donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m at the Frisco, TX Jeep dealer. The 8.4 radio in my 2021 JLUR have won’t take the 40.1 update (TSB).

So they ordered me a new radio.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I’m at the Frisco, TX Jeep dealer. The 8.4 radio in my 2021 JLUR have won’t take the 40.1 update (TSB).

So they ordered me a new radio.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hope they can get you one in a reasonable time. My 2nd radio took 3 months to come in. They were on back order

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My next trip is to Easter Jeep Safari (EJS) 2023 in a couple weeks, should be ok. I do need it for early Summer, for a long trip.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The map updates are released 1-2 times per year. However, vehicles are not sold with the same map year as the model year by the time they are released.
This is understandable, and charging for map updates is kinda understandable, but if this is the case and your end product is shipping with maps that are already several years out-of-date, you should have an arrangement in place with the provider so that a customer is entitled to at least one free update after date of purchase.

Besides the fact that many stand-alone GPS products have long allowed for free updates, it's obvious that a customer would be rightfully angry walking into Best Buy and buying a Garmin GPS with far out-of-date maps if their only option was to immediately pay again for an update.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
I think yours is an escaped Canadian jeep! :)

Yes they just show up automagically.

After several phone calls to UConnect USA, I was told the Canadian software will not and cannot be updated OTA as long as the vehicle is in the US. Apparently there is some difference in the cellular networks. IF I were to travel to Canada or close to the border, then I may receive the OTA update if I was in the area long enough.

I did take it into the local dealer, they seemed to be baffled by my request to have the firmware changed from Canadian to US. UConnect says that the dealers can make the change. :headbang:

Jeep Wrangler JL New update for 8.4  Uconnect radio 1674406900587a

Last edited:

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Last week I finished a 1,500 relocation trip, pulled a Uhaul trailer. Luckily I had a good backup, my Garmin Overlander. Lifetime maps, and a true GPS, never missed a turn, no hesitation or erratic behavior, etc.

I honestly would LOVE to give Jeep's NAV a try, if only my 2021 JLUR didn't come with 2019 maps. #sigh

https://donmontalvo.com/2023/03/11/this-aint-my-first-rodeo/

Last edited:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Selling something that is used as new is illegal.
Digital content doesn't really age, I could be wrong, but it does display 2019.

jdecosta

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
Digital content doesn't really age, I could be wrong, but it does display 2019.
Maps and the data (POI's) do go out of date, I'm retired from the mapping industry from the largest provide of Infotainment and mapping systems. OEM's are the issue with out of date maps not the provider. Jeep decides the frequency of updates and what provider they use.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Maps and the data (POI's) do go out of date, I'm retired from the mapping industry from the largest provide of Infotainment and mapping systems. OEM's are the issue with out of date maps not the provider. Jeep decides the frequency of updates and what provider they use.
What I meant is Jeep didn’t promise 2022/2023 maps, they didn’t misrepresent 2019 maps as 2022/2023 maps. I believe there has to be intentional deception. Jeep is getting bad press for lack of due diligence, or complacency.

Sponsored

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
Picked up an iPhone recently and while within the city limits of where I got the phone it worked well in the Jeep, better than my Android. But then I got 15 miles out of town and T-Mobile couldn't stream the music and run CarPlay at the same time. OOPs

Rod

T-Mobile phone going back.

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
So in my search for a new "Smart Phone" I ran across a person who is using the Samsung Flip 4 in their vehicles for Waze and Android Auto. Might just be the solution I'm looking for and won't worry about the abysmal Uconnect except for maybe a Bluetooth connection. Anyone in a Jeep tried it yet?

Rod

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
That site does not work, ever. Not even sure why they have it up anymore.
Yes I've tried that too and it never works for anything since I have no updates but I do and they want money at the dealership to do it I don't know how to do it I read how to do it download it on the s USB thing and I don't I'm not smart at that

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I neeed one or two but at least one update to stop the radio buttons from freezing up sometimes. They told me what it was but I can't do it I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it You have to put it on a USB drive and then put it back into the radio and I don't know how to do that and the dealer wants about $185 to do it. Has anybody else ever had their butt and freeze up and that work sometimes then after it sits all night it'll work again it's supposed to stop that this new update. But does anyone ever have their radio buttons freeze up for a day or two ?
Sponsored