Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
This is what I like about the Jeep Rubicon, drive it from Michigan to California, do the Rubicon Trail and drive it home. While being comfortable during 16 hour days in the Jeep. The other great thing about the Jeep, (wranglers in general and specifically the Rubicon model) is they retain their value. If you do a quick search you will find Rubicons that are over 6 years old and have 100,000+ miles on them and they still resell at or around $30,000. At time a slightly used ones are selling for more than a well negotiated new Rubicon.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
One more thing, if you do run into a problem out on the trail, you are way more likely to run into another Jeeper, that may be able to help you vs, what is the chance of you running into another Bronco owner.

Have you seen Ford's answer to mounting a winch on the Bronco.........

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Also new to Jeep world. Been 3 months since I purchased a slightly used 2020 Rubicon 2 door. Lots of info on this thread and tons of people that have great wealth of knowledge. If you buy a Jeep know that the bug will bite you. Prepare yourself and spouse for the fun of modifications. JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!
Good luck!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing, if you do run into a problem out on the trail, you are way more likely to run into another Jeeper, that may be able to help you vs, what is the chance of you running into another Bronco owner.

Have you seen Ford's answer to mounting a winch on the Bronco.........
.......and their factory grill guard that's not only a fraction of an inch away from the grill itself, but also blocks the word bronco across the front.

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I personally would NOT buy a first year model of any production car. It will get better as the years go on. (Bronco)

If you buy a Rubicon you will not by sorry. It has great resale value and will go just about anywhere. Right now you can get a discount on Rubicons if you look around. (Something that hasn’t happened for a while)

I looked for a used Jeep and thought the prices were crazy so I bought one Brand new. I love it! I bought a Recon. It has the nicer interior and is a nice discounted package.

I drove 950 miles last weekend going to the Winter 4x4 Jamboree. Spent 4 days in 4 low. When I got home I had gotten over 20 mpg.

There are still a few out there with deep discounts.

Good luck!

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I personally would NOT buy a first year model of any production car. It will get better as the years go on. (Bronco)

If you buy a Rubicon you will not by sorry. It has great resale value and will go just about anywhere. Right now you can get a discount on Rubicons if you look around. (Something that hasn’t happened for a while)

I looked for a used Jeep and thought the prices were crazy so I bought one Brand new. I love it! I bought a Recon. It has the nicer interior and is a nice discounted package.

I drove 950 miles last weekend going to the Winter 4x4 Jamboree. Spent 4 days in 4 low. When I got home I had gotten over 20 mpg.

There are still a few out there with deep discounts.

Good luck!
I was going to buy used, and then when I found out that a five year old Rubicon with 60,000 miles on it was only $6,000 less than a new one with a warranty..... I thought to myself, Its a no brainer, order a new one. So that's what I did.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
In terms of necessities for modifications etc for what you describe, there's no need to change a thing. I've done cross country road trips (JLUR) with the wife, 2 kids, and a dog, and all I "needed" for that was a Thule cargo box on top with a roof rack (I chose the Rhino Rack backbone system). So for on road trips with the family, it's good as is. The JL's are insanely luxurious these days compared to older models.
Stupid question... do I have to have a backbone rooftop system to run a Thule cargo box or would Thule gutter mounted rails be sufficient?

QED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Stupid question... do I have to have a backbone rooftop system to run a Thule cargo box or would Thule gutter mounted rails be sufficient?
The backbone isn't needed to run the Thule. I've seen others post on here using the gutter mounts. I get paranoid about hanging anything off the fiberglass, though, so with the backbone I'm less worried if fully loaded on the highway with heavy crosswinds.
Sponsored