New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

Stan_Smith

First Name
Stan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
I have excessive free play on 2019 (April build). Dealer says FCA is building adjustable steering gearboxes. Waiting to hear back from the dealer.
Advertisement

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
I have increased my caster to 7 and toe to 0.34 total along with a Rough Country track bar and finally my 2018 JLU is about 95% perfect. Also went from the 245/75/17 tires to 285/70/17. Trying to drive it over 50 before was too much "work" to keep it in my lane, but now it is It's where it should have been from the factory.

First time I brought into dealer FCA Help Desk told dealer to check torque on all ball joints. Very interesting coming from FCA and verifying that they know these Jeeps are coming from the factory with loose steering components. They then checked toe and it was WAY out of alignment. After that they said that's all they could do, so I read and researched this problem and made some changes that helped just about solve my issues.

Full description to what I did. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/to-lift-or-not.37380/page-3#post-844317

Aceman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I had exactly the same experience on my first highway trip. The thing is, this is my first Wrangler so I thought - hey, this is how these Wrangles drive... Then I looked at other, older, Wranglers that were passing me on the highway and I couldn't understand for the life of me how they could keep their Jeeps in the center of the lane, while I was wandering around the lane like a drunken man! Some of them were even driving with one hand on the wheel. I thought - hey maybe this is a learning curve. I'm a good driver, I can get the hang of this Jeep.

I'm a very experienced driver with many thousands of hours under my belt. And yet I couldn't take my eyes off the road to change a channel on the radio or work the GPS. The drive was not only nerve wracking, it was outright dangerous and I also almost found myself on the median guard rail in a highway turn that I've done many many times before with other vehicles. Then I found the thousands of postings on this forum complaining about exactly the same problem!

So my question is - if an experienced driver like myself can hardly handle this vehicle on the highway, to the point of almost losing control, than - how many less experienced Jeep drivers actually DID lose control and perhaps DID have an accident? How can FCA/Jeep allow this to go on for so long? This is such a huge liability, not to mention a turnoff for future customers... I am not going to let my wife or my kids drive it, that's for sure.

What I haven't mentioned yet is that my Wrangler is a brand new 2020 model. I got it 2 weeks ago. Yes --- they have Not solved this problem in the latest and greatest model year...!:( I really hope they come up with a good solution soon.
Keep me up to date on your progress. I got nowhere with the first dealership I went to, as they didn't even drive it on the highway or do any diagnostics. I'm gonna try another dealership further away from me and see what they say. Many have mentioned adding aftermarket track bars, LCA's, etc but I'm not footing the bill for those parts + labor on a brand new $45k vehicle. Also, log a complaint with NHTSA. There are many complaints regarding the steering - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/JEEP/WRANGLER%2520UNLIMITED/SUV/4WD#complaints

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
When I search the Mopar part number on google, the images that come up seem to indicate that it's an entirely new designed track bar. Even Quadratec's image is that of a track bar that looks more similar to the JK track bar despite it stating that it is for an 18/19 JL. Interesting if they reverted back to the solid bar design!
I have the new one, it's the exact same track bar utlized on jeeps until Jan 2019, the only difference is bushings, and it is NOT solid as pics would suggest...

wv18jl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Just saw this

Will schedule an appointment with my dealer

They have been perfect for me since 1991 so this shouldn't be a problem

Will update later with results

BrntWS6

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Does this help at all with steering issues for those that have had it done? I already have the new steering box and everything feels good. But I may bring the jeep in for the passenger seat poping. If this makes any difference I will ask them to put a new one in. If it's just bushings I cant see it being a dramatic difference.

Advertisement

Hothead Headliners

Advertisement