Sponsored

New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
So what's a guy with a 2 door, February 2019 build date, supposed to do? I guess I'm imagining the wandering since I'm not in a 4 door and the build date is after the end of the TSB time frame. Lame.
Sponsored

Terryg43

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2Dr.
Occupation
Retired
My JL Sport S 2 door was built 06/18 and due to the constant minor steering correction issue I have had since I took delivery a year ago June my dealer just in the last two weeks has replaced the Steering Damper and installed the new Track Bar . Neither of these were recalls to my Jeep. Unfortunately the problem still exists. Nothing has changed . Dealer claims the Toe In change on the TSB isnt necessary. With that said I'm taking it to a reputable front end alignment shop and get it corrected per FCA's new updated specs . Will report back .

Last edited:

threejeeps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

This is a 17 second experience of my two hours on the road each way. Poker straight highway, 115 km per hour.
I would say this is normal for 2018 JLU Wranglers in general, but it is not right.

This was exactly how my '18 JLU Sahara drove and because I have a lift and tires got the it's normal / it's a Jeep / could not replicate / drives just like the new ones on the lot thing from my dealer(s). So that just tells me they are all bad or they don't want to help!

Last week I returned from a weekend camping / road trip where my family would not drive the Jeep on the highway because of the steering. That to me was enough. Because I knew my dealer would not do anything, or just rob me of all my money, I ordered a Steer Smarts Yeti XD adjustable track bar. I did the install myself and had to center my steering wheel too, but, my JLU steering is the best it has ever been.

After the track bar upgrade and about 100 miles of driving I would say almost all of the wandering is gone. I could actually take my hands off the wheel and track down the road...in my lane!

My advice to anyone with this problem is to just order an upgrade part and grab your tools. Save yourself the hassle of convincing a dealer of the problem. It's money well spent and the install is pretty straight forward.

JL Sahara

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Finally had to change dealerships to one that listens and doesn't treat me like I'm an idiot
Without any questions, the new dealer I went to performed the track bar TSB, Helped mine about 50% , also performed the A/C fan TSB as they noticed it was loud .
Love the service from the new dealer I went to, however only 50% better for wondering , yet steering is slightly stiffer , This I like very much

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
My advice to anyone with this problem is to just order an upgrade part and grab your tools. Save yourself the hassle of convincing a dealer of the problem. It's money well spent and the install is pretty straight forward.
The problem is how much do we have to spend on a brand new vehicle in the long run? What if you spend the $300 on a track bar and it doesn't help? Then get an after market drag link for $400? Oh that didn't work? You need fox steering stabilizer for $500. That didn't work? You need to replace the steering box thing for $1500. Still bad, get an alignment for $150. That didn't work? Get new tie rods for $500. That didn't work? get new ball joints for ??...

Sponsored

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
Agree here. With my JL sitting outside the dates of the notice, it will be a war to get it done. For those like me, you have to find a fantastic dealer, do it yourself or wait for a potential recall.

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Have had my Jeep a month, and also have had this wandering issue...but I barely drive the highway so the constant micro adjustments while annoying, i was able to deal with.
Then twice this week i took the highway, its darted both right and left into the other lane, and to the point where it has now almost caused me to have an actual accident.
Made appointment for this for wednesday, and told them I would be leaving it with them for a week because im going away.
11/18 build, so i hope they don't give me "Its a Jeep thing" and put the new trackbar on. Told them i'd also like that new steering box, make it happen.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The problem is how much do we have to spend on a brand new vehicle in the long run? What if you spend the $300 on a track bar and it doesn't help? Then get an after market drag link for $400? Oh that didn't work? You need fox steering stabilizer for $500. That didn't work? You need to replace the steering box thing for $1500. Still bad, get an alignment for $150. That didn't work? Get new tie rods for $500. That didn't work? get new ball joints for ??...
And let's say an aftermarket part does fix it. After all that cost, the dealerships will say that the warranty is void on the other steering and suspension components, including the steering box.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Back from my appointment. Apparently its “just a jeep”. Reason for wandering is the cooper AT3s.....hmmm doubt it bud.
they seem to say whatever they can so they don't have to fix it

Sponsored

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Despite my build date falling before the window, there was a 3-letter acronym that they claimed made me ineligible for the tsb. Everything functions as normal, yadda yadda.

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Just dropped my jeep off for the issue described in this TSB.
Service Adviser: Whats it in for?
Me: Wandering Steering
Adviser: I know exactly the problem you mean. You have to do alot of this? Its worse on the highway? *demonstrates exactly how ive had to drive since I got it*
Bingo. So fingers crossed. Won't have it back til tuesday.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Will be very curious as to how this plays out. I think the TSB is for tracker arms. I thought there was possibly another bulletin about a new steering box (with a AE suffix)
Really hoping this helps you so please keep us posted.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
god dammit. just got a voicemail from service manager. "its a jeep thing" fuck my new piece of shit jeep and the fucking dealer problems already
Sponsored