Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP: like I said, it is your money, and these things aren’t cheap. Don’t let anyone talk you into buying something you don’t like.

If you test drive other JLs and you find one that drives to your liking, buy it. If you don’t, don’t buy it thinking that the dealer will fix it under warranty.

There’s a number of forum members on here tired and frustrated trying to get the dealer to fix their JL. The reality is, most dealers are at a loss how to fix the issue.

Good luck.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps handle like crap. They corner horribly, and take a long distance to stop. There is no getting around it. It is the trade-off for being great off road. That being said, I find them fun to drive...after you get used to it. Automotive Maxim No. 3: It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow. It takes a while to get to know it and I think part of it is becoming desensitized to the high center of gravity with the weight shifts from side to side. That and the numb steering makes you tend to overcompensate at first which is not fun. Give it 600 miles and see how you like it. The steering shaking does not sound right like a bit of death wobble. Ask your dealer to check the torque on your front end bits and ask them about the steering stabilizer.
Agree. The steering shouldn’t be shaking. That is definitely not normal.

But I wouldn’t ask the dealer to fix anything. Sorry, if the JL you test drive doesn’t feel right, move on. There are plenty of new JLs out there.

There are too many inconsistencies with the steering on these JLs to get stuck with one that needs work.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate your response it helps :)
Welcome if you decide to get the Jeep. I have driven 3 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cabs for 10 years. They drive and handle like a 300 Chrysler luxury car. So coming to my first Jeep ever a Sahara JLU the drive and steering are not like any other vehicle. They are not even close. They will and Do handle differently. That's the trade-off for whats underneath to go off-road. I realized all the differences real fast. I did have a Steering Damper recall that I just did and can tell difference with the new one on. The more you drive it you won't notice. They are Jeeps so enjoy !!! :rock::jk:

SportE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Sport, Audi S3, 2Dr Rubicon
Agree. The steering shouldn’t be shaking. That is definitely not normal.

But I wouldn’t ask the dealer to fix anything. Sorry, if the JL you test drive doesn’t feel right, move on. There are plenty of new JLs out there.

There are too many inconsistencies with the steering on these JLs to get stuck with one that needs work.
Oh. I thought OP already owned the Jeep cuz of the warranty comment. Agreed that if that one has shaking after bumps, move on to another one. They don't all do that.

Sponsored

SportE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Sport, Audi S3, 2Dr Rubicon
Jeeps drive like crap , but compared to what?
Pretty much anything that doesn't have solid axels, which is a pretty small bunch of vehicles. However, I want to be clear that wouldn't think of getting rid of my Jeep. You do grow accustomed to it and begin to like it for everything else it has to offer.

rumblejeep

First Name
Doublehaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sahara
Hey sorry not trying to stir up anything or be one of those guys. I am very much new to this and like you said, I do not want to mis diagnose what is normal driving characteristics.
Dont apologize to that clown. He is rude. Vague steering seems to be the norm , shaking after hitting a bump is not !

OP
OP

Jeep_life123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISO Jeep
Thank you to everyone for your responses! I did some research and took a look at the steering damper. The Jeep has part 580AC with date code less then 257. I have not purchased the Jeep yet...They will be replacing the dampener and I will take it out on another extended test drive.

8AD5B863-AC27-408F-B96A-4365700B12EC.jpeg

033EDD0D-A54C-4C7A-9EB9-FDD761C56DC0.png

Last edited:

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Hey there,
My 2018 JL drives very nice. The steering dampener recall came out, and even though I hadn't experience any issues, it was recommended that I have the recall done.
They installed the dampener incorrectly, and I THEN experienced the same shimmy effect when hitting bumps, as you described in your post. I took it back and they installed a new one, properly, and my steering is great again. I see in the last post before mine, you already seemed to get to the root of the problem. I'd recommend you test drive 2 or 3 more to find the one that drives as it should, so you know.

