Sponsored

Newb Question - Is there really a significant Price difference on the Trims?

xerogravsix

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 High Altitude 4xe
Hi, long time lurker, just made an account.

I'm looking at getting either an Overland Gladiator or an Unlimited Rubicon, and I'm a little confused....

Can you just get a Sport S and then buy the parts after purchase as you go, like, leather trim for the dash, upgraded seats etc?

Or is it truly just cheaper in the long run to go with Factory installs?

Has anyone ever done a package comparison to figure out if there's a way to "hack" a custom build?
Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, long time lurker, just made an account.

I'm looking at getting either an Overland Gladiator or an Unlimited Rubicon, and I'm a little confused....

Can you just get a Sport S and then buy the parts after purchase as you go, like, leather trim for the dash, upgraded seats etc?

Or is it truly just cheaper in the long run to go with Factory installs?

Has anyone ever done a package comparison to figure out if there's a way to "hack" a custom build?
It is rarely ever less costly to piece something together afterwards, unless maybe you can source used ( take off) parts. A good example is Rubicon suspension and wheels/tires. Dirt cheap. But the rest, all the electronics and axels , transfer case. All different And likely harder to find used and expensive to buy new.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
There are ways to get what you want cheaper than the factory upgrades. I wasn’t about to spend $1100 on LED lights so I bought $40 LED bulbs for my headlights. And I’m gonna spend 100 bucks on blacked out LED tail lights. I didn’t wanna pay $700 for the tow package so I have $150 into a hitch and wiring that I installed myself. I wasn’t going to spend 500 bucks for remote start so I bought an aftermarket one for 150 and installed it myself. So you have to research exactly what you want and then price out a factory equipped one versus going aftermarket if you’re able to install it yourself. If you have to pay someone else to install the remote start or the hitch or whatever it might wind up costing the same as factory options.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Depends on the options you are considering. Like stated, you might be able to do the lighting cheaper or adding towing accessories. Other things though are going to more expensive especially if you are going to need to pay someone install costs. Looking at a rubicon, the axels, lockers, and gears are going to be very expensive to have done afterwards if that is something you think you want or need.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
There are ways to get what you want cheaper than the factory upgrades. I wasn’t about to spend $1100 on LED lights so I bought $40 LED bulbs for my headlights. And I’m gonna spend 100 bucks on blacked out LED tail lights. I didn’t wanna pay $700 for the tow package so I have $150 into a hitch and wiring that I installed myself. I wasn’t going to spend 500 bucks for remote start so I bought an aftermarket one for 150 and installed it myself. So you have to research exactly what you want and then price out a factory equipped one versus going aftermarket if you’re able to install it yourself. If you have to pay someone else to install the remote start or the hitch or whatever it might wind up costing the same as factory options.
Yes. You are right. I installed Oracle LED head and tail lights myself. No bad. Steel front bumper and soft top too. Both used and angreat deal. But the trailer hitch wiring spooked me so I paid to have it installed. Same price as factory option. Same with heated seats I had installed. I bought my Rubicon used though and so those items were not on it. If I had ordered new I would have probably got factory.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
...is it truly just cheaper in the long run to go with Factory installs?
Kinda depends on what you mean by "cheaper". I'm old, so "cheaper" to me, personally, isn't just money, it's also time and hassle. When I was young and single, I'd spend entire weekends with the cars, but when you're older and you're lucky enough (remembering there are two kinds of luck) to have an old lady asking to share your time, the cost of things and activities isn't just money, anymore.

I've modified every car I've owned, and it's getting to be more and more of a hassle the more complicated and integrated the vehicles get, especially when the electronics are so tightly coupled to everything. Just a simple example, here's 10 pages of forum talk just to replace halogen headlights with factory OEM LEDs: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oem-led-headlights.23078/

Something simple like changing wheels and tires ended up costing me hundreds of dollars more, because I needed to adjust the location of the rear tire so that my bumper sensors would work properly. Yeah, I chose a more expensive option, a Teraflex HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit, but I wanted future flexibility.

IMHO, if you're just gonna upgrade to highly functional (not cosmetic) Factory Options, get them from the factory. If you don't mind spending more time and money than you'd think, in the garage, under the hood, etc. or you're gonna upgrade to non-OEM aftermarket, get the Sport S.
Sponsored