Sponsored

Newbie - is this normal for a Jeep questions

Jnez2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
This is because of the steering box ratio - according to some research done by another member, the 4-door box is 15.6 to 1 and the 2-door box is 17.4 to 1. Basically what's happening is since we have these high-ratio boxes, it makes the turning effort easier because of the heavy wheel-tire combo, but can make it prone to numbness or wandering (think old '70s couch-on-wheels Buicks and Cadillacs). Sports cars and the like have much tighter ratio boxes, usually around 12 to 1.

These numbers translate into roughly 4 complete rotations of the steering wheel to go from full-left to full-right when you have a box around 17:1, and 3 complete rotations (maybe less) of the steering wheel when it's dropped down to 12:1. That will make a big difference in how much the steering wheel needs to be turned to negotiate a curve, and how numb it may feel. But again, remember this is Jeep's way of avoiding complaints that the steering is too heavy or firm; a quick-ratio box can give that feeling to some drivers, especially with heavy wheels and tires.
Wow! Thank you for the explanation! That was very helpful! I think I’m starting to get used to the feeling.... I’ve only ever driven sports cars, so when making the transition it was pretty freaky. Felt like I had absolutely no control!
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Wow! Thank you for the explanation! That was very helpful! I think I’m starting to get used to the feeling.... I’ve only ever driven sports cars, so when making the transition it was pretty freaky. Felt like I had absolutely no control!
You're welcome, glad my explanation helped! It definitely takes some getting used to; some people adapt right away, and some will hate it forever and chase down different ways of improving how it feels to them. I've driven a lot of different vehicles in my 30 years behind the wheel; I've owned '70s-'90s GM RWD cars, then a few FWD cars, an XJ Cherokee with a similar front suspension to the JL, an AWD Infiniti G35, and before my JL I had a RWD Charger R/T. Each suspension design has it's own strengths and flaws and some handle very differently.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I just skimmed some of the responses to the OP. Yea, jeep could have done a better job for the money. When I got myTJ it was the cheapest new SUV out there. It handled great...... for a jeep.

The JL might be a little odd handling but it is nothing like the white knuckeled ride that my old leaf spring on shackle lifts YJ used to give. It was death-defying to take that out on an interstate and get going over 60 in traffic (down hill of course). For God's sake, you did not want to hit a pothole and have the whole front end jumping out of control trying to slam you into the jersey wall!

Yea, the JL is a little numb feeling but it sure saves on underwear.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My first car was my dads 1998 XJ. I remember the steering was very loose and kind of all over the place compared to the 2001 blazer, but the blazer had the worst turning radius and was all wobbly.

Then I moved to a 2011 jeep patriot and a 2013 toyota corolla.

My 2019 JL 2 door is my first Wrangler, my other vehicle is a 2020 Camry. I never noticed anything strange with the wrangler other than it drives so well. I had 2018 JL that got totalled and it also drove like a dream, when I test drove the JL they still had JKs and the JL drove so much better. I love taking my JL on long trips. The only apparent difference was the ride height, the high center of gravity and the suspension when hitting bumps. The Camry feels glued to the road and like it just glides on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my steering and my 2018 was perfect too, both with the aluminum box.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
PLEASE HELP THE NEWBIE :)

Hi all. I am on an extended test drive of a 2018 JLU Sahara still under bumper to bumper warranty and noticed some things I have some questions on. :)

I realize this is a solid axle vehicle and will be a rougher ride. I am speaking from inexperience and wondering if the below is the “norm” and if so, what could I do to address it or make it better?

STEERING:
I am still getting used to the steering feel. I think it feels kinda numb and is hard to tell when the wheels move because of how light the steering is. I’d say the first 3 inches from each side is the lightest area. I’d say less then 1 inch of dead zone and is fine to drive on highway. Any suggestions I could have them try to help before buying? (Like flashing steering or an update?) or any mods that would help to create a heavier steering feel? I plan to keep it stock for a while so keep that in mind.

SHAKING STEERING:
Since I am new to jeeps and solid axle vehicles can anyone comment if your steering wheel/axle should shake for a second or two when you hit a bump like on an overpass bridge? It has done it a few times. I wouldn’t say it was dangerous, but coming from inexperience it felt weird and want to know If this is normal? If not, what should I have them address before purchasing?

WANDERING assessment:
I can hold it in a straight line on the highway and it does not wander much. Changing lanes it does wander a bit like I have to counter correct to get it back in the lane, but then stays pretty well straight. Would you say this is normal? I think this could also be because I am not used to a 4x4. I am not alarmed by this unless you think I should be lol.

Appreciate your insights on a potential new Jeeper.
Sounds like your steering is an issue. Would be covered under a TSB. The dealership would cover it under warranty or not (kind of like a recall).

The shaking you feel is called "bump steer” . That is normal with a solid front axle but it's probably multipled by the steering issue.
Sponsored