First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Mine's not broken yet but it will be at some point. I have both safety groups, like them, and want them recalibrated properly. I am financially indifferent because I have zero deductible windshield replacement. Where will I get the best recalibration? Does the dealer even install windshields, or do they subcontract with Safelite anyway - causing the concern to go full circle?

Just planning for the inevitability.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I just did safelite and it was $700 for them to replace my oem (jeep windshield, but not gorilla glass) in my driveway.

in my opinion, safelite is a safe but expensive option. You’re paying for convenience and nationwide network. They also offer a lifetime warranty should it ever start leaking or whistling. The tech was professional and did a great job. Even saved my toll transponder. But to my knowledge, they don’t offer gorilla glass.

my next one (if/when I need it) I’m going to look into glass America. Someone in a Facebook group said they did a gorilla glass install for about $900.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Mine's not broken yet but it will be at some point. I have both safety groups, like them, and want them recalibrated properly. I am financially indifferent because I have zero deductible windshield replacement. Where will I get the best recalibration? Does the dealer even install windshields, or do they subcontract with Safelite anyway - causing the concern to go full circle?

Just planning for the inevitability.
The algorithms for the Advanced Safety Group are most likely the same between the dealer and Safelite. Depending on area, the dealer may subcontract glass out to Safelite.

Like you, I also have the zero deductible for glass. I guess if I were in a windshield replacement situation, I'd go for Gorilla Glass. I'm unsure whether Safelite offers that option, but the dealer certainly would.

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
Good chance Safelight does it for the dealer anyway. I've only done a couple replacement windshields over my decades of driving (never a Wrangler though), and the dealers have always contracted that out

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I've always arranged for Safelight to do mine @ the dealership...Just incase they screw something up a BMW tech is on scene to help...My dealer is pretty customer friendly with goodwill. I'm sure they would help.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've always arranged for Safelight to do mine @ the dealership...Just incase they screw something up a BMW tech is on scene to help...My dealer is pretty customer friendly with goodwill. I'm sure they would help.
Off topic: My son drives an M2C. He loves it. In the 70s I owned its inspiration - the 2002tii.

Last edited:

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
I had mine with ACC replaced in July by Safelite. Over $900 for OEM glass including recalibration. Made an appointment on Safelite website, put insurance info, and paid deductible ($250) after everything is done. I had to drop the Jeep off at their location due to recalibration, they said, but they paid for Uber round trip. Done in two hours. The seal looked better than factory, and received certificate of recalibration via email.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had mine with ACC replaced in July by Safelite. Over $900 for OEM glass including recalibration. Made an appointment on Safelite website, put insurance info, and paid deductible ($250) after everything is done. I had to drop the Jeep off at their location due to recalibration, they said, but they paid for Uber round trip. Done in two hours. The seal looked better than factory, and received certificate of recalibration via email.
This is a reassuring post. Thanks.

Reactions: G13

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rickinAZ

I'm very pro Safelite Auto Glass....

No way would I have a dealer have someone (their Tech or outside vendor /installer) install a Windshield on my JL..... one of my vehicles at the dealership.... in the parking lot, etc..

BUT... but.... I recommend that you bring the vehicle to a Safelite store and have them do the install in their garage.... I do not have a Safelite installed in my driveway, etc... No Way....

I want the install done where the Tech has help and other installers to assist if needed... I want in house calibration unit availability....I want a Manager there to oversee / scrutinize and that I can deal with before and after install.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Safelite can repair a windshield crack as long as it is 6" or less. Keep that in mind before automatically thinking that it needs to be replaced. In our case, they repaired a smaller star crack and our insurance covered 100% of the cost.

Deleted member 59498

I got mine replaced for 50 bucks through insurance (safelite). I guess I saved a bunch on insurance considering what people paid here. Rocks and hitting windshield here are a given. Generally get replaced every year in spring. Get broken in winter. But the 70 bucks every 6 months in having low deductible works out to my advantage! 700 for a windshield? That is about my 6 month full coverage.

Deleted member 59498

I have used Speedy also and they are just as good as Safelite.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I went to a mom and pop shop when my JKs windshield broke in 2020. Replaced it with gorilla glass for $500 including install. It’s amazing how clear glass is when it’s new. Felt like I was driving without a windshield. I think the mom and pop shops are still hurting from covid, so if you are looking for a good deal I would get a quote from them first.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
You guys that have had Safelight/auto insurance pay for the replacement, did you end up with an OEM windshield? I have only used our glass replacement policy on the wife's old 2012 optima and they used aftermarket glass. I would much prefer an OEM windshield, mainly because that is what is currently on. Got a nice star right in my eye line this July 4th, literally with no windshield the rock would have drilled me between the eyes, then on the ride to CO last week I got another near the A pillar on the driver side.

Honestly I'm pretty pissed at these cracks considering I have clearplex windshield protection film on it. And of course Targe Industries, who sell the film, are completely useless in regards to the warranty offered on the product. Haven't heard back from them since I contacted them over 2 months ago now...
Sponsored