Sponsored

New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Some people have reported success, and some say no difference with the new trackbar. So it will depend on each individual case. A few in the other steering threads said the new AE steering box fixed everything.
Yeah, I'm not expecting a miracle, but if it improves the minor wandering problem I'll be happy with it. If not, I never found it bad enough that it diminished my enjoyment of driving the Jeep to start with so I'll be all right.
Sponsored

NCBound

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Yeah, I'm not expecting a miracle, but if it improves the minor wandering problem I'll be happy with it. If not, I never found it bad enough that it diminished my enjoyment of driving the Jeep to start with so I'll be all right.
Please let us know how it goes. Im working on getting this scheduled for my Jeep with Crown in Greensboro right now.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Mine went in today for the steering issue after my dealership giving me the "cannot replicate" bs. Test drove it with a tech and he agreed there is an issue. After looking at it, his thought was it's the steering box, guess we'll see. My build date is 1/24/19 so I'm past the trackbar replacement as it should have the newer trackbar.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
This is very helpful...

I just had the dealer replace the drivers side ball joints on my new 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon and adjust the alignment, which helped reduce the wandering, but did not eliminate it - they should have been tight from the factory with only 2000 miles on it now, but weren't.

My ball joints were clicking when turning. I found a thread on here with improperly torqued ball joints. I showed them the tread and they torqued them down and it's been fine since. I only mention this as I'm surprised to hear they replaced yours rather than torquing them to spec.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Please let us know how it goes. Im working on getting this scheduled for my Jeep with Crown in Greensboro right now.
Will do. Kernersville Dodge has the parts right now and I'm going to take her in tomorrow morning for the work.

Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Some people have reported success, and some say no difference with the new trackbar. So it will depend on each individual case. A few in the other steering threads said the new AE steering box fixed everything.
The track bar will fix the steering wheel shimmy, not the wandering around on the interstate.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The track bar will fix the steering wheel shimmy, not the wandering around on the interstate.
I wouldn't of thought the track bar would of helped wandering either but here are some references. There are other similar mentions in the steering related threads as well. Maybe a) the TSB from FCA that states wanders and replace track bar is just CYA or BS LOL b) JL owners reporting no wandering after track bar replacement is a placebo affect?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ring-wandering-issue.28326/page-6#post-678142

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 2.33.54 PM.png

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...all-steering-corrections-new-track-bar.33643/

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 2.32.47 PM.png

And searching Google for "track bar" "wandering" created many references as well, like this one:

https://carlisuspension.com/product.../03-09-components/dodge-adjustable-track-bar/ (not Jeep related but it does mention track bar and wandering issues)

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Just picked mine up yesterday and yes it has wantering/sloppy steering issues. 2019 2 Door Sport s fresh of the train. Built around the very beginning of July. It really feels like the steering assist is not working hard enough which hopefully can be fixed with a PCM flash. Lots of play in the steering wheel and when I turn in regular traffic, it doesn't really come back to center like it should. Feels like a Lazy steering wheel! Lots of drift and micro adjustments to keep it in the lanes on my hour long commute. I'm coming from a 2006 Wrangler so I know what a F@&king Jeep thing is and this is not a jeep thing. I have to take it back this week to get the right wheels and tires that I ordered on it so I'll get them to look at it then.

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I don't have the death wobble nor major wandering but I do have to do micro-adjustments non-stop. Jeep made March of 2019, picked up in june. Had the v41 recall done before purchase.

Call this morning and got the "have you owned a jeep before" line. I don't expect much from this dealer visit. Outside of Toronto here.
I have a March 2019 Unlimited Rubicon- same wandering DUI attracting problem as you

Darkcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I had this TSB done on my vehicle and it seems to have helped with my wandering issue. I actually notice the steering to be a little different in that it takes a little more effort to turn the wheel. (Not a lot but a little) I have a short stretch of road on my way home from work that am able to get up to 120 km/h and I was able to keep the Jeep going straight by holding the steering wheel in one position, and no longer have to make the small corrections. I have not had the chance yet to go on a longer drive at high speeds on a different road to see if the success continues. But you can safely put me in the "It helped" category. (2018 JLU Sahara built in June/July 2019)

Last edited:

Sponsored

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
Back from my appointment. Apparently its “just a jeep”. Reason for wandering is the cooper AT3s.....hmmm doubt it bud.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Back from my appointment. Apparently its “just a jeep”. Reason for wandering is the cooper AT3s.....hmmm doubt it bud.
Just had a similar experience with mine as well. Took it in twice to the same dealership for this issue. First time they said they could not replicate the issue. Second time (after I invoked Jeep Cares) they had me test drive with a tech, he agreed there's an issue and thought it was the steering box. Late yesterday they called me and said it's a Jeep thing and they test drove another Jeep similar to mine and it drove the same. Said there's a TSB on this but it's for the 4 Door version (I have a 2 Door) that would replace the steering box but they won't do it because FCA won't pay them back for the parts since the model is different. In the process of contacting Jeep Cares again on next steps, probably different dealership as I don't trust mine at all.
Did you try contacting Jeep Cares?

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've put another 500 miles on my '18 2 door since the new track bar and am still happy with how it drives. Much better than before, and I am able to enjoy the ride now. Tires are at 34 cold (per my tire gauge), gets up to 37 after driving for an hour at night or 39 during the day at 100* (per the TPMS). Alignment specs below:

IMG_20190718_143040.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I have the Jeep back now. I would say its about a 75% improvement. I could tell the difference with the steering damper right away, and I didn't have to make many adjustments on the drive. I'm satisfied with how the TSB went. :like:

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
Just had a similar experience with mine as well. Took it in twice to the same dealership for this issue. First time they said they could not replicate the issue. Second time (after I invoked Jeep Cares) they had me test drive with a tech, he agreed there's an issue and thought it was the steering box. Late yesterday they called me and said it's a Jeep thing and they test drove another Jeep similar to mine and it drove the same. Said there's a TSB on this but it's for the 4 Door version (I have a 2 Door) that would replace the steering box but they won't do it because FCA won't pay them back for the parts since the model is different. In the process of contacting Jeep Cares again on next steps, probably different dealership as I don't trust mine at all.
Did you try contacting Jeep Cares?
Canada here. JeepNoCares here!
Sponsored