Sponsored

New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I have the new track bar (2/19 build) and PCM flash and new steering stabilizer...steering is still loose and it wanders a little. Going to go all Steer Smarts and just be done with it.

Steering tab, fixes and part numbers
numbers
-TSB 02-203-19. Track bar with stiffer bushings. Tighten up steering but still isn't perfect and still flexes

-new updated steering box update. Part 68250506AE.

-Updated drag link. 68258760AD. Supposedly this was done without my knowledge when they did my trackbar update

-steering stabilizer update. Reduced death wobble to a shimmy
-retorque everything....swaybar and its ,inks, ball joints, drag link, trackbar, tie rods, uca and lca. Several members have found loose nuts.

-try running 30-31 psi cold

-examine your trackbar bracket welds

-update steering software

I've done everything but my steering box. Still getting bump steer, wiggle,very very light death wobble. Looseness in steering is at a reasonable level for a jeep or truck. I spent an hour driving jl with a tech today to show him the issues. He's going to suggest dealer replace steering box but also didn't know if this would solve remaining issues. He agreed with me that beefier components would likely reduce bump steer and death wobble.

This was on a 19 sport s without any lift, suspension, or steering related aftermarket parts. Has Goodyear wrangler AT tires
Sponsored

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For me, the change in caster angle to 6 degrees when I installed the lift really made a noticeable difference for the wandering at highway speeds.

I hear the best fix for the wander and bump steer is a beefier drag link and tie rod. That'll be my next mod.

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My 2019 JLUR built in May 2019 and purchased in May. Mine has all the updated parts new. Since then it has had another steering box and tie rod replaced with no improvement. I also replace lower control arms with MetalCloak adjustable and increased caster to 8 degrees. It does drive straight now and I feel the true wandering is gone, but......

I think a lot of this is getting confused between the wander and steering play and assist. I feel mine comes down to the play is causing a wandering feel. Mine drives perfectly straight until you make a correction and then it you seem to chase it back and forth. Not sure how to explain, but it is like the power assist is coming in late causing a small correction to be to much or to much assist (overboost) and then you re-correct the other way to have same thing happen.

What I don't understand is why some do it and some jeeps do not. I have driven one after another and one will be great and the next terrible.

I guess my purpose with this post is to warn that the Steer Smarts may not correct, I have read others that said it did not help and it's a lot to invest to not see much or any improvement, since it is very possibly not the area that is causing the problem. Not discounting steer smarts, I think it is good stuff and will make improvement, but there is no way it will correct the problem if the issue is in the steering box and/or assist. I think a good indication of this is PSC not coming out with improvements for factory box and electric pump and going straight to a conversion kit to take the JLs back to mechanical power steering. Hate to spend the money on it, but if Jeep doesnt fix something soon or I can't find another way to fix, might drop the cash. Waiting on some reviews on the PSC conversion

Just my 2 cents as I struggle thru the terrible steering!

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My 2019 JLUR built in May 2019 and purchased in May. Mine has all the updated parts new. Since then it has had another steering box and tie rod replaced with no improvement. I also replace lower control arms with MetalCloak adjustable and increased caster to 8 degrees. It does drive straight now and I feel the true wandering is gone, but......

I think a lot of this is getting confused between the wander and steering play and assist. I feel mine comes down to the play is causing a wandering feel. Mine drives perfectly straight until you make a correction and then it you seem to chase it back and forth. Not sure how to explain, but it is like the power assist is coming in late causing a small correction to be to much or to much assist (overboost) and then you re-correct the other way to have same thing happen.

What I don't understand is why some do it and some jeeps do not. I have driven one after another and one will be great and the next terrible.

I guess my purpose with this post is to warn that the Steer Smarts may not correct, I have read others that said it did not help and it's a lot to invest to not see much or any improvement, since it is very possibly not the area that is causing the problem. Not discounting steer smarts, I think it is good stuff and will make improvement, but there is no way it will correct the problem if the issue is in the steering box and/or assist. I think a good indication of this is PSC not coming out with improvements for factory box and electric pump and going straight to a conversion kit to take the JLs back to mechanical power steering. Hate to spend the money on it, but if Jeep doesnt fix something soon or I can't find another way to fix, might drop the cash. Waiting on some reviews on the PSC conversion

Just my 2 cents as I struggle thru the terrible steering!
Which steering box do you have? AD?

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Which steering box do you have? AD?
Yes, here is all the major steering components. To the best of my knowledge they are all the current design as of today 7/24/19

Box is P68250506AD

Steering Damper is P68251580AE

Tie Rod is P68297671AD

Track Bar P68394087AA

Drag Link P68258760AE-01

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If I had to describe what's going on, its like driving with rubber bands. The Jeep will start drifting out of the lane, and as I correct, nothing initially happens, then it goes too far and I have to correct back the other way. I've gotten used to it, but if this is something that can be fixed, I'm all about it.
It's kind of like riding a horse - Little to left Trigger!

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There's a video on youtube where the owner claims a flash fixed it, if I remember right he said his computer was programmed as a 2 door and he was 4.

Like you said, it feels like an electrical issue, not a mechanical issue. Is there a way to disconnect the electric assist, fuse maybe? It would be interesting to test this theory.
Is there any way to tell if the JL has that flash applied or not?

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
LMAO that's totally right.

Maybe it'll respond to clicks...

There's a video on youtube where the owner claims a flash fixed it, if I remember right he said his computer was programmed as a 2 door and he was 4.
Do any 2 doors have this issue?
Like you said, it feels like an electrical issue, not a mechanical issue. Is there a way to disconnect the electric assist, fuse maybe? It would be interesting to test this theory.
Yes two door Wranglers have steering problems too.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Why do I have to be insistent on the fact that it wanders? Just replace it, better yet just replace it with a QUALITY aftermarket unit of my choosing. So sick of these after-action item issues, fixes, and whatnot.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a May 19 build as well, had the big deadspot in steering.

Only fix is adjusting the screw from the steering box, some drive well and others don't because the steering box adjustment is tighter than others... there is no other variable.

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a May 19 build as well, had the big deadspot in steering.

Only fix is adjusting the screw from the steering box, some drive well and others don't because the steering box adjustment is tighter than others... there is no other variable.
Tried that as well. Some improvement but no much. Went over a 1/4 turn thru a bunch of small adjustments. Hate to go too far. Also on second gear box.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Tried that as well. Some improvement but no much. Went over a 1/4 turn thru a bunch of small adjustments. Hate to go too far. Also on second gear box.
1/4 and only slight improvement... ?

You need to get under the jeep while someone turns the wheel, look at all the steering components and see where the slack is and report back.

If the slack is in the steering box do more adjustment then and drive around the block, the box wont explode on you... do it by feel until it turns freely but slack is 90% gone.

Where is your tire psi at?

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
1/4 and only slight improvement... ?

You need to get under the jeep while someone turns the wheel, look at all the steering components and see where the slack is and report back.

If the slack is in the steering box do more adjustment then and drive around the block, the box wont explode on you... do it by feel until it turns freely but slack is 90% gone.

Where is your tire psi at?
I was planning on adjusting more, now that there is a new revision of the steering box and pcm flash, I will be working with dealer to get that done next.

I've looked at it, looked for play, had two dealers look at it, had independent mechanic, independent alignment. One dealer says its fine, other says its not right, but drive similar to other Jeeps on lot. We all feel it is in box and steering assist. Decided to wait a bit to see if new box was coming, sound like it is here now.

Air pressure is 30-32 cold.
Sponsored