Sponsored

NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...??

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Grannie is now stuck in her driveway. She got the jeep out of the garage finally, but ran out of gas as soon as it rolled out due to how long it took to switch to 4H. Apparently, half a tank was burned off while idling in the garage fitz'ing with the shifter. :LOL:
Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Grannie is now stuck in her driveway. She got the jeep out of the garage finally, but ran out of gas as soon as it rolled out due to how long it took to switch to 4H. Apparently, half a tank was burned off while idling in the garage fitz'ing with the shifter. :LOL:
Jeep Wrangler JL NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...?? D71AEB55-4528-4A3D-B8BC-BE1E42D8DB49

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
4H is synchronized. The tugging action of the lever synchronizes the gears. Despite what many members are saying here, you can absolutely put it in 4H while completely stationary.
I just tried my 2021 Rubicon with part-time 4WD. It had been sitting stationary in a cold garage for hours, and without starting the engine, it shifted easily from 2H to 4H. I would guess that something is wrong with her Jeep.

Granny: Can you start the Jeep and move it forward or backward while in your garage without going into the snowy driveway? Even if you can move it forward only a foot or two in drive or reverse, then try shifting to 4H. That foot or two vehicle movement might be all you need. If that doesn't work, something is wrong.

Sponsored

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
I moved a few boxes away from the front of the Jeep. Got in my BIG GREEN MAMA and moved the Jeep up about a foot. Put it in reverse. Began a slow move backwards....and VOILA!!!! It easily moved into 4H. UMPFFFFFFFFFFFFF. FISTS IN THE AIR. All 5' 3" of me. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...?? D71AEB55-4528-4A3D-B8BC-BE1E42D8DB49
That's is great! Ignore my earlier post saying to move the Jeep a foot or two. That is exactly what you did and it worked.

Now, got out and have some FUN SNOW WHEELING!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I knew you could do it Diggin, never doubted you for a minute. It would be cool to see some pics of your jeep in the snow though 😎

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just tried my 2021 Rubicon with part-time 4WD. It had been sitting stationary in a cold garage for hours, and without starting the engine, it shifted easily from 2H to 4H. I would guess that something is wrong with her Jeep.

Granny: Can you start the Jeep and move it forward or backward while in your garage without going into the snowy driveway? Even if you can move it forward only a foot or two in drive or reverse, then try shifting to 4H. That foot or two vehicle movement might be all you need. If that doesn't work, something is wrong.
Little late to the game here. Lol

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I see that you did it already, but I find that mine also does not seem particularly interested in going into 4L.
While in 4H, I put the transmission into Park. Then I can easily go to N on the t-case. Then back to drive and 4L goes easy. Otherwise I would need to pull with all my strength.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I see that you did it already, but I find that mine also does not seem particularly interested in going into 4L.
While in 4H, I put the transmission into Park. Then I can easily go to N on the t-case. Then back to drive and 4L goes easy. Otherwise I would need to pull with all my strength.
The owners manual has the proper method for going into 4L. Rolling in neutral and like 2mph, drop it into 4L.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
The owners manual has the proper method for going into 4L. Rolling in neutral and like 2mph, drop it into 4L.
I am aware of that. Does not work for me.
5th wrangler and 9th Jeep.... the JL is the only one so difficult to engage 4L.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I am aware of that. Does not work for me.
5th wrangler and 9th Jeep.... the JL is the only one so difficult to engage 4L.
Odd. Mine was a bit stiff when new but she is golden now. Even though I have 4H auto, I tend to flip into 4H part time when conditions require. It's now a 1 finger motion. 4L is also a lot easier as well after coming in and out of 4H all the time.

Sorry, my original response may have come across as a bit snarky, just wanted grandma to have correct information for when she goes into 4L. ;)

Last edited:

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
For me, 2H to 4H is done gently with the touch of a finger.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
For anyone with a new Jeep, it’s a good idea to go in and out of 4WD every time you start it for a bit. Once broken in, 4WD is very easy to engage.
Sponsored