Sponsored

New (upcoming) Owner saying hi...

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Hello everyone -

New to this forum, but long time lurker. I'm on several other forums, since I'm a major "car" guy. I know the Jeep isn't a car, but you know what I mean :)

Actually writing and posting this thread is a long time coming, because I have been racking my brain on which vehicle to get for about a year now. I'm an engineer (was, do other things now) at heart, so internal mental debates with facts and numbers always rule my head. I already have a toy car (2012 Mustang, Marilyn, modded to 600whp), but I've been blessed with the opportunity to get another toy/fun car. So I even went to the extent of putting a deposit down on such another toy car, but quickly cancelled it (and got $ back) because it didn't feel right.

I wanted a vehicle that was:

- a convertible
- stick shift
- seat 4 (wife and 2 boys)
- moddable/customizable
- would hold it's value
- unique/looker
- power/fast

Let's admit, the Wrangler's weak points were the last 2 points.

Anyways, long story short - I placed an order last Saturday on a 2018 JL Sport S, Firecracker Red, 6 speed, Conv/Tech/Safety/Cold Weather, Prem Soft. Also decided to go with the polished granite wheels. For a moment there, I also debated going with Granite as I've always loved gunmetal colors. Went with red for more "flair". I was surprised to hear from my dealership that I already got assigned a VIN yesterday, and it has entered D status!!! Does this mean I'm less than 8 weeks away? I got that quick a VIN assigned within a few days from order? Is that normal?!?!?!?! I attached a pic of what she will look like.

red1.jpg
red2.jpg

I look forward to many discussions here on this forum. From the readings I've done on this site, you all seem to be a merry bunch. I'm in Iowa/MidWest, so hopefully there's some of you on this forum close by that we could all get together for jamborees, etc..

My initial plans are to get:

a) Side steps - I really like this Mopar. Thoughts?

Mopar_Tubular_Side_Steps_JL_4_Door.jpg

b) LED headlights - does anyone have info on available LED headlights (assembly and all, not just the bulbs) for our JL's yet? I searched, but sounds like only option so far is Mopar OEM for like 800+ bucks.

c) anything else you recommend? Wheels and tires eventually, I know... is it advisable to get bigger tires on the stock 17" polished granite wheels?
Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Welcome! Nice pick.
a) too wide, imo. I'm looking for a tube type step with diamond pattern embedded on top, no more than 4" out from the door plane.

b) got nuthin

c) You paid $900 for those wheels, so why replace them. You can go several tire sizes up from the 245s you got stock.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Welcome, let the fun/experiment/explore--BEGIN-

JIMBO

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Welcome! Nice pick.
a) too wide, imo. I'm looking for a tube type step with diamond pattern embedded on top, no more than 4" out from the door plane.

b) got nuthin

c) You paid $900 for those wheels, so why replace them. You can go several tire sizes up from the 245s you got stock.
Thanks for the input.

Regarding the side steps, I personally don't care for the single tube look - I prefer a flat step, but to each his own... that's ok.

The wheels comment, that is good to know - because I was hoping I could just change the tire size and use the same wheel. How big can I go before having to do a lift kit? I'd prefer not to do a lift kit... :(

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the input.

Regarding the side steps, I personally don't care for the single tube look - I prefer a flat step, but to each his own... that's ok.

The wheels comment, that is good to know - because I was hoping I could just change the tire size and use the same wheel. How big can I go before having to do a lift kit? I'd prefer not to do a lift kit... :(
From what i see on the forums the Rubicon tires are the biggest that fit correctly stock. 285/70r17. I'm getting a very similar build and that's what i plan to do.

KO2, Duratrac, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Terra Grapplers are the ones i have seen so far.

And congratulations on your Jeep!

Sponsored

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what i see on the forums the Rubicon tires are the biggest that fit correctly stock. 285/70r17. I'm getting a very similar build and that's what i plan to do.

KO2, Duratrac, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Terra Grapplers are the ones i have seen so far.

And congratulations on your Jeep!
Thank you! Yeah I will have to look into bigger/better tires in the near future. You ordered a JLUS as well?