OP
OP

Jeep_life123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISO Jeep
Hey there,
My 2018 JL drives very nice. The steering dampener recall came out, and even though I hadn't experience any issues, it was recommended that I have the recall done.
They installed the dampener incorrectly, and I THEN experienced the same shimmy effect when hitting bumps, as you described in your post. I took it back and they installed a new one, properly, and my steering is great again. I see in the last post before mine, you already seemed to get to the root of the problem. I'd recommend you test drive 2 or 3 more to find the one that drives as it should, so you know.
I did see that seems to happen a lot. I will check it before driving.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
PLEASE HELP THE NEWBIE :)

Hi all. I am on an extended test drive of a 2018 JLU Sahara still under bumper to bumper warranty and noticed some things I have some questions on. :)

I realize this is a solid axle vehicle and will be a rougher ride. I am speaking from inexperience and wondering if the below is the “norm” and if so, what could I do to address it or make it better?

STEERING:
I am still getting used to the steering feel. I think it feels kinda numb and is hard to tell when the wheels move because of how light the steering is. I’d say the first 3 inches from each side is the lightest area. I’d say less then 1 inch of dead zone and is fine to drive on highway. Any suggestions I could have them try to help before buying? (Like flashing steering or an update?) or any mods that would help to create a heavier steering feel? I plan to keep it stock for a while so keep that in mind.

SHAKING STEERING:
Since I am new to jeeps and solid axle vehicles can anyone comment if your steering wheel/axle should shake for a second or two when you hit a bump like on an overpass bridge? It has done it a few times. I wouldn’t say it was dangerous, but coming from inexperience it felt weird and want to know If this is normal? If not, what should I have them address before purchasing?

WANDERING assessment:
I can hold it in a straight line on the highway and it does not wander much. Changing lanes it does wander a bit like I have to counter correct to get it back in the lane, but then stays pretty well straight. Would you say this is normal? I think this could also be because I am not used to a 4x4. I am not alarmed by this unless you think I should be lol.

Appreciate your insights on a potential new Jeeper.

Honestly ??? I think you are a troll .Yes , everybody that has driven Wrangler can feel slight difference in the way the vehicle handles but when I read how your steering wheel shakes and you wonder all over the road I smell a rat. I would encourage anybody interested in buying a Wrangler to ask for a road test at your local Chrysler dealership or rent one for a day. I think you will truly enjoy the driving experience . You will feel like you are driving a tank. You will feel confident and safe in your Jeep . I am done with you Mr. Anonymous. Have you ever heard of the men who stare at goats? Well , I am one of them and I think you are exaggerating .

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Test drive another one. I have a 2020 and the steering doesn’t feel numb compared to other cars. It corners fine and brakes in plenty of time but I do have the upgraded brakes on my Willys. I love it! It isn’t any harder to drive than any other car, for me anyway and my last car was a Lexus. It does seem to jump when it hits certain bumps but I honestly don’t know if that’s the bump combined with wind or whatever, I don’t know. It’s only done that about 3 times and I’ve had it since November. Test drive them until you find one that feels easy to drive. Just make sure it doesn’t wander and the steering wheel starts returning to center after a turn. Good luck!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Jeeps do drive differently from other vehicles, but some JLs do have defective steering. I would recommend driving more Jeeps to get a feel for them and to see if what you’re noticing is consistent and if you like the Jeep.

Good luck in your search!

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Just my opinion. Everything OP and some others describe about steering is wrong and should not be like this. Im driving my first Jeep now and I dont have any of this problems. I have sport on Rubicon suspension and wheels. Steering is not as precise as lowed M3 but not too bad, handling is better than RX350. OP should test drive a different Jeep.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
If it's a test drive, find another one.
Just because many have these issues doesn't mean it's acceptable. I had one that wandered and accepted it as "a Jeep thing". It got bought back due to electrical problems and the replacement steers, handles and rides perfectly. Its not a sports car, but it handles as well as any other SUV. It shouldn't wander, shake and drive like a 70s truck with a bad steering box.
The steering damper won't do anything for it and I wouldn't count on the dealer being able to resolve it. Read everything here, there is no definitive fix for one that's misbehaving.
Sponsored