Sponsored

Newbie Considering EcoDiesel order any advise?

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Dont buy one. Buy the 3.6. Me and a bunch of people on this forum and others have had an oil leak at or around our oil change. My Jeep has been in the dealer for months. Its great when you have it but this is a potentially unreliable engine. If I could go back I would get the 392 or V6.
Sponsored

Come2elmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chev 2500 HD, 16 Chevy Burb
Dont buy one. Buy the 3.6. Me and a bunch of people on this forum and others have had an oil leak at or around our oil change. My Jeep has been in the dealer for months. Its great when you have it but this is a potentially unreliable engine. If I could go back I would get the 392 or V6.
I ordered one playing the odds the folks who don’t have problems are keeping quiet. But when things go wrong they do seem to take while to fix. Not sure if that is a diesel issue or dealer service department problem. I looked at the 4xe but I drive long distances and if I am going to have carry around an extra 500 lbs those lbs ought to be working. Time will tell I suppose.

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler Sport Alt (on order)
I really wanted the diesel as well. I liked the sound, the torque made the test drive really fun.

After much deliberation, I decided it was not worth it for me my driving habits were not conducive to what the Diesel engine needed to work optimally with regen cycles to burn off all the particulate in the emissions system.

All the emissions crap in it is a really expensive ticking time bomb, I think there is a thread here with that subject that discusses it in depth.

I agree with sargerubi, get the 3.6.

But it is your money. Do with it what you want.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Hello all. I've been poking around the web for a while looking at new Wranglers. This will be an extra vehicle. What we know we want... Unlimited High Altitude with SOT. Jeep will not go off road and will be used around town and on the occasional highway trip. Ive been going round and round with possibly getting the V6, 4t, diesel and 4xe. I used to own an Excursion diesel back 20 years ago and really liked it. I am considering the diesel for its seemingly better mileage and of course the added torque. Are there any short comings for this EcoDiesel? I would have to order the Jeep to my spec as no local dealer ever seem to stock the Diesel. There are 4xe's around though.
Any input is welcome!!
I don’t think the diesel is what you expect it to be. It’s not anything like your old diesel.

I had a 2020 3.6 auto Rubicon and now a 2021 2.0 Turbo Rubicon. By far I can say the Turbo is more fun to drive and can be driven harder then the 3.6 yet with better MPG (achieves the same or better MPG being driven as hard as the 3.6 did driven miserly).

I didn’t want to believe possible when I owned my 2020 3.6 (and earlier 2013 3.6) but I now believe the 2.0T the best all around motor option. For what you stated your use would be it might be just the ticket.

The only real down side to the 2.0 is it sounds like a 4 cylinder. The 3.6 sounds much better.

My .02

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
A 3.0L Wrangler will be way more fun than your old 7.3L Excursion (pardon me if that comes across as sacrilegious), but it's true. I think we are finally about to break 8000 miles on my wife's 2020 that we got in April of '20. We/she primarily drives it in town (big no no for some). Haven't had a single issue.

I've ranted and raved about this thing, I have a few quibbles and gripes, but overall, I just damn love it! The 8 speed Auto and this little 3.0L flat out get it. You will be amazed!!!

My diesel addiction
2005 5.9L Cummins powered Ram
2007.5L Chevy Duramax
2020 3.0L Wrangler
2020 6.7L Ford Powerstroke

This Wrangler diesel is a mighty fine specimen. The torque, the sound, the range, it's all there. Aside from it running hot as heck, which alarms dang near everyone who have been around diesels, this thing was put together fairly well.

If you are a guy that likes diesels, I wouldn't even bother with anything else. The diesel is what you want, just get one. If it somehow doesn't pan out send it down the road and get into something else. Trust me though, you won't want anything else....

EDIT:
The sky one touch top is amazing. I won't act like it's the same as taking the top and doors completely off, but it's way faster and about 55-65% of the feel. Mainly it's just the doors I miss having off. But we have small children so we'd be years and years away from going completely naked. SOT is a game changer.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yup, that's a big variable that everyone needs to factor in. I know in Texas it's pretty easy to get on electricity plans that include free nights and weekends, meaning plugging the 4xe in for an overnight charge wouldn't impact the cost at all. We also average 10 cents / kWh in Texas. Some states double that for average cost / kWh.
California apparently averages 18.31/kWh. So if you're charging up the 4xe from empty to full every night, you're looking at $51/month in Texas vs $93/month in California. Then factor in a free nights and weekend electric plan... now we're basically talking about an $85-90/month difference state to state to charge a single vehicle.
https://storage.googleapis.com/titl...ted-states-worst-electricty-costs-3_75per.png

Noting the difference in the electricity costs I've listed above, and factoring in driving habits, this is a massively over simplified blanket statement in my opinion. Towing, tires, weight, driving style/condition, etc etc.
Once we return to the office, my daily commute will be 34 miles each way. My wife on the other hand commutes 10 miles. Even with the charging stations at my office, I would still require about 14 miles of gas driving each way with the 4xe. My wife on the other hand, might require 0-5 miles of gas driving per day. The formula will be highly dependent on where you live, and how you drive. For example:

*This is using my actual current electric prices and today's gas prices at my local gas station. Also assuming stock vehicles and not towing.

