. It is quiet, flexes, and you can adjusted the shocks to the condition. What is not to love.

Pics. of my Jeep flexing

80-1ChULf5FhzDwkXzqkkph7ae82UhUdosiWgMKvR3xvfX_c5xCqD2VhKy0q33mByX-3KwNV&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

BvqJl3_cZnPNcc3_1833iaMX9AzmpBTaqUO1yTEOsAv6U7c0yky7RbqZUHO6QNhSSfYlFLyN&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

This is Amanda's JL doing an obstacle on the badge of honor trail..Drummond Island
U2KYliSusK9-P2iSSiI0WkrrB0UeUqesiyYRJKT7wD01V-97uKEpdKMbKyRjIr6o12ey6P19QULtzhC28s=w1259-h708-no.jpg

Phil's Jeep
dniOSYn8re1QwRtraK5bY7aA7Ge35SnOjPsDrLCfTYYFsaWhMwucEESU90jcn2qcC6KAoobd&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

Bill's Jeep
1Lcq4psmpZYjd6Ezaun_c3XGddxTxmIKZa0ikFLbNJpMnsRbBNN2W7SR9JT0WeiGKy2Ro_6S&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

We off road them all. They have been on been to Windrock, all over Michigan and soon these Jeeps are headed to Colorado.

Each install was easy as the instructions were top notch. Big Thanks to Rancho for great instruction. The last one we put on, we did in 3 hours, 33 minutes and 39 seconds. We timed it as we thought we had gotten the hang of it. The point is the Rancho lift is engineered well, the quality is great. They have a great warranty and we have pounded these Jeeps with the Rancho lift and have not had a single problem.

Are there better lifts out there? Sure there are lifts that cost thousands of dollars. Are there any at or around 1000 dollars. I don't think so. Some are close, but for the price point, quality, and ease of installation Rancho was the clear winner for me, Amanda, Phil and Bill.

RanchoShocks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Thanks guys for the pics and reviews!!!!
Enjoy CO wibornz!!

I put on the Rancho Lift for my JLUR with the 9000 series shocks. The lift was under 800 dollars and I installed it in my driveway in 4 hours. I run the shocks on the softest setting around town and it rides like a dream. The 37 in tires span most potholes and the shocks smooth out the road. It is as smooth a ride as most or better than passenger cars. LOVE the ride.

The lift flexes well off road and I turn the shocks up so the Jeep does not bottom out off big drops or over high speed bumps on the dunes. Very happy with it. After I ran it for a while and others in the Jeep club started buying JL wranglers. They would drive my Jeep and then be as amazed as I was and then they also bought the Rancho lift.

I have installed four of the Rancho lifts in the driveway now with the 9000 series shocks and we are all happy with the performance of the lift. It is quiet, flexes, and you can adjusted the shocks to the condition. What is not to love.

Pics. of my Jeep flexing

80-1ChULf5FhzDwkXzqkkph7ae82UhUdosiWgMKvR3xvfX_c5xCqD2VhKy0q33mByX-3KwNV&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

BvqJl3_cZnPNcc3_1833iaMX9AzmpBTaqUO1yTEOsAv6U7c0yky7RbqZUHO6QNhSSfYlFLyN&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

This is Amanda's JL doing an obstacle on the badge of honor trail..Drummond Island
U2KYliSusK9-P2iSSiI0WkrrB0UeUqesiyYRJKT7wD01V-97uKEpdKMbKyRjIr6o12ey6P19QULtzhC28s=w1259-h708-no.jpg

Phil's Jeep
dniOSYn8re1QwRtraK5bY7aA7Ge35SnOjPsDrLCfTYYFsaWhMwucEESU90jcn2qcC6KAoobd&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

Bill's Jeep
1Lcq4psmpZYjd6Ezaun_c3XGddxTxmIKZa0ikFLbNJpMnsRbBNN2W7SR9JT0WeiGKy2Ro_6S&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

We off road them all. They have been on been to Windrock, all over Michigan and soon these Jeeps are headed to Colorado.

Each install was easy as the instructions were top notch. Big Thanks to Rancho for great instruction. The last one we put on, we did in 3 hours, 33 minutes and 39 seconds. We timed it as we thought we had gotten the hang of it. The point is the Rancho lift is engineered well, the quality is great. They have a great warranty and we have pounded these Jeeps with the Rancho lift and have not had a single problem.

Are there better lifts out there? Sure there are lifts that cost thousands of dollars. Are there any at or around 1000 dollars. I don't think so. Some are close, but for the price point, quality, and ease of installation Rancho was the clear winner for me, Amanda, Phil and Bill.
Here's a Sahara on your 3.5 inch lift you can add to your gallery

20190730_200211.jpg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I too just installed the Rancho Lift Kit 2 weeks ago. And agree with the above. It rides GREAT!! I didn't get the option with the 9000 shocks and will probably upgrade to those at a later date but the new and improved 5000's are no joke either. They perform great!! I still need to upgrade to my 35" tires but for now I have no complaints at all. I also got this kit barely used from TEChris for a very very good price(under 450). So I can't complain.

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You only need 2" of lift for 35's. You're just going to need more parts to correct everything going taller.

Our Starter System is a great option if you are looking for premium American made components. We reuse the stock shocks by relocating them front and rear, keeping the stock ride quality. This system is easily upgradable to our higher-level systems as well.
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-2-inch-lift-starter-system.html
8820-2010-MAIN-1200.jpg
IMG_20190613_101931.jpg

Sponsored

Goblin42

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I'm in the market for a 3.5 myself on a non-rubicon and are clueless. so i'll see what pops up here.

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I'm in the market for a 3.5 myself on a non-rubicon and are clueless. so i'll see what pops up here.
The rancho is a good lift to look into. Hard to justify buying a more expensive lift unless you're rock crawling often (which rancho has a lift for rock). I test drove a jeep with the Icon lift, mopar lift and rancho lift and I ended up choosing rancho as the others were really stiff on a daily basis when the rancho was adjustable to my comfort.

Goblin42

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Thank you all for the input, I really do appreciate it! It would seem that I'll be looking to put the rancho kit on w/ the adj shocks. I look forward to getting the Jeep communities advice on further decisions. :jk::like:

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Well, I like my mopar 2” lift. It gave me 3.5” lift after install.

EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
Would you mind sending a link to where you got the Rancho Lift for your JLUR with the 9000 series shocks? I assume it was the 3.5" lift kit?
Sponsored