First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
With my lift on I noticed the rubbing a bit on the rear suspension either on full compression/articulation or full droop.

If I move the wheel & tire out a bit (.50 - 1.0 inches) then it should not rub.

I like the MOAB OEM wheel and am not a big fan of spacers, but I see I can get hub centric spacers with the right bolt pattern.

I can also get new wheels with a different offset vs. the 44.45mm measurement of the OEM wheel. However, I don't want to push the wheel & tire out too far. I do have the XR flare extensions sitting in the shop and am looking for the right plastic rivets so I can install them.

So what would you do? New wheels or add spacers?
Sponsored

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
Since you have a Willys I would probably go with the Quadratec Morphic wheels and set of Rubicon flares instead of the XR extensions.

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
@zw470 Thanks for the suggestion and the link!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might PM @DadJokes he has a source for 1" spacers if you want to keep your wheels. I'm not a big fan of spacers but 1" out isn't too bad (vs. the 1.5 to 1.75" spacers) and I think most recommend loctite, so that's probably a good idea when running these thick spacers.

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Might PM @DadJokes he has a source for 1" spacers if you want to keep your wheels. I'm not a big fan of spacers but 1" out isn't too bad (vs. the 1.5 to 1.75" spacers) and I think most recommend loctite, so that's probably a good idea when running these thick spacers.
I don't need much more space to clear the issue. Looks like 1" is more than enough and I don't want to push the wheels out much further than that.

Thanks for the input!

Sponsored

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
I would do spacers. If the torque specs for the spacers nuts are 90 ft. lbs, use locktite and torque them to 100. Every time you rotate your tires you can check the torque of the spacer nuts at 90 without breaking the locktite.

KevinC

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
What are you rubbing?

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
I don't need much more space to clear the issue. Looks like 1" is more than enough and I don't want to push the wheels out much further than that.

Thanks for the input!
The reason Synergy and Spidertrax went from 1.5" on the JK Wranglers up to 1.75" spacers for the JLs was the length of the lugs. If you go too short, (1" or so) you'll likely have to cut the lugs down which I wouldnt want to do personally.

Als@Ohio

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97, 15, 18 Wranglers
Factory wheels have a hollow spot that allows the little bit of stud that shows from the spacer, let the wheel to sit flat. Aftermarket wheels are completely flat where the studs/hub sits (no hollow area)

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
The reason Synergy and Spidertrax went from 1.5" on the JK Wranglers up to 1.75" spacers for the JLs was the length of the lugs. If you go too short, (1" or so) you'll likely have to cut the lugs down which I wouldnt want to do personally.
This is a non-issue if you use the stock wheels, since they have a recess on the inner side between the lug holes that accomodate the protruding lugs. I ran 1 inch spacers on my JL wheels. The only oem JL wheels that won't take a 1 inch spacer, are the Rubicon upgrade wheels, because the inner recess is not as deep. So I had to get 1.25'' spacers to run these.

Since then, I decided to order proper offset wheels.