Sponsored

New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Just dropped my jeep off for the issue described in this TSB.
Service Adviser: Whats it in for?
Me: Wandering Steering
Adviser: I know exactly the problem you mean. You have to do alot of this? Its worse on the highway? *demonstrates exactly how ive had to drive since I got it*
Bingo. So fingers crossed. Won't have it back til tuesday.
can you have that guy call my idiot service manager
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Don’t hold your breath on the track bar as a solution.
Mine was changed back in March at the same time the steering box was changed.
I checked and the service report shows the new one installed is in fact the new one
listed in this most current TSB. The Jeep regional guy knew it was coming out and
has one sent in for my Jeep.
There was some improvement but I can’t say whether it was the steering box or the track
bar that helped. All I know is after these were done I moved up the ladder from
terrible to manageable which has held me off while I waited for a real solution.

Was really hoping there was something new on the horizon that would help.

Last edited:

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
can you have that guy call my idiot service manager
Well just because my service advisor knows about the issue doesn't mean the technician won't call it a jeep thing.
So i may end up with Stupid yet

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Ordered new steering box last night. We'll see if that fixes my issues. Everything else is the updated parts.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ordered new steering box last night. We'll see if that fixes my issues. Everything else is the updated parts.
Hope you got the new “E” series.
A lot of people will be watching to see if you had improved steering with the new box.

Is the dealer installing or are you tackling this on your own. ??

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well just because my service advisor knows about the issue doesn't mean the technician won't call it a jeep thing.
So i may end up with Stupid yet
Problem is they know there is a real issue, but they just don’t have a solution. They don’t want to admit there is an issue as that puts FCA in a bad legal position. If they would just put
the needed resources toward a fix this entire issue could easily go away. Happy customers are repeat customers. I for one would hesitate on buying another product from them even though
it’s time to replace my wife’s car and she is liking the Renegades. Sometimes just a note from Jeep to say ,”hey guys we’re really working hard on this, please bear with us” would have gone a long way to assure us that plucked down $40 K + are being thought about. For what I spent I could have bought a lot of other brands that might have actually drove better than just ...tolerable.

Honda has a similar issue going on with oil dilution in CRV’s, Nissan has fought the “jutter “
issue for years with the pathfinders. Similarly if you ask about the problems the reply is as if your the only one who has ever mentioned it. Yet, go on their forums and it’s a livewire of a conversation....just like our collective steering issue is.

Poor Jeep Cares can only try to initiate a conversation between the parties and their
neither technicians or have the authority to approve a repair. Their almost in the same position as we are.

The solution lies with Jeep technical people to find the answer regardless of what it takes and get this out to the users. As a degreed marketing person, specializing in solving customer issues and collaborative processes I can tell you that until this occurs we will all be speculating on what parts to change, adding/reducing air in tires, torquing bolts and wishing on stars. . Maybe someone will stumble onto a series of fixes that will help and I sure hope they do.
Hopefully before a series of accidents occur and more lawyers find out that us dumb users are documenting the events and complaints and protecting ourselves for the legal fallout. Keep advising Jeep about the problem and keep your paperwork.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
god dammit. just got a voicemail from service manager. "its a jeep thing" fuck my new piece of shit jeep and the fucking dealer problems already
Sorry man, I have pretty much given up on Jeep and their customer service. I will buy a set of MetalCloak adjustable arms or the whole suspension package and just fix it myself.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Bought a Subaru for our daughter, one that has the engine flaw that burns oil constantly. Subaru won’t do a recall on it. Even did the process where you take it to a dealership, they do an oil change and measure the weight of the oil going in, then drive it for 3000 miles, drain and measure weight of oil coming out, to see the difference. Somehow this wasn’t enough. Even though we were putting in a quart every month, somehow their measurement wasn’t enough to consider ours flawed and fix it. Subaru can kiss my ass. Traded it in, and will never buy another.

All dealerships suck. My BMW dealership is good, but I can’t find a good dealership for any other brand.

