Sponsored

New Uconnect CarPlay Issue: Music App Won't Open

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
I've been using the CarPlay Music app as well as playing music stored on a USB drive since I bought my JL. My phone is connected via the center console USB2 port, no issues with using CarPlay to date.

Today when trying to play music via CarPlay, I tapped the Music app icon on the headunit and the app attempts to open but then immediately closes, dropping me into the main CarPlay menu. I can start playing music via my phone, but when trying to navigate the Music app via CarPlay, the same behavior occurs - app attempts to open but closes and I am sent to the main menu.

Also interesting is when in map view with the 3 frequently used app icons to the left, the lower left doesn't display the 8 boxes of the main menu but the split screen icon option.

I don't see any indication of having received an OTA update.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Try rebooting your phone.

AlecStarr

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon Unlimited
I've been using the CarPlay Music app as well as playing music stored on a USB drive since I bought my JL. My phone is connected via the center console USB2 port, no issues with using CarPlay to date.

Today when trying to play music via CarPlay, I tapped the Music app icon on the headunit and the app attempts to open but then immediately closes, dropping me into the main CarPlay menu. I can start playing music via my phone, but when trying to navigate the Music app via CarPlay, the same behavior occurs - app attempts to open but closes and I am sent to the main menu.

Also interesting is when in map view with the 3 frequently used app icons to the left, the lower left doesn't display the 8 boxes of the main menu but the split screen icon option.

Anyone else seeing this?
This started happening to me last night. Could not get it to correct itself.

Raz4back

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma

Anyone else seeing this?
Mine was doing the same this morning. There had to be some sort of update if it’s happening to multiple people

OP
OP
LatteSipper

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jludave was right, a simple phone reboot resolved the issue for me. I'll have to keep that in mind, I rarely reboot my phone...

Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Had that happen last night on my Hyundai, every time I went to music it just closed. Today, no problems.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just picked up a 2018 Sahara and we're seeing this exact issue with both our phones, with any cable we've tried. Reboots of either phone has not helped.
Do you have the 8.4" radio? On some vehicles, the center console/armrest port will not work for CarPlay or Android Auto. There's no consistency to it. Some work, some don't.

Xafloc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Do you have the 8.4" radio? On some vehicles, the center console/armrest port will not work for CarPlay or Android Auto. There's no consistency to it. Some work, some don't.
Yes, it's the 8.4", and we're using the port that's below the display itself. I didn't know there was another port to use, will have to check that out.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes, it's the 8.4", and we're using the port that's below the display itself. I didn't know there was another port to use, will have to check that out.
If your center stack ports (USB C or USB A below the display) are not working, then you have another issue that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately, that calls for a dealer visit (if you are still under warranty).

Sponsored

Xafloc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
If your center stack ports (USB C or USB A below the display) are not working, then you have another issue that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately, that calls for a dealer visit (if you are still under warranty).
Thanks, we haven't tried the USB-C to Lightning yet, so maybe we'll give that a shot first.

OP
OP
LatteSipper

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
I lost all sound even radio and I run Android. I thought it was my stereo but I remembered the update and wondering if that has anything to do with it
Sponsored