Sponsored

Newbie has questions on Recovery Gear

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
How to get unstuck with a tow strap by yourself. Be very careful and go slow. If the strap slides
off on the inside of the tire it can wrap around and damage brake lines.
Sponsored

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for the input so far folks. I am not too worried about brands (I probably shouldnā€™t have even listed the brands). Rather, I am trying to get commentary on the kit itself.......

Any commentary on the kit;
20-foot kenetic rope,
two soft shackles,
and a 20-foot tow rope (also used as a tree hugger, albeit too long for ā€œeasy useā€)

a couple of folks above suggest 20-foot may be too short for a kenetic rope. Thoughts?
Am I missing something for this ā€œbasicā€ kit? Thoughts?

Info on winches and devices for them is great but thatā€™s my next step....... now only looking for direct feedback on the kit mentioned above for ā€œbasicā€ recovery ......
As others have suggested, I would go with a 30ā€™ kinetic. You might also want to add a couple steel shackles in case the other vehicle has loops rather than hooks. I would rather use steel on steel to avoid cutting of soft shackles. A couple quality shackles will set you back around $20, so itā€™s not that much more. I also carry a 3ā€™ static rope that I use as a bridle on vehicles with two tow hooks (like the front of a stock JL) so I can pull straight, rather than offset. I wouldnā€™t consider this purely basic; maybe basic+.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
As others have suggested, I would go with a 30ā€™ kinetic. You might also want to add a couple steel shackles in case the other vehicle has loops rather than hooks. I would rather use steel on steel to avoid cutting of soft shackles. A couple quality shackles will set you back around $20, so itā€™s not that much more. I also carry a 3ā€™ static rope that I use as a bridle on vehicles with two tow hooks (like the front of a stock JL) so I can pull straight, rather than offset. I wouldnā€™t consider this purely basic; maybe basic+.
Just wondering could you use a 10' Tree saver as a bridle in this case?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
How to get unstuck with a tow strap by yourself. Be very careful and go slow. If the strap slides
off on the inside of the tire it can wrap around and damage brake lines.
Thank you for posting this but it looks like a recipe for a newbie to break things

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for posting this but it looks like a recipe for a newbie to break things
Its a last resort option yes, when you can't call someone and or wait for help and prefer not to sit there and stare at your stuck jeep for hours or days.

Any recovery method has some degree of risk. Winch or recovery straps can break, slip off attachment points, Jacks can slip in mud, malfunction or fall over. Assess your options and decide if the risk is worth it or if the option of taking no risk/doing nothing is better.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So, Iā€™m a newb and I have questions on recovery gear.

I need a basic kit while I am waiting/saving on my winch. I am thinking:

bubba rope renegade 20-foot (kenetic) rope plus
A couple of bubba rope soft shackles plus
A bubba rope black op 20-foot tow rope.

ā€˜what do you think of this ā€œkitā€? Am I missing anything?

also, when I do get a winch, would it be possible to use the tow rope as a ā€œtree saverā€ since the tow rope is 3ā€ wide just like a tree saver?

any thoughts would be appreciated.
I carry 2 tree saver straps, a 30 foot strap, a 30 foot rope, a couple crosby shackles and a snatch block. All the soft parts are carried in waterproof compression sacks with some desiccant bags as if your ropes and straps get wet and mildew they will fail prematurely. When you use them if they get wet let them dry fully before putting back in the compression bags. I store them under the rear seat.

Sponsored

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
i Australia we also carry Maxtracs ( generally a pair) for helping getting out of sand an mud .

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 08.54.42.png

CMā›°

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
What size snatch block are yā€™all carrying? I have a 10k winch on the way. Do I need a 20k snatch block? Thanks

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
What size snatch block are yā€™all carrying? I have a 10k winch on the way. Do I need a 20k snatch block? Thanks
My snatch block is a 20K pound.
Sponsored