agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
**Updates in bold so people don't have to read all the comments**

I recently purchased a JLU Sport after going a decade since owning my first Jeep TJ in college. During college I found every chance I could to get muddy or go down any “not-a-road” I could find, but I never fully immersed myself into off-roading.

Now I am looking to get into some mild”ish” off-reading in the woods across the Midwest, going a handful of times each year (career+kids=limited time). I just joined a local Jeep club and plan to attend a Jeeping 101 full-day course they are putting on in April.

Below is the list I have put together so far for my “starter kit” to keep in the Jeep for all off-roading trips. Any clarifications, removals, or additions you seasoned Jeepers recommend?

Must Haves:
  • Recovery/Snatch Strap (and a Tow strap?)
  • Tree Saver
  • Snatch Block
  • 2 Soft Shackles + 2 Steel Shcakles
  • Lug Wrench
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • First Aid Kid
  • Flashlight
  • Basic Tool Kit
  • Tire Pressure Gauge
  • Battery Jump Starter / Jumper Cables
  • Paper Towels
  • Toilet Paper
Also below are my current thoughts on the build out for my first mods. Any and all feedback is welcome to relieve me of my ignorance.

First Mods: (Jeep is a daily commuter >70 miles a day - so I do not plan on any lift or bigger tires just yet)
  • CB Radio (mounted)
    • I already own the radio from the old Jeep, just need to get a mounting bracket and new antenna that I plan to put on the back spare-tire bracket.
  • Steel Bumper (I like the look of the mopar but dang it is expensive comparatively)
    • Winch (no idea yet of the specifics)
    • Grille/Winch Guard Hoop (nothing too big)
    • 2 Aux LED Lights (simple circle led lights)
  • Air Compressor (mounted?)
    • Air Down Tool

Additional Optional Equipment:

• Blinker/Headlight Fluid
  • Muffler Bearings
  • Left-Handed Monkey Wrench
  • Elbow Grease
  • Skyhook (for only the most extreme recoveries)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I recently purchased a JLU Sport after going a decade since owning my first Jeep TJ in college. During college I found every chance I could to get muddy or go down any “not-a-road” I could find, but I never fully immersed myself into off-roading.

Now I am looking to get into some mild”ish” off-reading in the woods across the Midwest, going a handful of times each year (career+kids=limited time). I just joined a local Jeep club and plan to attend a Jeeping 101 full-day course they are putting on in April.

Below is the list I have put together so far for my “starter kit” to keep in the Jeep for all off-roading trips. Any clarifications, removals, or additions you seasoned Jeepers recommend?

Must Haves:
  • Tow Strap
  • Lug Wrench
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • First Aid Kid
  • Basic Tool Kit
  • Tire Pressure Gauge
  • Paper Towels
Also below are my current thoughts on the build out for my first mods. Any and all feedback is welcome to relieve me of my ignorance.

First Mods: (Jeep is a daily commuter >70 miles a day - so I do not plan on any lift or bigger tires just yet)
  • CB Radio (mounted)
    • I already own the radio from the old Jeep, just need to get a mounting bracket and new antenna that I plan to put on the back spare-tire bracket.
  • Steel Bumper (I like the look of the mopar but dang it is expensive comparatively)
    • Winch (no idea yet of the specifics)
    • Grille/Winch Guard Hoop (nothing too big)
    • 2 Aux LED Lights (simple circle led lights)
  • Air Compressor (mounted?)
I prefer to use a bottle jack rather than the scissor jack that comes with the vehicle. My recovery kit includes, tow strap, Kinetic snatch line, a couple soft shackles, a tree strap and a couple of steel shackles.

Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Non technical add to the must haves....toilet paper.

Recovery strap instead of a tow strap...I’ll admit that for the longest time I thought they were the same thing but they are designed differently and while a recovery strap will double as a tow strap in a pinch (non kinetic type), I wouldn’t advise the other way around.
Since you’ve listed compressor I’ll add some sort of device to air down with too - there are many to choose from.

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Very helpful, although in my ignorance I am finding myself googling a lot of these names.....bottle jack.....tree saver....snatch block?!?

I thought at least one of these was going to be made up and you were sending me on an errand to get headlight fluid :LOL:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Very helpful, although in my ignorance I am finding myself googling a lot of these names.....bottle jack.....tree saver....snatch block?!?

I thought at least one of these was going to be made up and you were sending me on an errand to get headlight fluid :LOL:
Of course you mean *blinker* fluid (and it's usually in the same aisle as the prop wash). ;)

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase

I have been ordering recovery parts for the past few weeks, when I started this venture I found it a little overwhelming until I found this forum and a lot of the folks put me on the correct path. The easy part was the winch because I got a great deal at the local 4X shop that included installation and the hardest decision was picking the air compressor. Good luck on your new exciting adventures....

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Add a tree saver, snatch strap, and snatch block to your kit

edit: I see two out of three of these have been covered :like:

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Battery connection, not bad, I blew a fuse to my cigarette lighter adapter using my lame little compressor (before I got a powertank)
Would love a power tank. But this works for me. I wheel at home here in the desert. Mostly dirt and rocks. 22 psi is the sweet spot for me. So this little compressor works great.
Sponsored