Sponsored

Newbie Jeep owner- need advice on headliners.

minimiso

First Name
Kimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Just bought my first JEEP!! I live in FL and it’s hot AF. Do the headliners work? If so, what are the best ones? Do you need the window panels as well? Thanks!! ⚡
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I in in the south also I have been thinking about the thing. I have been looking at the hot head full system to include rear window side panels. It is jut hard to let go of $500+

OP
OP

minimiso

First Name
Kimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I know. I’ve been comparing the OEM, hotheads, and boom mats. Not sure what to get. Seems like they all have pros and cons.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Highlander
From everything I’ve read people love the Hothead Headliners... expensive? Maybe, but it seems worth it to me. I’m going to custom order my Sport S and I was originally gonna go with the Mopar liners but am now gonna go for these...

And I think they’re a Forum sponsor, to boot...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hothead-headliners.6384/

Sponsored

OP
OP

minimiso

First Name
Kimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
From everything I’ve read people love the Hothead Headliners... expensive? Maybe, but it seems worth it to me. I’m going to custom order my Sport S and I was originally gonna go with the Mopar liners but am now gonna go for these...

And I think they’re a Forum sponsor, to boot...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hothead-headliners.6384/
The owner does seems really nice, I asked for fabric samples (not sure what color to go with) and he sent them out ASAP!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Highlander
And they have amazingly detailed videos on YouTube about installing them in both the 2-door and 4-doors, JL and JK... that’s what sold me on them, actually. It seems a lot of the time we have to rely on tips we pick up either from others or on the Forums, but I didn’t feel like that with these.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I know. I’ve been comparing the OEM, hotheads, and boom mats. Not sure what to get. Seems like they all have pros and cons.

Hands down the Hot Heads liner are great. They are thicker with a heat barrier on the back. And, the best part is they are super easy to install. Mark has videos that help you with that. I suggest you get the sound barrier strips also. HotHeads cost a little more, but well worth the difference. IMHO

OP
OP

minimiso

First Name
Kimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
What about the side panels for the windows? Do you think those are necessary?

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
What about the side panels for the windows? Do you think those are necessary?
That's a good question Kimmy. I bought them along with the head liner, but can't say if they are necessary or not. I really don't know if they help, but they look good. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer to your question. One thing though, they come separate from the top pieces so if you decide you want them later you can easily order them.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
They are not necessary from a functional standpoint. Most people buy them to complete the finished look.

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
Just bought my first JEEP!! I live in FL and it’s hot AF. Do the headliners work? If so, what are the best ones? Do you need the window panels as well? Thanks!! ⚡
I just received the Hothead Headliners with side windows and the Sound Assassin strips. This is the 2nd time I am using them, as I had the kit in my JK and they worked great. I use my Jeep as a DD and am on the phone a lot and it really helps to hear on the built in blue tooth speaker or my Air Pods. They a little improved for the JL being thicker and having the heat shield backing. The 3M tape is more than enough to hold them in place, I had them for 3 years on my JK with NO issues. Make sure you use acetone to pre-clean as shown in the install video.

I agree with all the other posts on the quality, i looked at the Mopar liners and they are more like carpet lining, while the Hotheads are plush quality fabric, can't speak to other brands. It helps mostly with heat and cold, but does also offer sound dampening especially with the Sound Assassin strips when it rains. Also is a little quieter for road noise and the stereo system sounds much better. The rear side windows offer more cosmetic finish rather than temp or sound, but I think they make it look more finished.

I would highly recommend. I guess the con is the price, but if you compare to others without the rear side windows and sound dampening they are not really a con.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I just received the Hothead Headliners with side windows and the Sound Assassin strips. This is the 2nd time I am using them, as I had the kit in my JK and they worked great. I use my Jeep as a DD and am on the phone a lot and it really helps to hear on the built in blue tooth speaker or my Air Pods. They a little improved for the JL being thicker and having the heat shield backing. The 3M tape is more than enough to hold them in place, I had them for 3 years on my JK with NO issues. Make sure you use acetone to pre-clean as shown in the install video.

I agree with all the other posts on the quality, i looked at the Mopar liners and they are more like carpet lining, while the Hotheads are plush quality fabric, can't speak to other brands. It helps mostly with heat and cold, but does also offer sound dampening especially with the Sound Assassin strips when it rains. Also is a little quieter for road noise and the stereo system sounds much better. The rear side windows offer more cosmetic finish rather than temp or sound, but I think they make it look more finished.

I would highly recommend. I guess the con is the price, but if you compare to others without the rear side windows and sound dampening they are not really a con.
I didn't even think about the radio Mac, but you are right. I was going to pack the sub woofer with poli-fill, but with the Hot Heads installed I do get a better sound with deeper base from the sub. Kinda like an extra added value from Hot Head. :)

Lmike6453

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude (Black)
I just bought my JL last week and researched this as well. Went with Hothead Headliners w/ optional rear window shrouds and installed yesterday - they are great.

I bought plastic wrap covering from Lowes for $4 in the paint protection cloth isle and it covered up the Jeep well from hand sanding dust. Sanding wasn't bad at all since it only requires light scuffing on the fiberglass type material of hard top.

h2%l%tCoSlGW6C7GN%gIkg.jpg

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
I just bought my JL last week and researched this as well. Went with Hothead Headliners w/ optional rear window shrouds and installed yesterday - they are great.

I bought plastic wrap covering from Lowes for $4 in the paint protection cloth isle and it covered up the Jeep well from hand sanding dust. Sanding wasn't bad at all since it only requires light scuffing on the fiberglass type material of hard top.

h2%l%tCoSlGW6C7GN%gIkg.jpg
Yes, you really only have to lightly scuff where the 3M taped is going to be applied and then wipe it down a couple of times with acetone over those areas. Doesn’t make a terrible mess. No need to go crazy and sand the entire thing down.
Sponsored