Sponsored

NEWBIE GRANDMA can't shift AT ALL from 2H to 4H!! What the...??

Diggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Is it REALLY that hard to shift the lever from 2H to 4H??? I've pulled with every bit of strength I have..and no, I'm not a weakling! I have a slightly used 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. What the hell is the solution?? I've got snow and ice here I need to get through in and out my garage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If you have room, try it at about 3 mph. You may have to get as far into the back of the garage as possible and creep forward into the snow.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
As suggested, ensure it's in Neutral (the transmission) and it should go. If it doesn't, do not try to force it as my guess is there's something going on with the linkage. Unless you have a brand new Atlas transfer case (you don't) -- this shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.
Neutral is not needed for 4H.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still don't think you should have to pull back very hard. I've literally not had to do that on a single Jeep I've owned (more than 10) excluding my one with an Atlas tcase, which did loosen up over time. I'm not sure how hard the OP is pulling but yeah. Just strikes me as something's off.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I still don't think you should have to pull back very hard. I've literally not had to do that on a single Jeep I own excluding my one with an Atlas tcase, which did loosen up over time.
4H isn't so bad...but it's pretty stiff at first. My first time pulling into 4LO I seriously thought my week old Jeep was defective. Way better now.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4H isn't so bad...but it's pretty stiff at first. My first time pulling into 4LO I seriously thought my week old Jeep was defective. Way better now.
Yeah I mean it requires more force than shifting the transmission but it still shouldn't be "as hard as I can pull it and it won't move" sort of thing. It's subjective though.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Yeah I mean it requires more force than shifting the transmission but it still shouldn't be "as hard as I can pull it and it won't move" sort of thing. It's subjective though.
As you said, subjective. 4H is more force than transmission, and should be IMO. 4LO wasn't "as hard as I can pull", but it was certainly harder than I expected barring a mechanical issue. It does loosen up.

OP will have a little better luck with the 3mph thing if there is space. Even in 2WD snow and ice shouldn't stop all movement when starting from a garage...

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Mine was really stiff when new and would even pop back to 2h. I just had to work the shifter over and over to break it in a bit. Seems much easier now or I just got used to it.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As you said, subjective. 4H is more force than transmission, and should be IMO. 4LO wasn't "as hard as I can pull", but it was certainly harder than I expected barring a mechanical issue. It does loosen up.

OP will have a little better luck with the 3mph thing if there is space. Even in 2WD snow and ice shouldn't stop all movement when starting from a garage...
Yeah, wonder if it's a cold thing. I live in PHX.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I had the exact same problem at first. I'm still surprised I didn't break it trying to shift it.

I learned how based on all the excellent feedback here. The key was to be rolling ever so slightly.

My suggestion is to go somewhere like a large parking lot where you can practice.

Soon it will be easy for you.

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
Mine is a HARD pull as well into 4H. Iā€™m a 260lb guy with minimal fat, not weak, and I feel like Iā€™m gonna break something as well when shifting. Not a comforting shift feel. This is both while moving very slowly and at almost hiway speeds. 4,000kmā€™s on it and hasnā€™t changed yet and it gets shifted allot since itā€™s been winter here since we bought it. Every drive gets about 6 shifts.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The t-case lever in the JL is very very stiff from the factory. I felt like I was going to break it the first time I shifted, along with pretty much everyone else who has commented about it on this forum.

It always loosens up over time with regular use. Practice shifting from time to time even if youā€™re not off-pavement. You can shift from 2H to 4H, and vice-versa, on the fly, at up to 45mph. It helps to take your foot off the accelerator pedal as you shift, but it isnā€™t necessary. Just ensure to keep the wheels straight the entire time of you do decide to practice on-pavement.
Sponsored