Sponsored

Newbie Considering EcoDiesel order any advise?

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
it is not a 100k bumper to bumper. Just to be clear. If you're radio dies at 75k you're paying for that out of pocket. The engine and emissions are what's covered up to 100k
I thought the emissions was only 2 year 24k
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
And you also get the ZF 8HP75 transmission which is an unmolested version unlike the 850RE behind the gas engines.
Sorry THIS ^ was what I was hoping to get more information on. The transmission differences. I did find the ZF website that says the 850RE is designed to handle 500 lb/ft of torque and the 8HP75 is 750 lb/ft of torque. I'm just curious what they changed in order to achieve that.

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Sorry THIS ^ was what I was hoping to get more information on. The transmission differences. I did find the ZF website that says the 850RE is designed to handle 500 lb/ft of torque and the 8HP75 is 750 lb/ft of torque. I'm just curious what they changed in order to achieve that.
The 850RE is based upon the 8HP50.

It looks like they're (8HP50 vs 8HP75) the same generation and generally the same design.

I'd imagine that the 8HP75 is simply a beefier version of the 8HP50. Gearset teeth, ratios, etc. are the same across the two designs. There's a bit of commentary in this article which appears to allude that the design is otherwise identical (with on just being beefier): https://www.car-engineer.com/second-generation-zf-8-speed-automatic-transmission/

It is worth noting that the 8HP75 in the diesel is built by ZF. The 850RE is built by FCA on license from ZF. Some people have preference for the "true" ZF transmissions, but I personally don't see a big reason to care. Even if FCA builds the 850RE, its fundamentally the same design as the 8HP50.

Either way, you're going to get (IMO) the best automatic transmission design in the world.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
The 850RE is based upon the 8HP50.

It looks like they're (8HP50 vs 8HP75) the same generation and generally the same design.

I'd imagine that the 8HP75 is simply a beefier version of the 8HP50. Gearset teeth, ratios, etc. are the same across the two designs. There's a bit of commentary in this article which appears to allude that the design is otherwise identical (with on just being beefier): https://www.car-engineer.com/second-generation-zf-8-speed-automatic-transmission/

It is worth noting that the 8HP75 in the diesel is built by ZF. The 850RE is built by FCA on license from ZF. Some people have preference for the "true" ZF transmissions, but I personally don't see a big reason to care. Even if FCA builds the 850RE, its fundamentally the same design as the 8HP50.

Either way, you're going to get (IMO) the best automatic transmission design in the world.
Thank you very much!

Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I thought the emissions was only 2 year 24k
The Diesel Wrangler falls under the CA Emissions Warranty here in VT which means some parts are 3/50k some are 7/70k and some are 8/80k. Warranty is for any cars registered in CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLURD,‘02 F-250 7.3, ‘15 Prius, Had 13 JK
Here’s a picture that I’ve posted before. If you like power, torque and range, go test drive the diesel after driving the other engine optioned Jeeps. You’ll especially like it if you’ve had previous diesel ownership. Everything has pluses and minuses, choose what you like when you drive them.

367B6D2B-0046-4274-B769-2F43A955FDA8.jpeg

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLURD,‘02 F-250 7.3, ‘15 Prius, Had 13 JK
Racer X, an addendum, if your previously mentioned Excursion had the 7.3 L diesel in it and you loved it, I still have my 2002 F250 with that same engine and I’ve had thoughts of being buried in it, I like it that much. We’ve had our JLUR diesel for 6 months now and enjoy it very much, if the reliability and dependability get close to the F-250, I have some inklings that what I want to be buried in might be changing.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Did not read other posts yet. Wanted my answer to be un-influenced: SO many good things about the JLURD. One of the positively wonderful things about the trans is that you can shift into "MANUAL mode" and control your speed as if you had a manual trans. I used this extensively on the trails in Colorado and also use it during my daily driving. I suspect this winter it will also come in handy. This is my 1st auto trans in decades and NO REGRETS! I suspect the other posts have covered all the other good parts about the Diesel. Also, do not believe the hype from JP about DEF usage - way over-estimated.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
You’ve got the torque rating wrong. The 8HP50 is rated for 500Nm (368lb/ft) and the 8HP75 is rated for 750Nm (553lb/ft).

