Sponsored

NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...??

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I moved a few boxes away from the front of the Jeep. Got in my BIG GREEN MAMA and moved the Jeep up about a foot. Put it in reverse. Began a slow move backwards....and VOILA!!!! It easily moved into 4H. UMPFFFFFFFFFFFFF. FISTS IN THE AIR. All 5' 3" of me. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1641489059860.png
Congrats! I thought that’d do it unless something was seriously wrong with the Jeep. Sitting still they’re “tough”, moving not so bad, and it will get easier the more you use it. May I suggest you make a habit of shifting into 4x4 and then back into 2Hi after moving a few feet? You’ll get used to shifting it and it will get easier.
Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
The problem is that I need to shift it while sitting in the garage in order to get OUT of the garage without slippin' and slidin' once I start getting out. There can often be a pile of blown snow up with ice underneath against the garage door.
In the future, I think you can put it into 4L and then drive it into your garage and turn off everything. I think it will still be in 4L when you start the next morning. I’m glad to be corrected if wrong but it works with 4H.

OP
OP
Diggin'

Diggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
In the future, I think you can put it into 4L and then drive it into your garage and turn off everything. I think it will still be in 4L when you start the next morning. I’m glad to be corrected if wrong but it works with 4H.
Thanks. All I need is to keep it in 4H. Works great on that snow and ice. Went out again today, in fact.

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Mine was like that first few times I put it in 4H but nothing like trying to get my 78 CJ out of 4L. That was a trick!

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Does your wife think so too? :P
LOL Actually, Yes! We were both married for roughly 5 years to our previous spouses before that ended. Then we met each other and it’s been awesome since! We both wish we met each other the first time around. Would’ve save us both a lot of stress and money! ☺

Dauron

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019, Nissan Qashqai+2 2012
I would add that there is no need to be afraid of driving (slowly) on the ice and getting stuck.

I have recently tried to drift a bit on a frozen field after my kids have finished ice skating and I was disappointed that the tires had still too much grip in 2H :) I have BF Goodrich KM2 tires (at 25 PSI) which should be terrible on ice but still I had no problems with moving forward (stopping might be sometimes a problem :) )

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
I would add that there is no need to be afraid of driving (slowly) on the ice and getting stuck.

I have recently tried to drift a bit on a frozen field after my kids have finished ice skating and I was disappointed that the tires had still too much grip in 2H :) I have BF Goodrich KM2 tires (at 25 PSI) which should be terrible on ice but still I had no problems with moving forward (stopping might be sometimes a problem :) )
Don't forget to turn off traction control if you are doing this (ask me how I know...)

Sponsored

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
definitely hard to do the first time....i noticed the more i shift it the easier its getting...ill just shift in and out a bunch of times now and then at red lights....its getting much looser

Dauron

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019, Nissan Qashqai+2 2012
Don't forget to turn off traction control if you are doing this (ask me how I know...)
Yeah, I often forgot to do that - this time was also the case :P

Bo Ran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Is it REALLY that hard to shift the lever from 2H to 4H??? I've pulled with every bit of strength I have..and no, I'm not a weakling! I have a slightly used 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. What the hell is the solution?? I've got snow and ice here I need to get through in and out my garage.
I picked up my new 392 yesterday. Had same difficulty. Salesman couldn't shift it either until 3rd try. He suggested slow movement too. That got it.
Sponsored