New winch question

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just installed my winch and i noticed it does not have an off button. It’s wired up but there’s not off switch so it’s always on. My question is will it drain the battery even though I’m not using it over time?
Also putting tension on the rope. Should i spool one layer of the rope first before putting tension on it to spoil the rest?
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
The power as it were is the winch controller, so it only uses power when it's spinning the motor. There will be people chiming into this thread saying you should buy a switch for it, well you don't need one must winches are installed without one but if it gives the end user piece of mind and they are cheap to install them go nuts.

As for spoiling, yes get a nice single wrap on the drum, then spool the rest on under tension. If you can find a slight hill that you can pull yourself safely up that's perfect. I use my driveway and a fence post with the Jeep in neutral. As you spool the rope make sure that you are wrapping the rope evenly on the drum else you can bunch up the rope to one side and damage things

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I don't know which winch you have so the wiring may be different. I have a Warn that is wired to have dual controls.
I have a switch in the Jeep that breaks the ground of the winch that prevents someone from walking up, plugging a controller and running my winch.
I have left this switch on for long periods of time by accident and not had any drain problems.
If your controller acts like mine, it breaks the circuit when unplugged and should not allow a draw.

Andy
Sponsored