Sponsored

New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
TSB # 02-003-19 Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.
GROUP: 02 Front Suspension
DATE: June 21, 2019

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the front track bar.

NOTE: If the vehicle symptom/condition is described with a sustained shake or shimmy in the steering wheel, as in the V41 recall, this bulletin should not be performed. Please refer to any open CSNā€™s, RRTā€™s, and other service documentation for that concern.

MODELS:
2018 - 2019
(JL) Jeep Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NorthAmerica, APAC and EMEA.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after October 15, 2017 (MDH 1015XX) and on or before January 22, 2019 (MDH 0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe:
ā€¢ Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Inspection Procedure.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: A test drive is required to verify that the symptom/condition listed above is the customer concern. If a shake or shimmy is felt on the test drive this bulletin does not pertain.

1. Does the vehicle wander and require constant small steering corrections?
ā€¢ YES>>> Proceed to Step 1 of the repair procedure.
ā€¢ NO>>> This Bulletin does not apply. Normal diagnosis should be performed.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 68394087AA Track Bar LHD
1 (AR) 68394094AA Track Bar RHD

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.35.48 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.35.57 PM.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
When I search the Mopar part number on google, the images that come up seem to indicate that it's an entirely new designed track bar. Even Quadratec's image is that of a track bar that looks more similar to the JK track bar despite it stating that it is for an 18/19 JL. Interesting if they reverted back to the solid bar design!

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I test drove two different ā€˜19 JLU Saharas.

They both felt like they wandered, and required frequent minor steering corrections. That is, compared to every other modern vehicle I have ever driven.

I have never driven any other Jeep, or other vehicle with a similar front axle / steering setup, so I canā€™t really say if it was normal Jeep operation, or not normal Jeep performance.

As others have mentioned, I think a lot of dealers are going to say normal / canā€™t replicate after a test drive.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
They both felt like they wandered, and required frequent minor steering corrections. That is, compared to every other modern vehicle I have ever driven.
Having a 2015 (JK, older model) Wrangler that is not known for having steering problems, I can say that they do require a bit more attention than say, driving a Camry. The problem is that dealers are incentivized to trivialize all of your problems because they hate doing warranty work. And I'm pretty sure that most of the people complaining here have a legit problem with their steering.

Gradofan

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2dr
This is very helpful...

I just had the dealer replace the drivers side ball joints on my new 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon and adjust the alignment, which helped reduce the wandering, but did not eliminate it - they should have been tight from the factory with only 2000 miles on it now, but weren't.

Mine was built in early December 2019, so it qualifies for this TSB. And the part number of my track bar is: P68317849AA vs those noted in the TSB as the new part numbers.

But, I have no idea of what the RHD and LHD means? I assume it means "Right Hand Drive" vs "Left Hand Drive" (UK and Postal Workers)

I've notified my Service Rep, and I assume he'll schedule mine for replacement.

Thanks...

GRRRJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Based on the Facebook page, and here, I decided to send my JL to check on the inch of play I have when traveling above 50mph.

I honestly was led to believe that itā€™s just a JLU thing, but my dealer immediately replaced both track bars and a couple of bushings (not sure which ones) which they claim was part of a service bulletin. They then did an alignment.

On my way to pick the car up. Excited to see if there is any improvement.

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wifeā€™s)
Based on the Facebook page, and here, I decided to send my JL to check on the inch of play I have when traveling above 50mph.

I honestly was led to believe that itā€™s just a JLU thing, but my dealer immediately replaced both track bars and a couple of bushings (not sure which ones) which they claim was part of a service bulletin. They then did an alignment.

On my way to pick the car up. Excited to see if there is any improvement.
Whatā€™s the verdict? Any improvement? Thanks.

Terryg43

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2Dr.
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully we'll see a response back from GRRRJLU soon as I'm experiencing the same issue . Will be contacting my dealer .

MKC JL

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU ,2019 Cherokee Limited
After 1900 miles I decided I was tired of dealing with the wandering on my 18 Sahara JLU. I took it to the dealer to fix an issue with the TC light staying on before I got rid of it. They replaced the parts & reflashed the PCM. When I picked it up I was amazed.

Steering is 90% better,transmission shift points are better & firmer and it feels like a completely different vehicle.It's never driven this nice. I may still trade it on a 2 door but the decision is much harder now.
Sponsored