There are so many things I have yet to learn about these Wranglers. I question whether I should keep reading though - I came across threads of frequent chipped/cracked windshields and also leaks in the tops. You guys all experiencing this?!?!?! What else should I be worried about? lol....

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Remember, the bad news/faults/failures are a very small percentage of the JLs sold--don't let it discourage you--

Read as much as you can and you'll get a lot more good hints/ideas than unhappy drivers-

I drove my '08 JKUR for over 8 years and beat the hell outta it--AND NOTHING FAILED--

I had a LITTLE water pump leak--re-torqued it BINGO--no more troubles--

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember, the bad news/faults/failures are a very small percentage of the JLs sold--don't let it discourage you--

Read as much as you can and you'll get a lot more good hints/ideas than unhappy drivers-

I drove my '08 JKUR for over 8 years and beat the hell outta it--AND NOTHING FAILED--

I had a LITTLE water pump leak--re-torqued it BINGO--no more troubles--

Good luck

JIMBO
Thank you - yeah, I figured that... I'm a Mustang guy, and active on another forum, and I too have never experienced any issues, and mine is even modded. But the only thing that people seem to remember or take away are the small # of folks who experienced issues. I would suspect the same here - but reading some folks getting cracked windshields driving home from the dealership, or within days of owning it, scares me. LOL. Maybe it's something I have to learn about owning a somewhat "upright" windshield vehicle.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Get a local rubicon owner to sell you their take off tires.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thank you! Yeah I will have to look into bigger/better tires in the near future. You ordered a JLUS as well?

There are so many things I have yet to learn about these Wranglers. I question whether I should keep reading though - I came across threads of frequent chipped/cracked windshields and also leaks in the tops. You guys all experiencing this?!?!?! What else should I be worried about? lol....
Yes - Mine is Sting-Gray and I didn't get the Safety Group and I got the factory side steps. Otherwise the same as yours. I don't just love the factory side steps so I may replace them down the line.

I wouldn't get scared off. Got to any vehicle forum and you will see the same thing. But if you can get a low deductible on windshield insurance I would consider it. Just sayin'.

Sponsored

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get a local rubicon owner to sell you their take off tires.
Good idea - will try to find some folks.

Yes - Mine is Sting-Gray and I didn't get the Safety Group and I got the factory side steps. Otherwise the same as yours. I don't just love the factory side steps so I may replace them down the line.

I wouldn't get scared off. Got to any vehicle forum and you will see the same thing. But if you can get a low deductible on windshield insurance I would consider it. Just sayin'.
I debated on getting the factory ones - but saw that they were cheaper elsewhere. I'm pretty handy and do all my mods myself (as is the Stang), so I figured I could do the steps on my own. But I do like the factory steps.

As for the insurance for windshield - right on. I plan to call MetLife the closer I get to KZ status... see my options.

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It is the Mopar performance parts option, yes. Wasn't an option for me to have installed by the dealer, and I wouldn't pay for them to tighten 6 bolts anyway. They are inexpensive online and simple to install.

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple things happened yesterday:

I stopped by the dealer and got an update on my order status. Ordered on 3/24, entered D status on 3/28... so today 4/7 she entered D1 status! Estimated ship is 4/21! My dealer estimated that it would be at the lot for me to drive home likely end of April or early May. You guys agree?

EF796F41-77F1-449D-96AE-721F1E511F5F.jpeg

95EC9B10-D162-4D7F-8786-192002764449.jpeg

I’m thrilled!

Secondly, upon hearing about the status change and having an estimated ship date, I placed an order for these:

- Mopar side steps - originally wanted the tubular one but decided that the larger width of the side step would serve its function better for my kids. I also thought that my kids would scratch and mar up the finish exposing the metal)

- Satin Black fuel filler door

- Mopar all weather floor mats!

- Switchback LEDs for the daytime running/turn signals. I’m still not seeing any good LED halogen headlight replacements.

I really can’t wait! Lol
Sponsored

Last edited: