Sponsored

Newbie considering 4xe.. help me decide.

Racer X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aspiring Jeep owner
Hello all. I've been poking around the web for a while looking at new Wranglers. This will be an extra vehicle. What we know we want... Unlimited High Altitude with SOT. Jeep will not go off road and will be used around town and on the occasional highway trip. Ive been going round and round with possibly getting the V6, 4t, diesel and 4xe. The Jeep will not have a permanent spot in the garage. Which of course creates an issue for charging a 4xe. Ive been reading the fuel efficiency in hybrid mode is actually worse than a regular 4T due to the added weight. I also know the 4xe is more powerful than all but the v8 which sounds good. There is strong possibility we will have this Jeep for 5+ years. I am also concerned on the complexity of the 4xe drivline long term.
Any input is welcome!!
Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
What are you going to use this extra vehicle for? How often?

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
I ordered a 4xE, that was before the most recent price increase. Prior to that it was a no brainer for me, as it was actually cheaper than the other options with the tax incentive.
I also only have a six mile daily commute to work so I can go full electric commuting every day.
In my situation the 4xE made the most sense. There are many situations where that will not be the case.

RNLROCK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4XE Sahara
I have the Sahara Unlimited 4xe for two months now and have put 2800 miles on Big Green. This is my second Wrangler. My first was a '12 Sahara 2 door.

I am loving the 4xe for around town and am getting over 26 mpg mixed local and highway. But that can differ from owner to owner because of the charging factor/frequency and use. If you are doing less than 22 miles/day, then it's very efficient. The electric mode is very smooth, especially around town.

I opted for swapping out the 275/55/20 Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas for the Continental TerrainContact AT 275/60/20. The tires are leaps and bounds better, especially on the highway and in the rain.

Just one thing to remember if you do get the 4xe. Check the tire pressure right after delivery. Some dealers (including mine) overinflated the tires to 41psi cold. That was more than unpleasant, especially at highway speeds as the tires heat up. We felt like we were hydroplaning at 70mph.

IMG_1232.jpg

OP
OP
Racer X

Racer X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aspiring Jeep owner
What are you going to use this extra vehicle for? How often?
In all honesty it will mainly be driven by my wife during the week. She really just runs errands and takes my kids to sports. I can see weekend use with the roof open cruising around. Probably will see 8-10K miles a year. We will have other cars as well including a minivan. So as I mentioned, its and extra vehicle.

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
In all honesty it will mainly be driven by my wife during the week. She really just runs errands and takes my kids to sports. I can see weekend use with the roof open cruising around. Probably will see 8-10K miles a year. We will have other cars as well including a minivan. So as I mentioned, its and extra vehicle.
OK in that case Id get the 4Xe and figure out a wsy to charge it daily. Either in the garage or run a cord to it outside as I have seen others do in my hood. I work form home and 90% of my trips are less than 20 miles. I could own and drive the 4Xe for months and never put gas in it. But I dont have small kids and I dont want a four door at all. But if I was in you sit, Id have ordered the 4Xe. Good luck.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
You can charge your vehicle outside. Just need a charging cable that extends as far as you need and I would recommend a Level 2 charger to reduce chare times. We have a Pacifica Hybrid and a 4XE Rubicon and log about 8-10K miles per year (on average) for both vehicles. PHEV is awesome. We fill up about every 1000 miles on the 4xe and 1500 miles on the Pacifica, and sometimes even longer.

If you do lots of short sub 30 mile trips, the 4XE is perfect. We are averaging 39.9mpg since the last gas fillup which was 800 miles ago.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Hello all. I've been poking around the web for a while looking at new Wranglers. This will be an extra vehicle. What we know we want... Unlimited High Altitude with SOT. Jeep will not go off road and will be used around town and on the occasional highway trip. Ive been going round and round with possibly getting the V6, 4t, diesel and 4xe. The Jeep will not have a permanent spot in the garage. Which of course creates an issue for charging a 4xe. Ive been reading the fuel efficiency in hybrid mode is actually worse than a regular 4T due to the added weight. I also know the 4xe is more powerful than all but the v8 which sounds good. There is strong possibility we will have this Jeep for 5+ years. I am also concerned on the complexity of the 4xe drivline long term.
Any input is welcome!!
I was thinking similar things before I got the 4xe.

Couple things:
You can charge outside. My charger is in the garage near the door so I leave the cord out and charge in the drive way.

As far as power I feel it's a bit deceiving on the 4xe. It's a hybrid but not a true hybrid that mixes both engines like other cars. Instead it's more of one or the other.
So in hybrid it starts off as electric which means you are only getting like 200 hp. Then if you are driving in esave you only get the 2.0 which is like 200 hp. So like 75% of the time you are driving you are driving around in a 200 HP and 200 torque brick.

It's only when you are in electric and then floor it that both battery and engine are running at the same time and you get the 400+ hp. On top of that there is a chart out there that shows you only get the max HP and torque when at a certain rpm. So you could be using both but still only getting 300 HP. I know I spoke in general terms but there are exact numbers and data that supports what I'm saying. That's really the only thing I don't like and makes me wish I went with diesel.

With that said, I do love the 4xe for electric. 90% of my driving is just around town so I charge it everyday and as a result have basically only put gas in once in two months, and that was only due to family trips where I had to take the freeways

And the reality is when am I truly going to need 400+ HP and torque in a daily drive so I'm good with knowing it's there in the rare situation I need it

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I was thinking similar things before I got the 4xe.

Couple things:
You can charge outside. My charger is in the garage near the door so I leave the cord out and charge in the drive way.

As far as power I feel it's a bit deceiving on the 4xe. It's a hybrid but not a true hybrid that mixes both engines like other cars. Instead it's more of one or the other.
So in hybrid it starts off as electric which means you are only getting like 200 hp. Then if you are driving in esave you only get the 2.0 which is like 200 hp. So like 75% of the time you are driving you are driving around in a 200 HP and 200 torque brick.

It's only when you are in electric and then floor it that both battery and engine are running at the same time and you get the 400+ hp. On top of that there is a chart out there that shows you only get the max HP and torque when at a certain rpm. So you could be using both but still only getting 300 HP. I know I spoke in general terms but there are exact numbers and data that supports what I'm saying. That's really the only thing I don't like and makes me wish I went with diesel.

With that said, I do love the 4xe for electric. 90% of my driving is just around town so I charge it everyday and as a result have basically only put gas in once in two months, and that was only due to family trips where I had to take the freeways

And the reality is when am I truly going to need 400+ HP and torque in a daily drive so I'm good with knowing it's there in the rare situation I need it
Hey there LJ_3M121318, you made a few incorrect statements above which I feel need to be corrected.
First off, the 4xe is always a hybrid. You can select eSave which generally preserves most of the battery (or charge it, if you're driving slowly and willing to take the mileage hit), electric which generally uses the battery before turning on the engine, or hybrid which tries to optimize mileage while maintaining performance. In all of these modes, you can bury the accelerator to access the full power of both motors and the engine. Selecting different drive modes just shifts the conditions under which the Jeep uses one power source or the other (or both).

Next is that the motors and engine produce a max 375HP and 470LbFt of torque. The situation is complicated by have the different power sourced produce peak power at different engine speeds. From memory, the P1 motor makes 40HP, the gas engine makes 275HP, and the P2 motor makes 140HP, but the true peak is 350 due to the speeds at which each generates its max.

I make many short trips during the week which makes the limited electric range pay off. With daily charging you can see mileage benefits from the electric charging system up to ~80miles/day.

@Racer X, you should look at the many faq's and articles posted on this powertrain before making your choice. It's not the right choice for everyone, but it can be most people.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
+1 to most of what Gazelle said.

also be aware that power is limited in lower gears when the transfer case is in 2H.

in 4A you dont have this same limitation.

one other point, the P1 motor mentioned in not included in any HP or torque numbers as it is not connected to to the driveline. You have to remember that the 2.0l n the 4xe is the same 2.0l e-torque from the 2018 - 2020 wranglers. (Just slightly detuned torque as it produces 270HP and only 295 ft lbs torque in the 4xe) The p1 motor is just a replacement for the alternator & starter.

the main electric motor is a replacement for the torque converter. This motor generates 134 HP and 181 ft lbs torque.

another thing to remember is when you are thinking about how the jeep performs in hybrid and electric modes, when it defaults to battery first, the torque is instantaneous.

Just my random thoughts….

cheers.

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO
Yeah, the outdoor charging thing is something many of us are dealing with and it's not really a problem. I am having my Level 2 charger installed hopefully in the coming couple of weeks and it will be installed outside and on the side of our house.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
and @Racer X , it probably goes without saying (but I’ll say it anyway!): If you are purchasing and not leasing, make sure you have at least $7,500 of tax liability in the year you take delivery, so you can capture the full tax credit. Without the full credit, you might be better off financially with a non-hybrid.

If you are leasing, your personal tax liability is irrelevant assuming the dealer applies the $7,500 as a cap cost reduction.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
Why are you all installing lvl2 chargers? The battery pack isn't that big, you leave it plugged in overnight and it'll be charged by the morning.
IIRC, if you're plugged into a Lvl 2 charger the 4XE will run off it when you remote start to heat/cool the cabin instead of drawing off the bat/gas.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Why are you all installing lvl2 chargers? The battery pack isn't that big, you leave it plugged in overnight and it'll be charged by the morning.
What if someone uses most or all of that battery in the morning and still wants to drive on electric later that day? Maybe the extended time it takes to charge exceeds the cheaper power rates available over night in some areas? Maybe people have multiple electric or plugin hybrids?

The convenience of a faster charge is a good option to have.
Sponsored