At least FCA is issuing TSBs, albeit slowly, to address different components. There are like 4 or 5 for steering alone, computer program for 4 doors, steering stabilizer, track bar, tighten ball joint nuts and correct alignment, replace steering box,and I think there was one more.

I will never go to a dealership and have them do a TSB, I did my own stuff, these parts need upgrading anyway. My advice, if you got a steering box out of them, do the rest on your own, the 3rd party stuff is so much better anyway.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Hope you got the new “E” series.
A lot of people will be watching to see if you had improved steering with the new box.

Is the dealer installing or are you tackling this on your own. ??
Its warranty work

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Its warranty work
Let us know how it works out.
They did mine back in March and its the "D" series, some improvement but not quite over the hump. Hoping the "E" series is a fix so I can request a change to that one.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry man, I have pretty much given up on Jeep and their customer service. I will buy a set of MetalCloak adjustable arms or the whole suspension package and just fix it myself.
What if it's not a suspension problem causing the steering issue, and its a problem with the JL series steering boxes?
Now you just blew a lot of cash and time replacing parts that lead to no solution. On the positive side, at least you'll know you have the best suspension parts now.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I am hoping they find a fix. I ordered and a Rubicon and it has a May 2019 build so the dealers all say "all the STAR cases are included" so I keep getting the "Cant duplicate the problem." I finally went to my 3rd dealership and the Service Manager went on a drive with me and drove it under the same conditions I drive. He was very good and he actually had all the nuts and bolts checked for torque etc. He did notice an issue and had them check the alignment. The alinment was not correct so they fixed that. I can say that the Jeep is now tolerable as it made a big improvement. Prior this this the Jeep was DOWN RIGHT DANGEROUS TO DRIVE, as I live and drive in the country with 2 lane roads and no shoulders, I was seriously worried at all times that I would veer into oncomming traffic. Now it just has the 3 to 4 inches of slop/unresponsive steering at dead center. But at least it doesnt require 2 hands on steering wheel at all times. Overall this has been a terrible experience.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Yeah I'm going to do what I can. I'll get an alignment, The tires and wheels they put on aren't balanced so I'll get those balanced (had this problem before the tires and wheels that's just an added gift from the dealer). I'll get a fox steering stabilizer. and manage to get it safe enough. If it's a problem with the steering box I'll put my complaint on the pile and work with FCA to possibly get something done. I really wish the dealer would just start with a PCM flash but i get that if they admit that there is a problem then they have to work on it till it's fixed and no dealer wants to actually fix things unless they are forced to.

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Well after a week on vacation, came back, picked up Jeep. Unfortunately I was delayed so the service department was closed but the cashier gave me a single paper that said they adjusted the steering damper. So no trackbar for me. No other adjustment for me.

I guess I should be happy with the fact that they didnt go "Its a jeep thing" but also: screw you people.

Plus Side: The steering felt tighter, and the wandering felt less on the way home,

Bad: now I think my alignment is off. I had to hold the wheel slightly left the entire 3 miles home. I'm not exactly thrilled.. now the roads in PA are utter sh*t so im gonna drive it around a bit tomorrow to be sure. It was raining and traffic heavy so i couldn't really put it thru its paces today.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Well after a week on vacation, came back, picked up Jeep. Unfortunately I was delayed so the service department was closed but the cashier gave me a single paper that said they adjusted the steering damper. So no trackbar for me. No other adjustment for me.

I guess I should be happy with the fact that they didnt go "Its a jeep thing" but also: screw you people.

Plus Side: The steering felt tighter, and the wandering felt less on the way home,

Bad: now I think my alignment is off. I had to hold the wheel slightly left the entire 3 miles home. I'm not exactly thrilled.. now the roads in PA are utter sh*t so im gonna drive it around a bit tomorrow to be sure. It was raining and traffic heavy so i couldn't really put it thru its paces today.
If its just the steering wheel that's off, its an easy fix.
Sponsored