Newbie Lift Question

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2018 JLUR and I know that the Rubicon is 1.5 inches higher than the Sport and .75 inches higher than the Sahara. My question is how this starting point effects advertised lift height. Meaning if I were to get a 2.5 inch lift will that just lift my Rubicon 1 inch but it will lift a Sport 2.5 inches? I have done a ton of searches on here and have not found this answer, most post related to lift height are geared towards what size tire will fit. Thank for any input
Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Check the websites of the manufacturers that you're interested in. They should state what the base vehicle is and how that height was established. For us, all of our 4 door JL lifts are based off of Rubicon height so a Rubi will see 2.5" but a sport will see a bit more.

OP
OP
TBULL52

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Check the websites of the manufacturers that you're interested in. They should state what the base vehicle is and how that height was established. For us, all of our 4 door JL lifts are based off of Rubicon height so a Rubi will see 2.5" but a sport will see a bit more.
Thank you very much for the info.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Is that to say that your 2 door lifts are NOT based on the Rubicon stock height?

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Is that to say that your 2 door lifts are NOT based on the Rubicon stock height?
That is correct. Roughly 10% of 2 door sales are Rubicons so, to us, it made more sense to base 2 door lifts off of sport height which accounts for about 75-80% of 2 door sales.

Sponsored

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I thought the lift height, (x), meant that you will get (x) inches of height increase when you install the lift. Is this incorrect?

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
I thought the lift height, (x), meant that you will get (x) inches of height increase when you install the lift. Is this incorrect?
That's true if you have a base vehicle that matches what the manufacturer engineered their products off of.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Yes, that is correct. However, that's based on an initial spring height. The stock (Sport, Sport S, Sahara) springs are, for ease, 20". So a lift advertising 2.5" would have springs that are 22.5". But a Rubicon comes lifted right from the factory, with springs that are 21.5". So adding the 22.5" lifted springs, really only nets 1" in this case.

A spacer lift on the other hand lifts exactly as much as is advertised, regardless of initial lift. that's because it's literally just a spacer for whatever springs are already mounted.

Last edited:

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Yes, that is correct. However, that's based on an initial spring height. The stock (Sport, Sport S, Sahara) springs are, for ease, 20". So a lift advertising 2.5" would have springs that are 22.5". But a Rubicon comes lifted right from the factory, with springs that are 21.5". So adding the 22.5" lifted springs, really only nets 1" in this case.

A spacer lift on the other hand lifts exactly as much as is advertised, regardless of initial lift. that's because it's literally just a spacer for whatever springs are already mounted.
Ok,that makes sense

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I’m guessing from what I’ve seen and read that Jeep did way with the different spring numbers for what the Jeep was optioned for during the JK era and are just using 3 types used for each model?
For example a soft top only will use the same spring from factory as a fully loaded dual top

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
I’m guessing from what I’ve seen and read that Jeep did way with the different spring numbers for what the Jeep was optioned for during the JK era and are just using 3 types used for each model?
For example a soft top only will use the same spring from factory as a fully loaded dual top
That's not correct. We have seen 25+ different spring part numbers on JL's and hear rumors that there's over 40 unique part numbers.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
That's not correct. We have seen 25+ different spring part numbers on JL's and hear rumors that there's over 40 unique part numbers.
Ahh ok, just noticed when I pulled my stock springs there wasn’t a tag and didn’t notice a number stamping on them like the JK coils. Wasn’t so much going for just Rubi coils then, it was the 19/60 springs guys were after
As similar as the suspension is, so much more now to learn and remember haha

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Ahh ok, just noticed when I pulled my stock springs there wasn’t a tag and didn’t notice a number stamping on them like the JK coils. Wasn’t so much going for just Rubi coils then, it was the 19/60 springs guys were after
As similar as the suspension is, so much more now to learn and remember haha
oh yeah, there's a ton of random little differences between each one.
Sponsored