Sponsored

Bartholomew

First Name
Bartholomew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hello all. I've been poking around the web for a while looking at new Wranglers. This will be an extra vehicle. What we know we want... Unlimited High Altitude with SOT. Jeep will not go off road and will be used around town and on the occasional highway trip. Ive been going round and round with possibly getting the V6, 4t, diesel and 4xe. I used to own an Excursion diesel back 20 years ago and really liked it. I am considering the diesel for its seemingly better mileage and of course the added torque. Are there any short comings for this EcoDiesel? I would have to order the Jeep to my spec as no local dealer ever seem to stock the Diesel. There are 4xe's around though.
Any input is welcome!!
If you are going to have more start/stop driving or bumper to bumper highway drive than open roads, cut the diesel out of the mix right now. They have more lower end torque, but they are designed to drive long distances.

The T4 is a newer engine. They haven't been around long enough to know how they will last over the long haul.

The V6 is a hoss and will last you.

4XE seems great if you have short trips. The electrical power will not last more than a couple miles of off-roading (which you said is not an issue). When the engine cuts over from electric to gas, it is not smooth (my experience). Two power options means twice as many things that can go wrong. Does your area have a lot of free charging stations? Does your state have good rebates for buying an electric vehicle? Those things can greatly offset the cost of the higher upfront fee. What does your insurance offer for the three different engine types?

When I bought my V6 my decision came down to too much start and stop driving, the T4 being too new, and I didn't like the engine cutover feel of the 4XE.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Keep in mind that, happy owners don't tend to start threads to crow about their vehicle's reliability. For the record, I've had zero problems in my first year of ownership. [I've also had exceptional reliability from my LG washer/dryer and my Samsung TV, but I haven't posted about them either]. I suspect the vocal minority is being totally truthful about their issues, but don't let that paint your entire opinion about the EcoDiesel.

I bought the first year (2012) of the Pentastar and, at that time, long-time Jeep owners were very vocal with their sky-is-falling warning about the new V6: new, unproven Italian. I was encouraged to stick with my existing minivan-engined JK. Glad I ignored that advice.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
If you are going to have more start/stop driving or bumper to bumper highway drive than open roads, cut the diesel out of the mix right now. They have more lower end torque, but they are designed to drive long distances.
Ever seen a local FEDEX or UPS delivery truck? I wonder if those are diesel? Do they predominantly drive those end point delivery vehicles at highway speed or do they typically run them under say 40 mph? If they do use diesels that are designed for long distances, they probably just don't understand that they are using the wrong type of vehicle. :angel:

Bartholomew

First Name
Bartholomew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ever seen a local FEDEX or UPS delivery truck? I wonder if those are diesel? Do they predominantly drive those end point delivery vehicles at highway speed or do they typically run them under say 40 mph? If they do use diesels that are designed for long distances, they probably just don't understand that they are using the wrong type of vehicle. :angel:
You aware that they have switched a large section of their fleets away from diesel to gas, hybrid, natural gas, and propane engines due to diesel emissions issues and the cost to service those engines?

So if you are wondering if those delivery trucks are diesel, there is a chance that they are, but they are probably going to be cycled out of service.

Is a service delivery fleet really what you wanted to use as an example though? Vehicles you can hear knocking a block before you can see it?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
You aware that they have switched a large section of their fleets away from diesel to gas, hybrid, natural gas, and propane engines due to diesel emissions issues and the cost to service those engines?

So if you are wondering if those delivery trucks are diesel, there is a chance that they are, but they are probably going to be cycled out of service.

Is a service delivery fleet really what you wanted to use as an example though? Vehicles you can hear knocking a block before you can see it?
if they switch away from diesel it won't be because "diesels are meant to be driven longer distances." It would be because their bottom line shows it will save them money. Of course it will be a contrived situation where they'll be incentivized to 'make the right choice'.

As to the examples, they are numerous. But any of them can be argued against. Most people probably think an all electric bus fleet would be a boon to every city in the world.

As an aside, the push against diesels has nothing to do with the environment. It is mainly about control. The world controllers want everyone to live in mega cities. Where movement can be more tightly monitored and metered. Dare I say disallowed?

And as a future proof that it is a politician agenda, I guarantee for 50+ years after they achieve their goals of locking everyone down, they would still ship goods across the oceans using the same giant diesel engines they do now. It's a sick joke.
Sponsored