First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Hello all, my name is Gary and I come from Central Florida. I just ordered a 2019 Rubicon Unlimited. Not sure when it will arrive. I expect Jan/Feb

Although I was raised in the "sticks" or "boonies," I never had the privilege of going out mudding or off roading. Mostly due to my mom being afraid that all the "crazy country folk" were going to slaughter her son (we're hispanic). ANYWAY...

This is my first off roading vehicle. My first vehicle was a 2005 Tacoma 2WD that I would occasionally drive around in the dirt roads around the wooded neighborhood. But nothing serious.

Im not going into this completely blind. I have researched. I have watched videos. I have gone through the forums, etc etc etc. Its just the lack of first hand experience. And also I'm not going to jump straight into rock climbing and getting stuck in mud. This is Florida and theres tons of wonderful trails around here.

All that being said...for a first timer...what do you experienced members recommend for me on how/where to start? Even if its basic and Ive already read it, please repeat! Ill give some examples but by all means, expand and add whatever you guys like!

1. Best way to learn all of the 4x4 options
2. Recommended trails for learning
3. Equipment (hi jack, lift, tires, wheels, winch, etc)
4. Do/Dont's
5. Etc etc etc
Sponsored

Last edited:

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Find a local offroading/Jeep club and go out with them. Make sure you find a newbie friendly group (most are) and they will teach you the ropes and show you the best equipment for your area.

First rule of offroading is to never go alone. Too many things can happen that lead to you being stranded, and that can be an expensive tow! Best to learn from people locally who can show you.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What part of central Florida? That’s my stomping grounds.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all, my name is Gary and I come from Central Florida. I just ordered a 2019 Rubicon Unlimited. Not sure when it will arrive. I expect Jan/Feb

Although I was raised in the "sticks" or "boonies," I never had the privilege of going out mudding or off roading. Mostly due to my mom being afraid that all the "crazy country folk" were going to slaughter her son (we're hispanic). ANYWAY...

This is my first off roading vehicle. My first vehicle was a 2005 Tacoma 2WD that I would occasionally drive around in the dirt roads around the wooded neighborhood. But nothing serious.

Im not going into this completely blind. I have researched. I have watched videos. I have gone through the forums, etc etc etc. Its just the lack of first hand experience. And also I'm not going to jump straight into rock climbing and getting stuck in mud. This is Florida and theres tons of wonderful trails around here.

All that being said...for a first timer...what do you experienced members recommend for me on how/where to start? Even if its basic and Ive already ready, please repeat! Ill give some examples but by all means, expand and add whatever you guys like!

1. Best way to learn all of the 4x4 options
2. Recommended trails for learning
3. Equipment (hi jack, lift, tires, wheels, winch, etc)
4. Do/Dont's
5. Etc etc etc
@PhotoGuy i think is in central Florida as well and based on his post in the 2 door thread he has been out on the trails in Florida. Perhaps you can reach out to him and/or other Jeepers in your area. It's always fun to wheel with others :rock:

Sponsored

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
What part of central Florida? That’s my stomping grounds.
Orlando. But having my family back home in Bronson/Williston (outskirts of Gainesville), I travel in between.

I wanna try Ocala National Forest, but need to do a little more research!

Where are you?

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Find a local offroading/Jeep club and go out with them. Make sure you find a newbie friendly group (most are) and they will teach you the ropes and show you the best equipment for your area.

First rule of offroading is to never go alone. Too many things can happen that lead to you being stranded, and that can be an expensive tow! Best to learn from people locally who can show you.
Thanks! I actually found a club here in Orlando that rides out to Ocala national forest. Saw them on a youtube video. I havent reached out yet as this was months ago before I even ordered my Jeep. But I plan to once its in.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Thanks for the link. And thank you, hopefully Ill meet some of you guys come Feb when its finally here.
You will!

The link posted is for local discussions to your state. Any further local discussions can be had in your states thread in the future. Helps keep the forum organized.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
just rememeber unless you out where there is a giant mud field and it is ok to mud. Don't tresspass don't tear up land and tread lightly.. since you are in florida no so much hills ( any?) but look up some jeep fails on you tube. it will open you eyes. never turn around on a side hill.

Sponsored

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tjwallerphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
"Stormie," A Base 2018 Granite Crystal JL Sport 2-door
Occupation
Professional Action Photographer
@PhotoGuy i think is in central Florida as well and based on his post in the 2 door thread he has been out on the trails in Florida. Perhaps you can reach out to him and/or other Jeepers in your area. It's always fun to wheel with others :rock:
For sure! I'd love to get several of us in this area together and do a cool photo shoot! I know a cool place with sugar sand trails. Easy but a lot of fun to drive! I also go down to Dinner Island quite a bit (northern part of the Glades) and do some primitive camping.
I'm in Winter Springs which is close to Oviedo, Sanford, etc. Feel free to send me a PM.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am new too. I have spent most of my time acquiring and organizing a

Recovery kit
Toolkit
Survival kit

All three are in separate bags and easily portable, but all three are well stocked. My first purchase was a hi-lift so I could winch myself out in a pinch. Great advice to not go alone, but also great advice is to not be the guy that gets into a sitch while being completely unprepared.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Tool kit
tire pressure gauge
tire repair kit
Gorilla tape
assorted zip ties
Gloves
shovel
axe
a few recovery straps
Hand come-along
Hi lift jack
portable 12Vdc air compressor
Cheap hair spray for re seating tire off bead (aqua net or anything that says its flammable) I believe OFF bug repellent is also flammable.
GPS for when you're out of cell tower range
Flash light
bug repellent
Tire slime
extra clothes if you happen to get wet
first aid kit
food/water

hi lift winching.png

off road kit1.png

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi Gary,

If you just want to putt around and get your Jeep dirty, the closest spot I’d proabaly Tosahatche wildlife management area in Christmas off of SR 50 heading out towards the beaches. $3 fee to get in, proabaly 10-14 miles of dirt roads to drive on. This is really just dirt roads, but if it’s rained you can get nice and muddy. It’s a great place for a day trip. Bring your lunch and you can kill 3 or 4 hours and see lots of nature.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
For sure! I'd love to get several of us in this area together and do a cool photo shoot! I know a cool place with sugar sand trails. Easy but a lot of fun to drive! I also go down to Dinner Island quite a bit (northern part of the Glades) and do some primitive camping.
I'm in Winter Springs which is close to Oviedo, Sanford, etc. Feel free to send me a PM.
I grew up in Chuluota and went to school in Oviedo, in the sixties and early seventies. Lots of sugar sand and mud, no rocks. If you wanted Hills you climbed a bridge embankment. First in a VW then in a 71 bronco. Never not in a 4WD since then.
Sponsored