New wrangler custom order mileage and other concerns

Msawires

First Name
Minas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
Hello guys! First time wrangler owner here and very excited! I recently custom ordered the Sahara 2021 4xe and it arrived at the dealership. Due to it being too far, i have decided to get the car shipped from the dealership to me (coast to coast). The car will be at the dealership for a couple of weeks before i can get it, but i wanted to see what to expect when the car finally arrives.

Should the car have any existing miles on it? Does it come from the factory with some miles already on it for testing or anything like that? I just want to make sure the car wasn't used for test rides

Is it strange to ask the dealership for a thorough video walk through/photos of the car before it is shipped? I am worried it would arrive with chips from before shipping, and it would easily be blamed on shipping

Is there anything else i should consider or worry about if i am gonna get the car shipped without seeing it first that i should be looking out for? Thank you all for your help, and looking to learn more about this awesome car and community in the upcoming weeks, months and years!
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Most cars come from the factory with a little mileage. It’s usually testing mileage to make sure everything is working as it should. When I got mine, it had 17 miles on it. As for the video, I think it’s kinda pointless. You’re likely not going to be able to see any small chips or imperfections. Pictures are probably best, just to confirm there’s no dings or anything missing when you receive it. The shipping company also likely has a guarantee or insurance that is used if there’s an issue. Cars are shipped all the time, so I wouldn’t worry too much. :like:

CJTJJK-JLNOW

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR ^2
I believe I had under 8 miles on both our custom orders.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Should the car have any existing miles on it? Does it come from the factory with some miles already on it for testing or anything like that?
Yes. The vehicle will have sone mileage on it. How much can vary from vehicle to vehicle. The vehicle has to be driven off the assembly line and the onto transport. Once it makes its way to the dealer, it has to be driven off the transport and possibly to and from the dealer storage lot. It will then have to be driven back onto the transport you are using.

OP
OP

Msawires

First Name
Minas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
Most cars come from the factory with a little mileage. It’s usually testing mileage to make sure everything is working as it should. When I got mine, it had 17 miles on it. As for the video, I think it’s kinda pointless. You’re likely not going to be able to see any small chips or imperfections. Pictures are probably best, just to confirm there’s no dings or anything missing when you receive it. The shipping company also likely has a guarantee or insurance that is used if there’s an issue. Cars are shipped all the time, so I wouldn’t worry too much. :like:
Awesome, thanks alot Hunter- this was super helpful!

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Anything under 100 delivery miles is considered normal and most won’t have near that. Warranty starts from the mileage at delivery not from 0 so you aren’t getting short changed.

OP
OP

Msawires

First Name
Minas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
Anything under 100 delivery miles is considered normal and most won’t have near that. Warranty starts from the mileage at delivery not from 0 so you aren’t getting short changed.
Oh that's pretty cool re: warranty. Didnt know that, thanks TXRubicon!

Nohair989

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I picked up my factory order yesterday and it had 11 miles on it. My previous Jeep was a lot purchase and only had 17 miles on it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The lowest miles I have ever had on a new cars was 4 miles. That was for a car that was shipped from Japan. My last JLR had 11 miles on it.

All new cars will have some miles on them. It does not matter which brand or make. Usually less than 20 from my experience. Depending on brand and where a vehicle was made. The miles can come from driving them from truck to ship back on to truck on loading docks. Or truck to rail and back on to truck. Basically any kind of staging for transport. Miles are commonly put on during testing for QC. Another source for miles is pre-delivery inspections and gassing up.

Gwagwv

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, 21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Lowest miles for me was 3 miles on a 2012 Wrangler S. Fresh off the truck.

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
My wrangler had 5 miles at delivery. The lowest mileage cars I have seen were 2 different rental cars with 2 miles on them.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
After working at a dealership (GM) for 35 years I would say that most of our vehicles arrived at the dealership off the transport truck with somewhere around 1.5/3.0 miles on them. The mileage was acquired from leaving the assembly line at the plant to being driven from the plant lots to transport trucks, or driven on train rail cars. As we all know you can test drive just about any vehicle on a dealers lot and driving 5 miles is not uncommon, some even drive father. Also keep this in mind, many dealership make ready department require the tech who services the new vehicle for delivery to drive the vehicle, so require them to be driven as much as 10 miles. I personally wouldn't want to buy a new vehicle and have it shipped, one the cost of shipping and two road damage could occur (rock damage, tire damage, etc.). I guess I'm too picky and if I see something wrong at delivery I might refuse to take it.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You could always fly out there for a day to inspect the vehicle for yourself and sign paperwork for delivery. The dealership would probably be willing to handle transport to and from the airport. It's a very long day, but you can potentially do it for under $500. Not a terrible price for peace of mind.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My JLUR had 3 miles on it when I went to pick it up.

OP
OP

Msawires

First Name
Minas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
After working at a dealership (GM) for 35 years I would say that most of our vehicles arrived at the dealership off the transport truck with somewhere around 1.5/3.0 miles on them. The mileage was acquired from leaving the assembly line at the plant to being driven from the plant lots to transport trucks, or driven on train rail cars. As we all know you can test drive just about any vehicle on a dealers lot and driving 5 miles is not uncommon, some even drive father. Also keep this in mind, many dealership make ready department require the tech who services the new vehicle for delivery to drive the vehicle, so require them to be driven as much as 10 miles. I personally wouldn't want to buy a new vehicle and have it shipped, one the cost of shipping and two road damage could occur (rock damage, tire damage, etc.). I guess I'm too picky and if I see something wrong at delivery I might refuse to take it.
Thanks John, that's makes a lot of sense. I have been debating the whole shipping thing. I just dont want to add 2200 miles from the get go on the car. In the grand scheme of things i guess it is not terrible. I might consider at least going to inspect the vehicle like someone recommended and go from there. A lot can go/be wrong with a car to take it without seeing it
Sponsored