new windshield: dealer or Safelite?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I dont have the adaptive cruise control, I had to replace my MOPAR windshield about a month after I got the Jeep. I purposely got an aftermarket one from safelite and haven't had to get another replacement. The MOPAR one got a rock chip that quickly spread across the whole windshield. The aftermarket one has a rock chip in it for about a year now. no Issues.
Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
You guys that have had Safelight/auto insurance pay for the replacement, did you end up with an OEM windshield? I have only used our glass replacement policy on the wife's old 2012 optima and they used aftermarket glass. I would much prefer an OEM windshield, mainly because that is what is currently on. Got a nice star right in my eye line this July 4th, literally with no windshield the rock would have drilled me between the eyes, then on the ride to CO last week I got another near the A pillar on the driver side.

Honestly I'm pretty pissed at these cracks considering I have clearplex windshield protection film on it. And of course Targe Industries, who sell the film, are completely useless in regards to the warranty offered on the product. Haven't heard back from them since I contacted them over 2 months ago now...
I pay an extra $3-4 a month for a zero dollar deductible on glass replacement. When I had Safelite replace my windshield a couple of months ago they replaced it with Mopar oem glass without even asking. The extra few $$ I pay a month is totally worth it considering the rock magnet the Jeep is.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I have Chubb auto insurance, and several years ago I had a discussion with my insurance agent about deductible limits. As it turns out, for something like only $12 per year I could have zero deductible glass coverage. Absolute no-brainer to add that, so I did.

So, when I joined the cracked windshield club this Summer on the way to the beach, I arranged in advance to have Safelite come to my house after my return, since my JLU was scheduled for State Inspection two days later.

Chubb is one of the companies that will pay for and prefers OEM parts. Before the technician removed the replacement windshield from his truck, I verified that it was FCA glass, acoustic glass at that. Thus it had the jeep in the right hand corner near the dash. When making the appointment there was initially some concern about availability of OEM glass due to COVID's supply chain effects, but obviously they came through.

I am happy with the results. And Zero out of pocket except for the tip I gave the technician.

BTW, I do not have Adaptive Cruise Control or Brake assist, they weren't available yet when I bought my JLUR. So I cannot attest to Safelite's ability to re-configure those systems.

I did ask my agent about upgrading to Gorilla glass, and she said there would be no coverage for that, since it wasn't on my build list for my VIN. Plus it wasn't available at time of manufacture.

I recommend all Wrangler owners (really everyone else, too) find out the cost of zero-deductible glass coverage. You may be surprised!

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Probably subcontracts out but how can you know?

called my dealership for gorilla glass. They told me the name of shop that they subcontract out to, and that i shud go to them directly. So i called that shop and they told me only the dealership does it.. weird.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Honestly, I hate Safellite and use Penske. They replaced 3 windshields in my 2019 and each time it was replaced with OEM factory glass.
Sponsored