Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New to these forums, thank you for the amazing content.

I searched a little to see if there was a welcome guide or helpful information to new users. I have owned a Grand Cherokee Overland for some time mostly for a luxury daily driver and have been interested in doing a bit more. I have reserved a new Bronco Wildtrak but as I keep reading the more I am interested in a Rubicon. I am not looking for an amazing crawler but family oriented (wife and dogs) overland trips, off the grid with the ability to get through sticky situations and recovery.

Are there any helpful thoughts or content that I can review to help me on my journey towards a JL, questions I may need to know or ask, pitfalls or concerns with this line of Jeep, or stuff I just don't know about to make an educated decision?

Perhaps the necessities on gear, tools, modifications or ad-ons so I know what to expect before heading out?
Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Oh boy. This will be a good one!

Following?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I realize this is a loaded question so please limit the trolling.
I don’t troll.

The new Bronco is becoming an increasingly sensitive subject on the board. The coming posts will be entertaining.

OP
OP
tehkayd

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t troll.

The new Bronco is becoming an increasingly sensitive subject on the board. The coming posts will be entertaining.
Thanks for clarification. I do want to hear the trolls on the Bronco line and why I should or should not get one, but more interested in why Jeep lovers love their vehicles and how do I enter my way into this world the correct way.

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks for clarification. I do want to hear the trolls on the Bronco line and why I should or should not get one, but more interested in why Jeep lovers love their vehicles and how do I enter my way into this world the correct way.
Man I’m personally planning on having both. I’m a Ford AND Jeep fan, I truly look forward to it.

In my opinion if you want ultimate off road capability for some of the toughest trails in existence, get a Jeep.

JlDieseltoy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Well just to let you know I had a wildtrak reservation that I canceled as Ford plays the games and the problems on the come back Bronco I went over to the Jeep dealership and walked out with the 2021 eco diesel rubicon and am happy that I gave up on the Bronco

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Here is my 2 cents.
Jeep is the original off road vehicle and the Rubicon is the best Jeep at off roading. I’m sure the Bronco will be awesome too. I’m actually looking forward to some competition. The aftermarket has embraced the Wrangler like no other, you can truly make it a one of a kind. The Jeep community is awesome too. Most jeepers wave, how great is that. There are all kinds of clubs, Jeep specific and others welcome you. It doesn’t matter if you are in a loaded out Rubi or square headlight YJ, the respect is still there. It will take Bronco years to build that kind of following if it makes it there. The FJ didn’t. Jeep isn’t just a vehicle, it’s a lifestyle.

Sponsored

QED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
New to these forums, thank you for the amazing content.

I searched a little to see if there was a welcome guide or helpful information to new users. I have owned a Grand Cherokee Overland for some time mostly for a luxury daily driver and have been interested in doing a bit more. I have reserved a new Bronco Wildtrak but as I keep reading the more I am interested in a Rubicon. I am not looking for an amazing crawler but family oriented (wife and dogs) overland trips, off the grid with the ability to get through sticky situations and recovery.

Are there any helpful thoughts or content that I can review to help me on my journey towards a JL, questions I may need to know or ask, pitfalls or concerns with this line of Jeep, or stuff I just don't know about to make an educated decision?

Perhaps the necessities on gear, tools, modifications or ad-ons so I know what to expect before heading out?
In terms of necessities for modifications etc for what you describe, there's no need to change a thing. I've done cross country road trips (JLUR) with the wife, 2 kids, and a dog, and all I "needed" for that was a Thule cargo box on top with a roof rack (I chose the Rhino Rack backbone system). So for on road trips with the family, it's good as is. The JL's are insanely luxurious these days compared to older models.

For off-road, it's a Rubicon... It's already all set to go for that and more capable stock than most other vehicles with tons of purpose built modifications. If you *want* to modify, then the options are endless. Start with recovery gear and first aid kits and take it off-road a bit before deciding if you want more.

I'm sure the Bronco will be great, but the JL's already have a huge aftermarket support base. It will take vendors a while to catch up for the Bronco.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
i also had a bronco reserved, thinking i was certain i was going to be getting one. Then i drove a rubicon, realized how much better of a deal i could get, the aftermarket support is awesome, it won't have those first model year headaches like the bronco will (especially considering how poor their launch is going), and i loved the character of the rubi/manual trans combo. We'd be ordering the bronco sight unseen, and its going to be way more expensive than the rubi is going to be.
Needless to say, ordering the Rubi felt like a no brainer to me. Cant wait for it to arrive!

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The answers to all these questions can be found on the forum, it's just really hard to know what to ask and where to search. As a relatively new owner (2019) myself, here's a few high level starting points based on what I know.
- The JL models have a variety of manufacturing ailments (steering, ESS issues, various electronic freeze ups, etc.). They seem to be really random and are over-represented on this Board but you should absolutely search out the repeat offenders here and make sure the Jeep you buy does not have the same problems (at least not off the lot, hard to say what may happen later).
- If you do go with the Jeep, based on your description of what you want to do, the Rubicon is the safest bet in terms of model selection. It's ready to do everything you want off the dealer's lot.
- As others have pointed out, the Jeep is the ultimate customization vehicle. As you change what you want to do, the Jeep is right there with you.
- In terms of specific advice for over landing, tools, hardware, software, this place is awesome. Folks are always ready to help out and the forums are set up so you can find most of what you need with little effort.

Good luck!