New Wrangler - idling high in neutral?

Rockin Robyn

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
Hey all, Jeep first time Wrangler owner here! We picked up the new baby in mid October (2021 6 speed manual Unlimited Sahara), and it’s only got about 800 km on it at this point. Aside from just getting used to driving it after owning zippy 5 speed sedans for the last 20 years, so far so good aside from one thing I’ve noticed. It stays inside the garage overnight and when not in use, and in the past couple of weeks or so since it’s started to get colder, It seems to be acting a bit strange for the first couple of minutes. It doesn’t idle high on start up as the garage is probably about 10-12 degrees warmer than the outside temperate, but after backing out of the driveway, driving down the street and coming to the first stop sign, it revs and stays at about 2000 rpms when I put it into neutral and let off the gas. It seems to let up once you clutch again and start moving, but this has been happening on and off to both my husband and and always after it’s been sitting for a period of time. I haven’t noticed it doing this any other time, just on that first drive down the street.

Anyone else had this issue? Could it be temperature related, or should I be letting the engine warm up longer? Just curious whether this is something I should be bringing up to the dealership or if it’s no big deal. I haven’t had this issue with any of my past manuals, and I didn’t notice it until very recently, as the temperatures have dropped.
Sponsored

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Hey all, Jeep first time Wrangler owner here! We picked up the new baby in mid October (2021 6 speed manual Unlimited Sahara), and it’s only got about 800 km on it at this point. Aside from just getting used to driving it after owning zippy 5 speed sedans for the last 20 years, so far so good aside from one thing I’ve noticed. It stays inside the garage overnight and when not in use, and in the past couple of weeks or so since it’s started to get colder, It seems to be acting a bit strange for the first couple of minutes. It doesn’t idle high on start up as the garage is probably about 10-12 degrees warmer than the outside temperate, but after backing out of the driveway, driving down the street and coming to the first stop sign, it revs and stays at about 2000 rpms when I put it into neutral and let off the gas. It seems to let up once you clutch again and start moving, but this has been happening on and off to both my husband and and always after it’s been sitting for a period of time. I haven’t noticed it doing this any other time, just on that first drive down the street.

Anyone else had this issue? Could it be temperature related, or should I be letting the engine warm up longer? Just curious whether this is something I should be bringing up to the dealership or if it’s no big deal. I haven’t had this issue with any of my past manuals, and I didn’t notice it until very recently, as the temperatures have dropped.
When cold I let mine idle a few minutes till the revs drop to normal before heading out see if that changes anything if not you may have reason to talk with the dealer but probably not.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual

I think the Wrangler tends to run in idle bit longer than other cars Ive driven but as soon as I shift into the gear the rpm drops nicely to a very low humming

OP
OP
Rockin Robyn

Rockin Robyn

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
Thanks for the feedback - sounds like it's probably not anything to worry about too much at this point. I'll keep an eye on it and try letting it warm up a little longer.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Thanks for the feedback - sounds like it's probably not anything to worry about too much at this point. I'll keep an eye on it and try letting it warm up a little longer.
This is typical of many models -makes... colder temps usually are detected by sensors and adjust initial idle speed . Once passing certain temp. thresh hold ( different engines different temps) the idle goes down. Some cars idle speed are still affected by extreme temps even after full warmup. It's not much but one can sometimes tell the difference.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
There is a setting, rev assist, buried deep down somewhere in apps. Turn this off and try things.

Mine idled high at low rpms with this on, especially on inclines.

Enjoy that stick!

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I've noticed the same on a few occasions where it would rev itself up when I put it in neutral and coasted to a stop sign. Sometimes it hung at higher RPM even when fully stopped, but I notice it does this more if I an coasting in neutral. And it only does this when the engine is still cold. I only noticed the behavoir once the outside temps started dropping - I don't recall this when it was like 70*F out. One thing that I thought is that they are trying to heat up the cat converter quicker (which is the main reason cars have a long high idle when cold). I've only got just over 1K miles on mine though, so I'll have to see if there is more of a pattern of when it happens.

OP
OP
Rockin Robyn

Rockin Robyn

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
There is a setting, rev assist, buried deep down somewhere in apps. Turn this off and try things.

Mine idled high at low rpms with this on, especially on inclines.

Enjoy that stick!
Thanks! I’ll look into that and see how that works.

OP
OP
Rockin Robyn

Rockin Robyn

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
I've noticed the same on a few occasions where it would rev itself up when I put it in neutral and coasted to a stop sign. Sometimes it hung at higher RPM even when fully stopped, but I notice it does this more if I an coasting in neutral. And it only does this when the engine is still cold. I only noticed the behavoir once the outside temps started dropping - I don't recall this when it was like 70*F out. One thing that I thought is that they are trying to heat up the cat converter quicker (which is the main reason cars have a long high idle when cold). I've only got just over 1K miles on mine though, so I'll have to see if there is more of a pattern of when it happens.
Sounds pretty much the same thing I’m experiencing - it will be interesting to see what happens as the temps drop even lower!
Sponsored