Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just got back in from applying the 40.1 update.

The first thing I did was remove my wireless CarPlay adapter from the armrest/center console USB port. I then unmarried my Tazer, performed a full reboot and then 2 full sleep cycles.

I fully started the vehicle and inserted my USB stick into the front USB A port. The upgrade prompt appeared, I accepted and the 2 minute countdown began. Once that completed the radio rebooted and the upgrade began. The countdown started at 35:00 minutes, but it did not actually take that long to reach 100%. It was about 25 minutes for me. Once it 100%, the radio rebooted and I got the pop-up that said no update available showing the installed version and the update version on the USB stick.

At that point, I noticed the radio was installing items in the background. See pics. I sat for another 10 minutes as this went on and to be sure everything completed. I pulled the USB stick and proceeded to go through settings, etc. Everything appeared to be normal and looks just like it did before the update.

I need to go back out and remarry my Tazer and apply all settings, but need to get back to work for now.

@Rhinebeck01 when you have a moment, can you please post some screenshots of what you are seeing for new themes, etc.? To me, this update doesn't appear to have added/changed anything.

Jeep Wrangler JL New update for 8.4  Uconnect radio 1685709941580
Jeep Wrangler JL New update for 8.4  Uconnect radio 1685709973670
Sponsored

Floriduramax3.0

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrngler Rubicon Unlimited 3.0td
  • I inserted the USB stick
  • Turned the ignition to ACC (at no point did I start the engine)
  • Accepted the upgrade prompt
  • It counted down from 2 minutes
  • Within 3 minutes, the progress bar moved to 10%
  • I turned the ignition off and went to bed
  • Next morning, I turned the ignition to ACC and the system stated that no update was available (it read the USB stick and compared versions)
  • I removed the USB stick
  • I cranked it and went to work
  • All apps were installed and available with no issues.
I wonder if having the engine running caused the delays?
Same here. In fact, on the bottom of the update screen it said engine should be off and trans in park or park brake set....

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

In fact, on the bottom of the update screen it said engine should be off and trans in park or park brake set....
It said vehicle should not be driven with vehicle in park and/or parking brake off.

It did not say vehicle should not be running/off.

My update ran without issues with the vehicle running the entire time.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Same here. In fact, on the bottom of the update screen it said engine should be off and trans in park or park brake set....
My son and I just did three consecutive firmware updates on his Mazda last week. Those instructions also said ACC mode, but had the caveat that battery should be on a charger. I think that makes good sense. Also said to set a timer and press brakes every 20 minutes to prevent ACC from timing out.

In reality, I suspect updating with the engine running is just fine. They probably just want to avoid techs needlessly running engines for 40 minutes.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Would you recommend that I unmarry my Tazer before doing this update?
I did not unmarry my Tazer JL when updating from 39.7 to 40.1. No issues with the update process or after.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I did not unmarry my Tazer JL when updating from 39.7 to 40.1. No issues with the update process or after.
I did not want to take a chance because I use my Tazer to turn off Travel Link and enable Off Road Pages. I didn't know if the Tazer settings would interfere with anything during the update.

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If anyone is interested in updating to 40.1 via USB, the update files are located via the link below. Credit goes to ramforum.com for providing this link. I installed this update coming from 39.6 and had no issues whatsoever. I can't confirm how well the process works on older versions, nor do I know what changes or fixes this update provides.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zgGXa10oazujs27hsdDFBIgwzM6eRqA6

To install this update, unzip the file and drop the VP4R_Update folder onto the root of a FAT32-formatted USB stick. Plug it into your Jeep, fire it up in either ACC or RUN, accept the update when you get the prompt, then let her rip. A timer suggests a 30-minute install time, but it usually takes only 20.
Thanks for posting. Did this over lunch. Haven't had a chance to play around yet, and some of the apps are still populating but it appears everything went well.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The update will add a bunch of apps you may have not had before, and if they weren't available previously, they'll eventually disappear. I had Market and a couple others show up briefly, then they vanished a few drives later.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if having the engine running caused the delays?
For whatever reason, after I set to ACC, inserted the USB stick, gave the ok..... it just sat there and no movement for over 40 mins.. Only then did I opt to start the engine..
Who knows why it's different for everyone. I'd argue that, like most software, UConnect is probably held together by nightmarishly bad code and isn't optimized or unified in any logical way.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Who knows why it's different for everyone. I'd argue that, like most software, UConnect is probably held together by nightmarishly bad code and isn't optimized or unified in any logical way.
Agree, though my JLUR does not have a Tazer or any other "programmers" connected so perhaps that is a factor in some cases. It could also be the number of N-x versions you are behind that plays a role.

Then again...it could just be the FCA Wizard at play:

Jeep Wrangler JL New update for 8.4  Uconnect radio Wizard

Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Do ORP load any faster with this?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The update will add a bunch of apps you may have not had before, and if they weren't available previously, they'll eventually disappear
There was a bunch of stuff installed. I just posted these 2 to give an example. However, what you say makes sense about items disappearing. It installed Off Road Pages, but it will not show until I enable it with my Tazer.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Do ORP load any faster with this?
Yes; mine loads in about half the time it used to, but still takes several seconds to load and the icon does not appear any faster, it takes about the same amount of time it did previously.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was a bunch of stuff installed. I just posted these 2 to give an example. However, what you say makes sense about items disappearing. It installed Off Road Pages, but it will not show until I enable it with my Tazer.
Did your Jeep come with the 8.4 unit or did you install it afterwards? I don't remember if that was an option for that model year. I'm guessing it being a Sport has something to do with it. I know ORP was originally supposed to be a Rubicon-only feature, but its rollout when the JL launched was such a disaster, I thought they unlocked it for everyone.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just got finished doing the upgrade on a buddies, stock 2021 JLU Rubi with 8.4 radio. He had last OTA update was about 4-5 months ago. Funny.... the guy is a tech at the local dealership..

Anyway, his install went just like the install @CarbonSteel and @jludave did. Every step was very clear and I saw the "Installing OffRoad pages" , message and other messages.. Update took about 35-40 mins..

The install was so so different then my install. With my update, I never saw messages and as I mentioned it was hours before all settled down.... before all was back to normal.

All I know is my weird install on my JL, was not what I wanted... not what I expected.. but all is well now.. All is running aok.
Sponsored