ED at 25mpg (mixed). Diesel cost today at $2.86/gal
4xe at 20 miles electric = $1.70/day to charge + I4 at 19mpg using suggested premium fuel at $3.70. We'll do this will regular fuel just for fun too, at $2.90.

My work commute = 68 miles round trip
ED daily cost for my commute
68 miles = 2.72 gal = $7.78/day

4xe daily cost for my commute (premium)
40 miles electric (charging at the office) = $3.40
28 miles = 1.47 gal = $5.45
= total $8.85/day

4xe daily cost for my commute (regular)
40 miles electric (charging at the office) = $3.40
28 miles = 1.47 gal = $4.26
= total $7.66/day

If I can't charge at the office
20 miles electric = $1.70
48 miles = 2.52 gal = $7.32 (reg) $9.32 (premium)
= total $9.02/day (reg) or $11.02 (premium)

*V6 eTourqe just for fun (regular at 21mpg)
68 miles = 3.24 gal = $9.40/day

For my daily uses, the 4xe only comes close to the diesel assuming I can charge at the office garage for the same rate I pay at home. If all the plugs are full or out of service, then the 4xe gets significantly more expensive to drive.

My wife's work commute = 20 miles round trip
ED daily cost for her commute
20 miles = 0.80 gal = $2.29/day

4xe daily cost for her commute (premium)
1 mile = 0.05 gal = $0.18
= total $1.88/day

4xe daily cost for her commute (regular)
28 miles = 0.05 gal = $0.14
= total $1.84/day

*V6 eTourqe just for fun (regular at 21mpg)
20 miles = 1.05 gal = $3.05/day

For her uses, we'd only be looking at a $12.30/month difference between the ED and the 4xe on premium, in favor of the 4xe.
For my uses, we're looking at a constantly variable formula. If the charging stations at the office were down for a month, we'd be looking at a potential difference of $37.20/month in favor of the ED.

But you still need to factor in potential tax rebates, normal service, etc etc etc. It's messy, complicated, and changes based on use and location. Everyone should be doing this math for themselves and their own situation. But the OP, the 4xe sounds like the right fit.
Yep true and I think you can slice the watermelon any way you want, but the bottom line is the national average is $0.13/kWh of electricity. The 4xe gets 15 miles on a bad day, 20 on a good day, let's call it 17 miles average on a charge. The battery pack is a 17 kW pack. That is 1 kWh per mile. Or, $0.13 per mile.

A diesel averages $0.13 per mile. It's literally a wash.

So there are a lot of people who think if they aren't burning gas or diesel, they're saving money, and that's just not the case. Energy isn't free.

Diesels can have expensive failures. But the battery pack and motors on a 4xe isn't going to be cheap when that needs replaced either. And you still have to change oil, filters, and fluids on both periodically.

Too many variables to get into, but the best thing to do is keep it simple and look at cost per mile....and it's identical between the two.

Last edited:

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yep true and I think you can slice the watermelon any way you want, but the bottom line is the national average is $0.13/kWh of electricity. The 4xe gets 15 miles on a bad day, 20 on a good day, let's call it 17 miles average on a charge. The battery pack is a 17 kW pack. That is 1 kWh per mile. Or, $0.13 per mile.

A diesel averages $0.13 per mile. It's literally a wash.

So there are a lot of people who think if they aren't burning gas or diesel, they're saving money, and that's just not the case. Energy isn't free.

Diesels can have expensive failures. But the battery pack and wiring on a 4xe isn't going to be cheap when that needs replaced either. And you still have to change oil, filters, and fluids on both periodically.

Too many variables to get into, but the best thing to do is keep it simple and look at cost per mile....and it's identical between the two.
On vast averages, sure they are identical. I agree with that. But I think individual uses cases can highlight a reason for one over the other. I'd done that math previously for my personal consideration, and I saw that in some cases it wasn't as close. But at the end of the day, it's kind of all small beans when we're talking about $40K- $60K+ purchases, so it really doesn't matter too much. If we all really wanted to be practical we'd get something like a Corollas.

At the end of the day it is a luxury purchase to get a brand new Jeep. This convo is a good reminder that when we're talking luxury, the math really shouldn't weigh in as heavily. Get the powertrain that you connect with.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I will also mention that there are two other benefits to the diesel that often get overlooked. You get a 100,000 mile warranty. And you also get the ZF 8HP75 transmission which is an unmolested version unlike the 850RE behind the gas engines. The HP75 is stronger and shifts better.

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I will also mention that there are two other benefits to the diesel that often get overlooked. You get a 100,000 mile warranty. And you also get the ZF 8HP75 transmission which is an unmolested version unlike the 850RE behind the gas engines. The HP75 is stronger and shifts better.
That's a good point. Jeep doesn't do a great job of advertising so many things on their various lines. It's never made sense to me. Maybe with real competition that'll change over time.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
These conversations always make me wonder if a six-speed Willys really isn’t the way to go. Jeep prices increase crazy fast once you start adding options.

OP
OP
Racer X

Racer X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aspiring Jeep owner
Thanks everyone for your input.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Is there anywhere you can point me to read more about this?

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
it is not a 100k bumper to bumper. Just to be clear. If you're radio dies at 75k you're paying for that out of pocket. The engine and emissions are what's covered up to 100k
Sponsored

Last edited: